It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-737] Power Issue
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 04:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Picked up this player recently for super cheap, was listed as "does not turn on", I diagnosed this as being a disconnected ribbon to the front control panel, once connected I was able to get a standby light, and turn on the player.

Now, the odd part is, when it's been off for 4+ hours, you can turn it on and use it for about 2 minutes, play disks etc, but then it shuts off and eventually if you keep trying to turn it on the standby light dims then goes out.
Letting it sit unplugged for a while makes it work again briefly, with the length of time you leave it increasing how long it works.

To me this screams capacitor failure on the power supply, I've ordered a bunch of capacitors that I didn't have in stock, as well as some polyester 473K, 223K and 103K caps as the ones it has look a bit past it too.

Has anyone had similar experiences?, also would you recommend I also change the large 560uf 200v capacitor even though it looks okay?

From what I can see, it's the Japanese release for the CLD-D702 and while the power supply is marked VWR1118a it most closely matches the VWR1179 in the D702 service manual.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-737] Power Issue
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 07:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds very much to be a capacitor(s) issue since it partially runs. If it was a bad transistor, diode, resistor, etc.; it most likely wouldn't turn on at all.

Did you notice if any caps were bulging or if the wrap around any of the caps seemed be shrinking? Those can be good signs of problems. As for replacing the big cap, you can decide to do that once you replace the others and see how the unit runs.

Good luck with it and keep us updated. I'm always curious about everyone's repair experience as I now have to deal w/ a vintage VCR that I just fixed and now it appears to be having a new issue that could be one or more caps that are dry (been bugging my wife of letting me get an ESR meter to test caps but they are expensive).

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 08:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
Sounds very much to be a capacitor(s) issue since it partially runs. If it was a bad transistor, diode, resistor, etc.; it most likely wouldn't turn on at all.

Did you notice if any caps were bulging or if the wrap around any of the caps seemed be shrinking? Those can be good signs of problems. As for replacing the big cap, you can decide to do that once you replace the others and see how the unit runs.

Good luck with it and keep us updated. I'm always curious about everyone's repair experience as I now have to deal w/ a vintage VCR that I just fixed and now it appears to be having a new issue that could be one or more caps that are dry (been bugging my wife of letting me get an ESR meter to test caps but they are expensive).

i didn't notice any of the caps anywhere in the system looking leaky, bulging etc, but its my experience that they can look perfectly normal and still be way out of spec, ill just replace all the caps and poly caps on the power board and go from there, if it means recapping the entire system i may as well!

I paid roughly $20 for this player, but also have a (currently non-working) Denon LA-250C which, for all intents and purposes works fine, but the laser diode is dead, so im on the lookout for a laser unit from any of the following : CLD-100, CLD-500, CLD-700, CLD-1070, CLD-1570K, CLD-K50, CLD-K80, CLD-V500, CLD-V700, CLD-V900, LD-870
As they all use the exact same part as this LA-250C, the actual player only cost me $5, but I'd like to get both fully working!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 18:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah sounds like caps to me. Also check the supercapacitor on the main board. I've had to replace two. See the images I posted here: [CLD-3080] Vertical Lines

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2020, 19:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nanoshock wrote:
i didn't notice any of the caps anywhere in the system looking leaky, bulging etc, but its my experience that they can look perfectly normal and still be way out of spec, ill just replace all the caps and poly caps on the power board and go from there, if it means recapping the entire system i may as well!

That is correct. They can be simply dry and look absolutely normal. This is essentially a similar issue I have been having on my surround processor (which I will once again provide an update to once I do more testing ) and it appears that I am finally getting to the point where the issue has been reduced quite a bit (22 new capacitors and counting :crazy: ).

nanoshock wrote:
I paid roughly $20 for this player, but also have a (currently non-working) Denon LA-250C which, for all intents and purposes works fine, but the laser diode is dead, so im on the lookout for a laser unit from any of the following : CLD-100, CLD-500, CLD-700, CLD-1070, CLD-1570K, CLD-K50, CLD-K80, CLD-V500, CLD-V700, CLD-V900, LD-870
As they all use the exact same part as this LA-250C, the actual player only cost me $5, but I'd like to get both fully working!

At this point, with player stock becoming less and less available, we have no choice but to save and resurrect what is possible. Good luck on that and I'm sure you will find one of those players with a good pick-up. I just picked up a good working Sony, DVP-S300, DVD player to become a donor for my DVP-S7700 that appears to have a dead DVD pick-up (CD portion is still fine). If I had to buy this pick-up new, it would cost me possibly $200 and it would not be guaranteed to work since most of these are coming from China and the quality is suspect. I picked up the DVP-S300 for $20 and the laser hours based on the service menu were pretty low :thumbup:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 09:51 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So after fully recapping psu and the majority of the logic board, it seems the logic board is the part at fault, I picked up a CLD-535 which is basically identical in every way barring a different logic board, and swapped over everything but the logic board and it exhibited the same issue, so what I did instead was swap over the entire laser assembly to the CLD-535 which has now given me a fully working CLD-535, and the partially working 737, I've ordered a junk 737 (doesnt read disks) from which to salvage parts, because while the A to B flip mechanism in the current 737 isn't working right, the laser does actually work, so the plan is to swap the laser into the second 737 and anything else that's needed, at which point I should have a fully working CLD-535 and CLD-737.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]