It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D701] Power connector disconnected
PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 22:29 
Third post and above
Third post and above

First time posting, but have reading a lot. I just received a CLD-D701 and tray would get stuck so I replaced the belt. Motor that flips laser wasn't working at all I disassembled the back panel and found the power connector to the motor had detached the red wire. Any way to reattach it without soldering? I might have an soldering gun somewhere

Post subject: Re: CLD-D701
PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 23:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

geshat00 wrote:
the power connector to the motor had detached the red wire. Any way to reattach it without soldering? I might have an soldering gun somewhere

Nope, you will also need some solder as there may not be enough to make the connection.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D701
PostPosted: 25 May 2021, 02:34 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
geshat00 wrote:
the power connector to the motor had detached the red wire. Any way to reattach it without soldering? I might have an soldering gun somewhere

Nope, you will also need some solder as there may not be enough to make the connection.

Well I'll have to buy a new one as I either threw mine out or gave it to a friend. Thank you for the quick response!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D701] Power connector disconnected
PostPosted: 25 May 2021, 03:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

NP but just from recent experience I picked up some cheap solder on ebay and it was really bad and didn't flow like it shoud.
So careful with that.

I would just pickup a cheapie at harbor freight, will come with solder etc.
If you have one near by.

PostPosted: 25 May 2021, 22:33 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
NP but just from recent experience I picked up some cheap solder on ebay and it was really bad and didn't flow like it shoud.
So careful with that.

I would just pickup a cheapie at harbor freight, will come with solder etc.
If you have one near by.

Yes I picked a kit up at HD. Didn't realize they're LED now. Just wondering how common this is with the wires breaking? I do realize it 30yr old electronics also just realized it's actually a 702 not a 701.

PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 01:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

geshat00 wrote:
Just wondering how common this is with the wires breaking? I do realize it 30yr old electronics also just realized it's actually a 702 not a 701.

Wires coming loose has a lot to do with whether this wire is in motion in the player. Flat ribbon cables on the laser pick-up can develop cracks over time if the player is used quite a bit.

I have a lot of these Alpha Turn players and I haven’t experienced any issues w/ wiring coming loose or any cold solder joints in general.

Make sure when you solder the cable back that you apply enough solder and heat to ensure no cold solder. And if this cable does move with some mechanism, see about providing some strain relief if that is possible. Might help if you provide a pic so we can see what you are describing.

PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 02:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
geshat00 wrote:
Just wondering how common this is with the wires breaking? I do realize it 30yr old electronics also just realized it's actually a 702 not a 701.

Wires coming loose has a lot to do with whether this wire is in motion in the player. Flat ribbon cables on the laser pick-up can develop cracks over time if the player is used quite a bit.

I have a lot of these Alpha Turn players and I haven’t experienced any issues w/ wiring coming loose or any cold solder joints in general.

Make sure when you solder the cable back that you apply enough solder and heat to ensure no cold solder. And if this cable does move with some mechanism, see about providing some strain relief if that is possible. Might help if you provide a pic so we can see what you are describing.

I tried to upload a picture, but I don't think it allowed me to. Here I'll try again

Attachments:
20210524_171937-01-02-01.jpeg
20210524_171937-01-02-01.jpeg [ 438.49 KiB | Viewed 811 times ]

PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 21:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That part (I believe) travels w/ the flip mechanism so there should be little stress on the wire.

Looks like it just simply wasn't soldered well enough or maybe somehow got caught up in the mechanism. I'm sure once you solder it back it should hold fine from here on out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]