It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1850] Laserdisc not spinning
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 08:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

My player accepts discs, the tray rises and locks, the laser moves but the disc doesn't spin.
It sounds like the motor is trying to spin the disc but it doesn't move.
After a few seconds it ejects the disc. The display only says "open"
Yet it plays CD's fine.
I have cleaned the laser with alcohol on a cotton bud and the checked the rubber belt that moves the laser and although it seems a little loose it seems fine.
I have inserted a disc and disconnected the power when it loads and I can spin the disc by hand quite easily.
Any suggestions would be great.

Post subject: Re: CLD1850 laserdisc not spinning
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 18:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What happens if you try to help the LD turn?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 05:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds like it could just be a load belt issue. The symptoms sound pretty much identical the the ones I was having.

Does it make a kind of winding down buzzing noise before spitting the disc out?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 09:30 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for the replies,
I did get it to play once Today by turning it off using the power button as soon as the disc had loaded and raised off the tray.
When I turned it back on the disc lowered back on to the tray but did not eject.
I pressed play and the disc raised, began to spin and played. It changed chapters and would FF and REW as normal.
I stopped it and it didn't eject the disc so I played it again and again everything worked as normal.
I stopped it and ejected the disc and then loaded it again and had the same problem as before.

I tried to replicate getting it to not eject the disc by turning it off using the power button and even by turning the power off at the switch as soon as the disc loaded, but haven't been able to get it to play again, it just keeps ejecting the disc.

I have tried to help the disc spin and though the disc spins easily, it doesn't keep spinning by itself.

It doe's make a light buzzing noise before it ejects the disc.
Can you explain what you mean by the load belt, please ???

I found a service manual on here but the only adjustments it mentions involve the picture, however it also had an attachment for the CLD1700 and it mentions an adjustment which aligns the rack which raises and lowers the spindle and laser, so perhaps that alignment is out ???

Last edited by sneem26 on 13 Apr 2021, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 09:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sneem26 wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by the load belt, please ???

The belt that opens and closes the tray also moves the clamp in place to spin the disc up, unfortunately that part takes a bit more force so a loose load belt might not be able to complete that part of the task, resulting in the issue you are describing.

Anyway, it definitely sounds like a likely culprit, my CLD-950 had the exact same issue. It would not have any trouble reading CDs as they are much more lightweight. Someone here might be able to tell you exactly which specs the load belt for CLD-1850 uses, but my personal recommendation is to get one slightly below spec (ie. smaller).

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 11:43 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I posted this problem on a local reddit laserdisc forum and a reply suggested that I should try loosening the screws that hold the top clamping arm down as too much pressure on the spindle when it raises will cause the disc not to spin and be ejected.
The reply said that when this happens CD's will play because they are considerably thinner than laser discs.
I loosened the screws slightly, loaded a disc and it played straight away.
I placed thin machine washers under the clamping arm to raise it slightly, tightened the screws and now it plays every time.
Hopefully this may help someone else in the future.
Thank you for all the replies.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 15:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sneem26 wrote:
I placed thin machine washers under the clamping arm to raise it slightly, tightened the screws and now it plays every time.
Hopefully this may help someone else in the future.
Thank you for all the replies.

No this just shows you altered it but didn't fix the issue.
These were made to be perfect as is, so there is something inside that is wrong, possibly bent or moved and you just compensated
to make it work as is but didn't technically fix it.

I'm glad it works but again you still have some type of issue that needs to be addressed, possibly a bent bracket or
even, this is just a guess the platter has slid down on the motor??

Had that issue with a CD player once that Grasshopper fixed for me.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 17:54 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Of course you're correct, I haven't technically fixed it, I've made it work.
I'm thinking given I only had to use washers that are less than 1mm (1/32") thick to make it work, that possibly the mechanism that lifts the rack containing the spindle motor and laser has moved out of adjustment slightly rather than anything being bent.
I can't imagine the turntable assembly that contacts the disc from below has slid up on the motor shaft causing too much pressure on the clamping assembly and I have checked to make sure the clamper arm bracket is perfectly straight and the clamper assembly works correctly.
Also, when the turntable raises without a disc loaded I can see it is perfectly centered in the middle of the clamp and as the disc does not wobble while it spins I think it's safe to assume the spindle motor shaft is not bent and the turntable surface is level.

I didn't post on the forum because I wanted to fix the player myself or to try and save money on having the player repaired.
The fact is, despite posting on local forums, contacting all of the electronic repair stores I could locate and even contacting Pioneer and their local dealers it has so far been impossible to find anyone who will even look at, let alone service/repair a LD player in my area.
Without exception everyone I have spoken to has presumed because of the age of the machine the fault is the result of worn or broken parts, none of which are any longer available, so it is not viable to attempt to repair it.

That's what I meant by saying I hope this helps someone who may find themselves in the same situation.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021, 05:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So what you're telling me is that you immediately went for the most complicated thing you could think of instead of simply replacing the belt and see if that works first? :?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2021, 05:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Actually, I tried this first because all I had to do was loosen the 4 screws holding the clamp bracket which are right there at the top of the chassis.
So this was the easiest thing to check and didn't require any parts.
I didn't actually think it would be the cause as I thought the whole clamping assembly was spring loaded but the first time I loaded a disc after loosening the screws I saw that, when the disc was raised off the tray, it was pushing up on the clamp bracket and I wasn't able to push it back down into position.
With the screws only slightly loose the disc played but as soon as I tightened them, the disc was ejected.
What I found when I removed the bracket to install the washers was, although the stabilizer that contacts the top of the disc is spring loaded, the clamper head, which the spindle shaft locates in, isn't.

I didn't dismiss changing the belt, that's what I planned to target next.

BTW ..... I have given the player quite a workout over the last couple of days and it hasn't missed a beat.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]