It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:29

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D505] No Power / Standby
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 15:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I had a power surge at my house a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that my D505's standby light was no longer lit. Consequently, the player will not power on. Every other electronic item on this surge protector still works, and it still says it's protected.

From my limited research, I see that this is fairly common with the D505 and that the player may not be completely dead. I've opened it up to try to check the fuse, but I can't seem to manually open the laserdisc tray. I can get the CD tray to slowly start to open, but I can't figure out the LD tray. Anyone have any pointers on this?

Also, am I wasting my time even dealing with this? I know this is a marginal player, but it actually fits in my cabinet (!) and has an AC-3 RF out.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D505] No Power / Standby
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 17:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr covers it here: [CLD-D515] How to open the tray manually?

The arc suppressors I've seen are labeled D6 at the back of the unit, near the glass fuse. A yellow band is on one end.

lodefhifi wrote:
Also, am I wasting my time even dealing with this?

No.

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 18:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Definitely you are not wasting time dealing with a power supply issue.

It’s only a waste of time if something else gets damaged like a control IC or any part that can’t simply be replaced. Power supplies are usually going to have common parts that can easily be procured.

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 20:42 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Appreciate the quick responses, and I'm glad that the consensus is that I'm not wasting my time!

From the linked post, they reference pictures regarding opening the LD tray that are now broken links. I'm still fairly unclear on this.

If anyone has any guidance, I would be most appreciative!

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 21:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Looking at the side of the player where the power supply is, there is a white pulley towards the front of the player with a belt around it. This is what needs to be turned by hand. The tray selector is a white slider piece near the front of the power supply board. If you look where the power supply's ribbon cable makes a 90 degree turn, the tray selector will be above it.

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 16:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Once again, truly appreciate the replies.

I believe I see this slider piece but still can't seem to get the LD tray to move. The CD tray is what's ejecting. In the other post, it mentions pushing this slider piece. Is that what I need to do? It doesn't seem like it wants to move when I push, pull, or move it any way.

PostPosted: 19 May 2020, 17:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Once the optical assembly is raised all the way up (in the play position), you apply pressure to the tray selector while turning the pulley. Turning one direction on the pulley ejects and the other loads.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 18:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

cplusplus wrote:
Once the optical assembly is raised all the way up (in the play position), you apply pressure to the tray selector while turning the pulley. Turning one direction on the pulley ejects and the other loads.

I got the LD tray open, based on this advice. Thanks!

As far as the suppressor goes, is it the one labeled D106 in the photo linked below? There's a video on Youtube where someone fixes power issue by replacing the fuse and removing this diode. Finally, does removing this diode require any soldering? I'm a little wary of that, since I've never done it before.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 19:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

First thing you should do is get a voltmeter so you can measure components to see if they are up to snuff. Just changing parts randomly might be a quick fix or it could end up creating a bigger issue. And yes, everything is going to require soldering so that's another thing you need to be skilled at.

I have a Marantz AV Receiver w/ what I assume is also a bad power supply board. From what I can tell after testing it w/ my voltmeter, it's looking more like two damaged resistors so that's why one can't focus on a particular part as culprit until you can test it.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 02:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

That fuse looks toasted. Try popping a new one in first. I’m currently battling the same power board: fuse is blowing immediately.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 03:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just cut one side with wire cutters to remove it from the circuit, put in a good fuse and see if it works. If you want the arc suppression buy a power strip or wall adapter that has arc suppression.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 19:01 
Third post and above
Third post and above

As some have said, the best thing to do is start testing components. I’ve had some time today to start desoldering and testing parts to solve my fuse blowing issue....thus far Q101 is shorted and D204 and D206 are weak.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 22:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

skere26 wrote:
That fuse looks toasted. Try popping a new one in first. I’m currently battling the same power board: fuse is blowing immediately.

He needs to remove the MOV (arc suppressor) for a new fuse to work otherwise the blown MOV will short again and blow the new fuse right away.

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 22:40 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:
Just cut one side with wire cutters to remove it from the circuit, put in a good fuse and see if it works. If you want the arc suppression buy a power strip or wall adapter that has arc suppression.

Thanks, Kurtis. Always appreciated. You actually helped me out with an E0 error (I think) with this same player about a year or so ago, maybe on AVS Forums. Are you saying cut one side of D105 that's visible from the photo with wire cutters, then replace the fuse?

I'd hate for this to be my first shot at soldering anything, so if I can avoid that, then awesome.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D505] No Power / Standby  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 23:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As others stated D105 shorts and blows the fuse if an arc occurs, the problem is Pioneer chose a ARC suppressor with too low of an rating and it can blow by just plugging the unit into an outlet. So you can just cut one of the leads so it does not make contact or cut both leads and remove it. The replace the fuse with another with the same ratings, they should on printed on the board by the fuse.

There is nothing special about this type of ARC suppression, that is why you can just buy a arc suppression outlet adapter or power strip to get the arc suppression.

Kurtis

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 21:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
So you can just cut one of the leads so it does not make contact or cut both leads and remove it.

So Kurtis, there is no need to bridge the connection if one removes the arc suppressor all together?

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 23:36 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:
As others stated D105 shorts and blows the fuse if an arc occurs, the problem is Pioneer chose a ARC suppressor with too low of an rating and it can blow by just plugging the unit into an outlet. So you can just cut one of the leads so it does not make contact or cut both leads and remove it. The replace the fuse with another with the same ratings, they should on printed on the board by the fuse.

There is nothing special about this type of ARC suppression, that is why you can just buy a arc suppression outlet adapter or power strip to get the arc suppression.

Kurtis

Cutting both leads, removing D105, and replacing the fuse got me back up and running. No soldering required. Gonna leave this unplugged when not in use.

Thanks, Kurtis!

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 04:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
krbahr wrote:
So you can just cut one of the leads so it does not make contact or cut both leads and remove it.

So Kurtis, there is no need to bridge the connection if one removes the arc suppressor all together?

The arc suppressor is normally an open circuit, an arc creates a short and shorts the power to ground blowing the fuse to protect the remainder of the unit. A bridge would create a short from power to ground.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]