It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:54

Page 1 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: [CLD-D704] CD Stuck with Buzzing Noise
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 20:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello all!

I have been using my Pioneer CLD-D704 for quite a while with no issues, but yesterday I ran into a big problem. When I finished up playing a CD, I went to eject the disk and got a terrible buzzing sound. The disk would not eject and the buzzing sound went away after it went through what I would assume was the eject cycle. When that did not work, I went to power the unit off and got that same buzzing sound.

In the Imgur gallery posted below, you will see in picture three what happens when I attempt to turn the unit on. The message "CLOSE" appears (with the same buzzing sound) and then picture one shows what appears after that message leaves. It appears the disk is now not being read at all as I cannot play the current disk stuck inside. I included a picture of the inside of the unit in the gallery as well incase that helps troubleshoot as I am really at a loss as to where to start in fixing this issue.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pbxD2MP

As I said, at this time, I am unable to get the current disk I have in there out and I am also unable to play that disk. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be given as to how to get this player back to the great working condition it was not even 24 hours ago.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D704 CD Stuck with Buzzing Noise
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 21:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I assume you've tried pressing the direct CD button?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 21:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You’re going to need a screwdriver.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 21:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

takeshi666 wrote:
I assume you've tried pressing the direct CD button?

Correct. When I initially was listening to the CD, I was playing it in Direct CD mode. Went to eject from direct CD and had the issue described above. Then I turned off direct CD (it made the same buzzing noise) and tried ejecting and got the same results.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 21:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 22:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like a loading belt issue.

Were there other symptoms prior to the jam up like the tray retracting on it’s own or the B side on LD refusing to engage?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 22:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
Sounds like a loading belt issue.

Were there other symptoms prior to the jam up like the tray retracting on it’s own or the B side on LD refusing to engage?

The loading belt is what I was thinking based on looking at other issues. I did not experience any such problems prior to this happening.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 22:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well... if you never replaced it, probably time in that case.

Just need to figure out how to retract the tray. Once you do that, you remove the clamper to give yourself more room to get to the belt.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

ldfan wrote:
Well... if you never replaced it, probably time in that case.

Just need to figure out how to retract the tray. Once you do that, you remove the clamper to give yourself more room to get to the belt.

I sincerely appreciate the picture! Getting the current disk out is where I am stuck at right now. It appears the clamper is on the CD stuck in the tray right now. Would taking the clamper off first make getting the tray out easier?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yes. Remove clamper to retrieve CD.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

From the pictures the laser is back too far, for the unit to open it needs to be closer to the spindle motor. Try pushing it forward or turning the motor gear on the side to move it forward and then try to open. If when you try to do anything it just runs to the back again then the micro switch on the laser pickup itself is bad or intermittent. Let us know what happens.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
From the pictures the laser is back too far, for the unit to open it needs to be closer to the spindle motor. Try pushing it forward or turning the motor gear on the side to move it forward and then try to open. If when you try to do anything it just runs to the back again then the micro switch on the laser pickup itself is bad or intermittent. Let us know what happens.

I appreciate your reply and I plan I fixing this later tonight. However, I apologize if this is a stupid questions but where exactly is the “laser” you are speaking of on the unit? From the picture above, would it be connected to the clamper?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 03:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

So I have taken off the clamper and included a picture in case it is an issue there. Right now, I am having trouble figuring out how to release the tray from the unit. When I try to push the unit back, I get a lot of resistance and no real movement from the tray. Any ideas on how to get this out?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 04:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:

So I went ahead and did this and the laser simply went back to the original spot immediately after start-up. I'm guessing this is probably not good and a significant fix, correct?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 05:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You’re going to have to unplug the unit. There is a stop just below the front of the laser. Put the laser just on the spindle motor side of that. Then remove the top right audio board and feel underneath the tray at the front and you’ll be able to feel the pulley to turn and lower the mechanical assembly, you’ll see that stop come up behind the laser as the assembly lowers. Keep turning and the tray will come out. Then you can remove the laser and solder in a new micro switch.

Or push the laser forward toward the spindle motor with power off. Then you’ll see a little screw at the back of the rail. Unscrew the rail. Lift it up and put it back down a couple times as this should exercise the micro switch. If this is intermittent it should then work again for a while after you put the screw in and power it on.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2021, 03:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

luckyseven wrote:
krbahr wrote:

So I went ahead and did this and the laser simply went back to the original spot immediately after start-up. I'm guessing this is probably not good and a significant fix, correct?

There is also a micro switch in the turn mechanism. I've seen this be out of sync and cause the pickup to want to go all the way to the back. If you remove the Red-Brown-Orange connector from the top of the assembly and power the unit on, the pickup shouldn't move to the back of the player. If that is the case, you'll need to disassemble the turn mechanism and set the switch back in the right orientation.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 16:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Welcome Luckyseven! There a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people here. There are also some people who are just snarky.

*Most* of the suggestions that have been made are all very good and from some of the best people here.

I sincerely hope you get this fixed so you can continue to enjoy LDs, good luck!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 04:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Sorry for such a long wait all. This time of year is very busy for me at work so I have not been able to touch the unit in a while. I have a buddy who repairs all sorts of electronics, mainly turntables, and he said he could take a quick look at it... He told me the gear mechanism is worn and that those particular parts are hard to find he believes. We both obviously know that this is not this line of work but I value his opinion and thought I would share it with you guys and see if that would help me figure out a course of action moving forward.

I'll have the unit back this weekend and will be able to work on it a bit. Before I sent it off to my buddy, I was able to lift the rail as mentioned by krbahr but that did not solve my problem. I do not have much experience with a soldering iron and would be hesitant to put a new microswitch on.

I appreciate all the help given by everyone so far and really hope I can get this unit back working again.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 14:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

luckyseven wrote:
He told me the gear mechanism is worn

I don't think so. Just make sure he doesn't make the player worse off than it already is.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 16:19 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

cplusplus wrote:
luckyseven wrote:
He told me the gear mechanism is worn

I don't think so. Just make sure he doesn't make the player worse off than it already is.

I appreciate all the help I have gotten thus far and I apologize for the delay in getting back to everyone. This time of year is a busy time for me at work so I have no been able to work on this project like I would have liked to. With that being said, I was able to get the player back from my buddy and I do not believe the gear mechanism is worn. I was able to play around a bit and I actually got the unit to work. I was able to play CD's (and eject them as well) as well as laserdiscs. My laserdisc flipped from side A to side B with no problem but when side B was done, I ran into the same issue that got me here. The laserdisc will no longer eject and I can't seem to be able to force the tray out of the player. I have the top off the unit, but I am unsure where to go from here.

I believe it is a simple alignment fix because the unit was working flawlessly before the final laserdisc got stuck. As I said, I appreciate all the help I have gotten thus far and look forward to hearing back so that I can get this thing back working again!

Page 1 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next