It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D702] Broken pickup gears?  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 03:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a CLD-D702 that makes a gear grinding/clicking sound when the pickup moves. I think the issue is that the two more yellowed gears in the center are spinning freely when they should instead be spinning in tandem. It is way too easy for the pickup to move along the rail, but I don't see any cracks in the gears or bad teeth.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Attachments:
VWT1086.jpg
VWT1086.jpg [ 206.56 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D702] Broken pickup gears?
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 09:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My 701 had an issue that sounds like yours and the cause in my case was a sticky adhesive on the laser pick-up ribbon cable that was binding up the operation.

The reason the sticky adhesive was on the cable was because there used to be a plastic retainer of sorts attached to it that acted like a spring board to keep the cable taught as it extended and retracted w/ the pick-up assembly.

In any case, I found the retainer just stuck in an awkward angle on the ribbon cable so I completely removed it and used baby oil to carefully clean off the adhesive. I never re-installed the retainer and the player works fine without it.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 16:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
there used to be a plastic retainer of sorts attached to it that acted like a spring board to keep the cable taught as it extended and retracted w/ the pick-up assembly.

I have a CLD-3090 that makes a different clicking/grinding when the side change gear goes to hit the turn mechanism in the back. I removed this piece as well on mine, and it helped. I'll make sure there is no adhesive as well.

I have a CLD-D502 I'm glad I haven't parted with yet so I guess I need to take a closer look at the two.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 19:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Mystery solved. This motor assembly lifts out quite easily with only one screw holding it to the rest of the carriage assembly and one screw that holds a plastic clip on top. Two broken teeth on the gear underneath the yellowed ones. VNL1353. Luckily I have a donor unit and was able to easily replace it. Fingers crossed that is all this unit needs.

Attachments:
Slider_Assembly.jpg
Slider_Assembly.jpg [ 175.35 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]