It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D704] Disc load problems and shrieking noise
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 00:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I recently acquired a Pioneer CLD-D704 via eBay based on its reputation here. Video output when it works is beautiful, however I have two problems I'd like to resolve.

1. Disc load: The player will consistently not accept a LD. The player will take in a disc, then I hear a motor spinning noise, followed by the disc tray ejecting rather than starting play. If I fiddle with the machine and switch to side B it will sometimes start playback, then allow me to switch back to A and play the disc. This is an exercise in timing and button sequence I haven't quite figured out yet. I'm wondering if this could be the belt issue I've read about.

2. After the disc has spun up, and upon changing sides either A to B, or B to A, and also sometimes randomly during playback the machine will shriek like a car's power steering belt.

Are both of these issues the loading belt and grip ring concerns I see discussed here?
[CLD-D704] Support?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
San Diego

Players:
Panasonic LX-1000U (bought in 1992 as display demo from Good Guys of Sacramento)
Pioneer CLD-D704 (eBay purchase Nov 2020)

--------------------------------------

While I love my old Panasonic, it's getting finicky in its old age. It no longer recognizes CDs, and refuses to play some LDs which may have varying degrees of disc rot (The Fugitive, AnimeIgo's release of Madox-01/Riding Bean etc.). But, I plan on keeping it and seeing if I can restore it to full function.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D704: Disc load problems and shrieking noise
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 00:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Need a new grip ring. VEB1237 on eBay.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 00:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

samaase614 wrote:
I recently acquired a Pioneer CLD-D704 via eBay based on its reputation here. Video output when it works is beautiful, however I have two problems I'd like to resolve.

1. Disc load: The player will consistently not accept a LD. The player will take in a disc, then I hear a motor spinning noise, followed by the disc tray ejecting rather than starting play. If I fiddle with the machine and switch to side B it will sometimes start playback, then allow me to switch back to A and play the disc. This is an exercise in timing and button sequence I haven't quite figured out yet. I'm wondering if this could be the belt issue I've read about.

2. After the disc has spun up, and upon changing sides either A to B, or B to A, and also sometimes randomly during playback the machine will shriek like a car's power steering belt.

Are both of these issues the loading belt and grip ring concerns I see discussed here?
[CLD-D704] Support?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
San Diego

Players:
Panasonic LX-1000U (bought in 1992 as display demo from Good Guys of Sacramento)
Pioneer CLD-D704 (eBay purchase Nov 2020)

--------------------------------------

While I love my old Panasonic, it's getting finicky in its old age. It no longer recognizes CDs, and refuses to play some LDs which may have varying degrees of disc rot (The Fugitive, AnimeIgo's release of Madox-01/Riding Bean etc.). But, I plan on keeping it and seeing if I can restore it to full function.

You need to buy a SCQ3.8 load belt and then for the spindle motor grip pad slipping on the side change either buy the VEB1237 replacement on eBay or clean the grip pad and coat it with PlastiDip.

Wish people would ask me what I have refurbished before they buy.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 04:37 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr, thanks very much. I'll get those parts asap.

Re what you have refurbished, I've only recently rejoined this site so I'm not aware of who many of the knowledgeable people are. Do you buy and re-sell machines, or simply refurb them as a hobby?

Thanks again,
Scott

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 01:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There are a few of us that resell or refurbish players further discussions I think belong in the laserdisc hardware category. Think it is a hobby for everyone.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 22:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah honestly I probably enjoy servicing/restoring/repairing/refurbishing players just as much as watching them.

I highly recommend Kurtis. He has decades of experience.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D704: Disc load problems and shrieking noise  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2020, 10:04 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks again very much for the recommendation to pick up a SCQ3.8 load belt. That solved both problems. Discs now load perfectly, and I haven't heard a peep out of that squeal on disc flip. No spindle grip pad needed so far. The load belt was a super easy replacement.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]