It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:16

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-A100] Back from the dead
PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 23:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi, first post here.

I recently bought a fully serviced CLD-A100 with a PAC-S10 and while LD playback is flawless, the device keeps rejecting CDs (and you know how critical it is on this device since it's kinda the whole point of it). It depends on the discs (I'm talking strictly factory pressed here) but it will usually detect it as a CD, but when I hit play it will either

A - Eject the full tray
B - (With PAC-S10 and Sega CD format disc) attempt to read disc, give the usual two clicks from the laser assembly but seemingly give up on reading the disc, and never "unfreezing" the PAC-S10 BIOS screen or reporting an error (can't hit "play" again or eject due to how the device operates with a PAC plugged in).

When A or B doesn't happen, it will sometimes struggle to read tracks when prompted by the game program and either spend an unnatural amount of time seeking it until it plays or just give up and not play anything at all. The Sega CD games I attempted to play on it were Popful Mail, Lunar 2, Final Fight, all factory pressed. Final Fight is the only one that operates with zero issues after the initial boot and funny enough, a Taiyo Yuden burned copy of Snatcher also works flawlessly.

Aside from that read issue, it seems that the spindle (?) makes this loud "skipping" ticking noise that gets quieter the farther the track is from the center of the disc. This happens both on CDs and CLV Laserdiscs (don't have any CAV ones to test).

You guys have any troubleshooting steps I can take to see if I can remedy these issues? I believe all capacitors are replaced and that the device did not have these issues prior to shipping, I really have no reason to believe the seller lied to me. Thanks!

edit: It died in a spectacular display of bad luck. Details to follow.

edit2: if anyone is wondering what happened - I sent the device to the tech guy and he fixed everything that got burned after I somehow made a short inside the machine, but the laser was toast. Bought a compatible player for cheap and harvested its laser (it was a shame since the device seemed to be noticeably nicer than the CLDA100 even though it used the same mech and tray!). Now I'm back at square one since it still struggles with Sega CD, and still makes the spindle skip noise. I think I'm just gonna keep this as a conversation piece or something.

Last edited by laserpunch on 04 Nov 2020, 03:48, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-A100] Acting up with Compact Discs
PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 00:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Is all of this happening with the Sega PAC installed? And have you tried any CDs that aren’t SegaCDs?

Last edited by signofzeta on 29 May 2020, 00:05, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 00:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've never had one of these.

Do you actually put the Sega CD games in the regular CD tray??

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 00:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

No, it has an external CDROM.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 00:30 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
No, it has an external CDROM.

It loads stuff out of the CD tray Zeta, I'm not sure what you're talking about with "external CDROM". And yeah it happens with or without the Sega PAC and the only music CD I have seems to load fine, but with that same drive noise I mentioned.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 01:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The external CDROM drive comment was a joke. Clearly Rein-O asked a stupid question, I was just messing with him.

You have $$$$$ worth it SegaCD stuff and only one music CD? Did your house burn down or something?

It’s odd that CD audio plays and games rarely do...

I guess what I would do is take the cover off and watch for whatever is making the noise. I’m not sure what your experience level is with LD but the players are loud and the A100 isn’t one of the quieter ones. There will be a lot of commotion, especially at the beginning of CLV movies. If something is making noise above and beyond normal then that needs to be attended to even if it isn’t the problem.

Do you have any actual MegaLDs?

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 01:27 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
The external CDROM drive comment was a joke. Clearly Rein-O asked a stupid question, I was just messing with him.

You have $$$$$ worth it SegaCD stuff and only one music CD? Did your house burn down or something?

It’s odd that CD audio plays and games rarely do...

I guess what I would do is take the cover off and watch for whatever is making the noise. I’m not sure what your experience level is with LD but the players are loud and the A100 isn’t one of the quieter ones. There will be a lot of commotion, especially at the beginning of CLV movies. If something is making noise above and beyond normal then that needs to be attended to even if it isn’t the problem.

Do you have any actual MegaLDs?

I had most of my stuff sold so not many physical media stuff here. No MegaLDs (yet). The sound issue is with the constant clicking/ticking noise I'm having while playing back any media. Sometimes it's remarkably quiet but most of the times the noise manifests itself.

I haven't opened it yet but I made the thread because I thought it could be a common issue. Will try to investigate it but I'm a complete noob with Pioneer LD hardware so I can't promise any progress on it... :lol:

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 01:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No I was trying to find out if OP was putting Sega CDs into the regular CD tray.

Really couldn't understand what they were asking and wanted to make sure.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 05:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
No I was trying to find out if OP was putting Sega CDs into the regular CD tray.

Really couldn't understand what they were asking and wanted to make sure.

I'm only busting your bees because you're so hard on everyone else when they ask stupid questions. As with other players that have both 12" and 5" trays you can drop any disc in there that fits in either tray and run it from there, like you can play a CDV without turning on CD Direct. It doesn't matter how it gets in there, it will play it. It just plays one (or two...three actually) more formats and has functions specific to the module installed. LD performance is massively better with the module out. At least with the Sega PAC it plays all the video through its buffer so its garbage. Sans module its basically an S201 and shakes like it.

I think the ticking noise may just be regular LD noise.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 14:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, was having a discussion with my wife about a new dishwasher for our kitchen, they have these cheaper but noisy machines
but people give them horrible reviews since they are noisy and want a super silent life in their home.

Could be normal sound for LDs but could also be a spindle.

Reminds me of the time when I was with a friend at a pawn shop, another customer asked if we knew the value of guitars,
friend pipes up and says a little. So the guy asks what his tan acoustic guitars is worth, looks kinda like that one.......

Hard to figure out what's wrong with Monaco when there are no pics or videos.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 17:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I was thinking centering might be off, but if audio CDs work, it probably isn't that.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 18:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

blam1 wrote:
I was thinking centering might be off, but if audio CDs work, it probably isn't that.

I wouldn't discard that hypothesis since I had such a small pool of Audio CDs to test it with (1!). As I said some Sega CD games are spit out of the machine even without the PAC installed (they should always work as Audio CDs as they're mixed mode Audio/Data discs).

How do I check if centering is off?

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 20:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If it’s rejecting the CD with the PAC out then I suspect it isn’t mounting correctly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]