It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 08:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-3080][CLD-95] Insulator Sheets  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2020, 20:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have seen two CLD-3080s and one CLD-95 with rust on the interior of the bonnet (and to a lesser extent the boards) from what appears to be the insulator sheets. Has anyone else seen this?

These are foam-like sheets that insulate the video and audio boards on the left a right side from the cover. Another issue is these insulators dry rot. I pulled them off my CLD-3080 a while back, but for this CLD-95 I would like to either replace them (I'm not sure with what) or maybe just apply something like ASI 388 (silicone) to the interior sides of the cover.

Attachments:
CLD-95_Corrosion.jpg
CLD-95_Corrosion.jpg [ 253.93 KiB | Viewed 1481 times ]
CLD-95_Insulator.jpg
CLD-95_Insulator.jpg [ 218.31 KiB | Viewed 1481 times ]

Post subject: Re: [CLD-3080][CLD-95] Insulator Sheets
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2020, 21:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hmm...that foam probably absorbs humidity and then sheds it again over and over with the weather trapping minute water vapor in the area.

What do we think the point of this stuff is? Just to more isolate the PCBs from the case’s influence? Maybe some sheet plastic of some sort could be substituted.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2020, 23:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You're going to need that foam for insulation from the metal and I'm assuming its thicker to prevent the pcb from vibrating against the metal.

As for rust that's a crazy one, could it be from the glue somehow???

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 01:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Hmm...that foam probably absorbs humidity and then sheds it again over and over with the weather trapping minute water vapor in the area.

Yeah I think this might be it. The foam absorbs humidity causing the rust. This player is from the original owner and was the cleanest of the chassis I've ever seen on the inside.
signofzeta wrote:
What do we think the point of this stuff is? Just to more isolate the PCBs from the case’s influence? Maybe some sheet plastic of some sort could be substituted.

I think it might just be to keep the boards from coming into contact with the cover, but I'm not totally sure. I don't know if "foam" is the appropriate description either. It seems like this material would be the type to tear if you were to attempt folding it (back when it was new). I have seen thin plastic shielding on the bottom of power supplies, so I could use that material as a replacement but I would really like to try to find whatever this is and replace it. I know I could just rip it off like I have done before, but I think something as nice as a CLD-95 deserves proper restoration.
rein-o wrote:
You're going to need that foam for insulation from the metal and I'm assuming its thicker to prevent the pcb from vibrating against the metal.

No glue on the exterior portion of the insulators, just two or so spots on the inside where it attaches to the PCB via foam spacers. And yeah these might also serve the purpose of dampening sound?

Attachments:
Insulator_Closeup.jpg
Insulator_Closeup.jpg [ 180.71 KiB | Viewed 1465 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 02:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't think sound as much as vibration and accidently hitting the solder with the bare metal.

Or possibly the sound from it banging against the metal.
I've only seen something like this on the tops of I think the 3070??

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 18:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Probably so.

Yeah the older players have it on the interior tops of the lids. I've seen it from the CLD-3030 to the CLD-3090. It is thicker (about 1/3in) and also dry rots, but much less brittle. I don't touch it since I don't have to when servicing a player. These insulation sheets attached to the boards get in the way though and can crumble from just taking the lid off/putting it back on.

I ordered a roll of black 1mm thick foam that I hope will suffice.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 21:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Honda uses this stuff: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/produ ... 5-000.html

It’s basically foam tape, stretchy if you need it to be. They give you this with dealer kits so you can secure the wiring for a trailer plug or compass mirror or whatever and it won’t resonate. I wonder if it’s the same idea.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2020, 23:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you replace it you need to purchase an ESD insulator sheet. It does not do anything for noise suppression or improve performance, it is an insulator to prevent shorting contacts/pins. Protects the electronics if you put the top on while energized. You would be fine to just leave it off.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 02:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks Kurtis. I ordered 1mm black EVA foam which looks identical, but as you indicated it is important it is the appropriate material. So I went through and clipped any long leads (the rectification diode leads on the audio board were excessively long) and I'll just run it without them for now. At some point I'll add AC-3 and maybe revisit this at that time.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]