It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D703] Won't budge and has frozen display
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 03:58 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I am having a problem where the display looks frozen with everything lit and the player has become unresponsive. The power button just blinks and won't turn the unit off once it s has been turned on. I was attempting to do an alignment and tried jumpering the test mode to ground, but I wasn't sure what it meant and may have touched the wrong ground. (If I get out of the woods on the unresponsiveness, anyone who knows which things to jumper, please reach out.)

I tried removing the tray because I thought I was having the sync issue. When the player was working, I did unplug it with the tray open, but I'm unsure which thing I did broke the player. I have moved the pickup to both the CD and LD switches on the track hoping it would finish its cycle. But now it just sits there. Have I bricked it?

Post subject: Re: CLD-D703 won't budge and has frozen display
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 04:01 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Also, the video is not working, so I'm not pulling an error code.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 18:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like you shorted something.

Attached is an image of the CLD-D703 Test Mode point with a red square around it. You stick something in the hole and touch the other end to the chassis while turning the player on.

Why do you think there is something wrong with the alignment?

Attachments:
CLD-D703_Test.jpg
CLD-D703_Test.jpg [ 438.42 KiB | Viewed 1621 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 20:29 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Really bad cross talk towards the end of the disc and excessive wobble when spinning. Also, the thing is over 20 years old and has shipped at least twice at this point.

So I did try to do exactly what you showed and it didn't start the test mode, so I poked around with the other jumpers connecting to the test mode label and tried to short it to other jumpers that said ground close by.

Is there anything that I can do short of going component by component in the player and testing them? I bought the player broken, so I'm not at a huge loss, but seeing as these are getting rarer...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 22:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You do not need to put it into test mode to fix the crosstalk unless adjusting the tilt offset did not fix the problem. The wobble sounds like disc warp or maybe something is wrong with the clamp.

That test point will for sure start test mode. It is just a little difficult to make contact with it from the top of the board.

The only thing I know to do is to get the service manual and service guide (the latter is available here) and check everything that was touched. Other members here might suggest a better approach or to look at something else.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 22:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wonder if the sound is just something OP is not used to for an LD.
They are large and do make sound unlike a DVD or Bluray.

Wobble does sound like warp but it all depends on how sensitive our OP is.

Try to do less than more at first, all adjustments should be very minor, if its playing but has bad crosstalk I would try to not adjust too
much unless you have over 100 discs from different collections or have been tested in other players.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 06:00 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

@ Rein-O: I was lucky enough to grow up with LD! The sound didn't bother me and I have seen other players that looked smoother and more stable when revved. Plus, pausing CAV doesn't give me a solid picture like I'm used to, especially towards the end of the disc where it seems worse. Even the OSD flickers during frame by frame.

@CPlusPlus: I realize that I could have done just that one adjustment, but so much of the pleasure of this is learning how the players work. I have a scope and the test disc and I was hoping to have a new-performing player for $50. I don't even know if the player needs alignment, I'm just excited to do it. I also want to recap, do a clock mod, change the diodes, get an rf tap for domesday captures, tap the video after the tbc and run it through that new-fangled comb filter from analogue devices. I don't know how to do any of this, but I know how to stay alive around a power supply, so I'm planning on moving forward it if it can be saved.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 16:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

5cofflaw wrote:
Plus, pausing CAV doesn't give me a solid picture like I'm used to, especially towards the end of the disc where it seems worse. Even the OSD flickers during frame by frame.

This is normal if you are using a modern display like a LED TV. If there is frame jumping when you pause though, that is not normal.

5cofflaw wrote:
I don't even know if the player needs alignment, I'm just excited to do it.

Honestly, when I pick up a player from an original owner or at least someone who has taken care of it, the most I usually have to do is adjust the tilt offset. I just put in the test disc, check #115, #475. If it needs adjustment, it usually isn't far off. You don't want to start messing with centering, grating, etc unless you have to.

The CLD-D703 is an expensive player to learn on, so I'd recommend getting a cheaper broken late model player if you want to go that route.

Very helpful things:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2020, 16:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good, you have to understand a lot of people here post and are new to LD and don't know what to expect.
So this was a bad guess, sorry.

As for some of the issues C+ is right.
Older LED or types of sets will be better than newer for the trick play etc.
Good luck with the repair.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2020, 21:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

A quick update, I was able to jump it into test mode, but I'm getting no picture and no mechanical response from the player. If I power it on without jumping into test mode, the power button blinks and nothing happens until I unplug the machine.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]