It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD-D505 Service Manual Req and Tilt/Focus Adjustment Proced
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 16:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Looking for a scan of the CLD-D505 manual. I need this to adjust focus and tilt. I have a spare unit that a few years ago had trouble moving around flipping sides sometimes, then eventually it started giving E codes on start. Put new grease on the rails and that works fine, but it seems about a minute into a disc it jumps back about 5-10 seconds and keeps replaying that spot. Gears look OK. M-Holder is not bad as I replaced it with a new one anyways just sure. Laser might be going bad, but I would like to try alignment procedure before declaring it a junk/parts unit.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D505 Service Manual Req and Tilt/Focus Adjustment Pr
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 18:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Use https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D504/CLD-D504-EN-Service-Manual_Scan.pdf

I don't think this is focus or tilt.

Will it play a CD?
Do you have an oscilloscope?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 22:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have not tried to play a cd. I do have an oscilloscope.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2021, 23:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the CD skips or won't play, check tangential and centering first. It is covered in that SM, but here is a little better description (going off memory so double-check me):

Tangential (highly recommend an analog scope for this, but you might can get by with persistence mode on a digital one):
Remove tray from unit. Attach scope probe to pin 3 (RF). Set scope to 20mv/1us AC, 10x probe. Adjust until eye pattern is clear and maximum. Put 8" LD in, go to side B frame #115 and do the same. You really need a GGV disc for this, but can probably get by with an 8". With a GGV you can look at the bar pattern on the screen and adjust until its clean.

Centering:
Put the player into test mode. Remove tray from unit. Attach scope probe to pin 9 (Tracking Error). Set scope to 50mv/10ms DC, 10x probe. Put in a CD. Move the pickup to the S-IN position. Start playback. Tilt servo needs to be on, tracking needs to be off. Turn Side A centering screw with a large flathead until the amplitude is maximum. Take out the CD and put in a 8" LD. Start side B playback with tilt servo on, tracking off. Unscrew the black locking screw on the top plate. Using a flathead adjust the white centering screw until amplitude is maximum. Tighten the black screw back.

If the locking compound has not been broken on the tangential adjustment points and you don't have a GGV disc, I wouldn't touch it.

Don't put locking compound (I use cheap fingernail polish) on anything until you have watched a few discs and everything looks good.

With the E error, it might not even be adjustment related but I thought I would post the above just as an FYI.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 02:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

cplusplus wrote:
If the CD skips or won't play, check tangential and centering first. It is covered in that SM, but here is a little better description (going off memory so double-check me):

Tangential (highly recommend an analog scope for this, but you might can get by with persistence mode on a digital one):
Remove tray from unit. Attach scope probe to pin 3 (RF). Set scope to 20mv/1us AC, 10x probe. Adjust until eye pattern is clear and maximum. Put 8" LD in, go to side B frame #115 and do the same. You really need a GGV disc for this, but can probably get by with an 8". With a GGV you can look at the bar pattern on the screen and adjust until its clean.

Centering:
Put the player into test mode. Remove tray from unit. Attach scope probe to pin 9 (Tracking Error). Set scope to 50mv/10ms DC, 10x probe. Put in a CD. Move the pickup to the S-IN position. Start playback. Tilt servo needs to be on, tracking needs to be off. Turn Side A centering screw with a large flathead until the amplitude is maximum. Take out the CD and put in a 8" LD. Start side B playback with tilt servo on, tracking off. Unscrew the black locking screw on the top plate. Using a flathead adjust the white centering screw until amplitude is maximum. Tighten the black screw back.

If the locking compound has not been broken on the tangential adjustment points and you don't have a GGV disc, I wouldn't touch it.

Don't put locking compound (I use cheap fingernail polish) on anything until you have watched a few discs and everything looks good.

With the E error, it might not even be adjustment related but I thought I would post the above just as an FYI.

OK. I have an older analog Tektronix scope so I should be OK there. I don't have the test disc yet, but clearly need to get it before I touch anything here. I'll give it a try sometime after I get the disc and report back. Thanks for the tip.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]