It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D703] Stops itself after initial spin up
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 20:33 
Hey all, first post here. I run a repair shop in Portland and recently acquired a customer with a large collection of laserdiscs and players. He has dropped off a pioneer that i need help troubleshooting. My usual work is in guitar amps and vintage stereos, so this is new territory for me. Basically I am looking for tips or a shortcut, because troubleshooting this circuit is daunting. The player powers up just fine, opens and accepts a disc and closes cleanly. Then it is picked up automatically and then immediately put down. Then I press play and it picks up and begins to spin, for about fifteen seconds then it just stops driving and coasts down to a stop. Then it takes about a minute to come down before it can be ejected. No error codes or anything on the readout. Sounds like the stop button was pressed. I cleaned the lazer eye and everything appears to be clean. No swollen capacitors or damaged components revealed themselves in a visual inspection. Any tips would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D703 stops itself after initial spin up
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 22:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It's not that easy!! When you have trouble playing LDs then try a CD. In CD mode it turns off the video circuits as far as tracking the disc. If that works then you at least are getting the RF signal back from the laser and the motor works. Then you try cleaning or replacing the grip ring on the spindle motor in case the laserdisc is slipping. After that it's debug mode and oscilloscope. Could be the power supply, laser (as the CD does not require all the extra tracking requirements of LD), or servo main board.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 23:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I wonder how much it's slipping during that 15 seconds.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017, 23:44 
Right on thanks, I will try a CD now.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 17:28 
Ok, tryed a CD. Same thing happens. Starts spinning and then immediately stops.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D703 stops itself after initial spin up  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 18:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
It's not that easy!! .......After that it's debug mode and oscilloscope. Could be the power supply, laser (as the CD does not require all the extra tracking requirements of LD), or servo main board.

As someone who considers himself to have at least half a brain and an ability to learn I'd love to learn how to better maintain my players. Relatively simple stuff like belts and grips and occasionally dry-joints I can do but beyond that I'm a dunce. I already purchased a Pioneer test disc (before they run out too) with a view to doing that in the future, and an oscilloscope was to be my next step.

The very thing that largely contributes to making me want to be more self sufficient (isolation here in Perth in a VERY minor LD market) also makes it hard to find knowledgeable and/or experienced people in the first place, let alone willing to teach, and I'm willing to pay for their time. I have one option that I plan to check out soon, a genuinely nice guy who was a service agent for pioneer in LD days (still is a pioneer agent as far as I know) and may have some reasonable LD experience. Outside of him or any recommendations he might have I'm stuck.

Maybe there is a market out there for those who are knowledgeable to pass their skills on? And I don't mean to put all that back on Kurtis at all - it was just a great quote above that brought my thoughts on this to the fore - there must be plenty more experienced techs from the days out there - I'd love someone who fits the bill in Australia to read this and take me up on it!!!!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 19:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I hate to say this but if you really think about it all the techs are old, retired or even dead.
The reason we have our two left, Kurtis and Duane is that they are obviously younger.

If you think about it, a person back in the 80s being 40 would now be 70. Yes they could still be alive but that is if all techs were 40 and are now 70.
Also lots of them tossed their equipment or sold it off.
I picked up a test remote from the son of an LD tech, the father was still alive but the son was selling off the last of his equipment.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 19:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You're not wrong, especially if you think about established techs in the main beginnings in the early 80's.

But a tech just learning in their early 20's at that point in time would now be in their 50's to 60's, and potentially with almost the entire history of LD servicing under their belts. If you were a young guy in the late 80's or early 90's then more like late 40's to 50's now.

The guy I mention above was 10-15 years older than me when I was 18-20 at Alberts Hi-Fi here in the early 90's. So now he's early 50's to late 60's and still running his own servicing business. Haven't had contact for a few years since I needed a remote for a Pioneer DVR when I was investigating that avenue for comb filters. He'd not seen me for like 20 years at that point but remembered me and left me alone in his office programming my learning remote from some spare remote he had in his pile. Like I said - a genuinely nice guy, and I remember that about him from those early Hi-Fi sales days too.

I'm sure the population is already diminished and they might mostly be retired, but my point was really to pass on the knowledge from these guys before it is lost.

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 20 Apr 2017, 19:40, edited 3 times in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 19:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Correct but I just don't know how many in their 20s stuck with it and even fix stuff anymore.
I feel that they are more of the hobby repair, not in a bad way but just that they will fix in their spare time from the regular job, if they even have time.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 19:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Again true,

But I'm really trying to be 'glass half full' here.

Believe we really do need to think about passing the knowledge on and not losing it or we (and those to follow) are all screwed; not to mention the format finally, really, dies sooner than it needed to.

If I can find one guy, who can teach me more than I know already, I'm happy.

And frankly if the few left who are prepared to do so, choose their prodigy carefully and I don't even make the cut, I'm still just happy that the knowledge lives on. Then I'll just pay that new guy to fix my player, oh I'm in Western Australia right, still no-one here; bloody two way shipping to the states or Japan - damn!! (hopefully the supply of players doesn't run out in my lifetime....)

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 22:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm 59 and Duane is in that area too. I think it comes down to when we were in school we took parts and made circuits and troubleshoot them with meters and oscilloscopes. That is not taught anymore. It is now board replacement. Comes down to measuring voltage levels and following RF and NTSC signals on circuit boards with the oscilloscope.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 07:06 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have a CLD-D704 that basically does what you describe, except it does play CDs just fine. Player starts to spin an LD, then after seven to ten seconds it stops and automatically ejects. It was the first LD player I ever bought (eBay, of course), but knowing how well regarded it was I didn't just want to sell it for parts, not if there was a simple solution to getting it going again. In the meantime, I bought a CLD-501 as a back up for cheap, which plays wonderfully but lacks the features that D704 has like digital memory, AC-3, etc.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 21:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

makeshift_python wrote:
I have a CLD-D704 that basically does what you describe, except it does play CDs just fine. Player starts to spin an LD, then after seven to ten seconds it stops and automatically ejects. It was the first LD player I ever bought (eBay, of course), but knowing how well regarded it was I didn't just want to sell it for parts, not if there was a simple solution to getting it going again. In the meantime, I bought a CLD-501 as a back up for cheap, which plays wonderfully but lacks the features that D704 has like digital memory, AC-3, etc.

This could be an easy fix since it plays CD's fine, have to measure voltage on the main servo board to determine and then solder new parts onto the main servo board.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 20:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a cld-d703 that has a hard time starting to play occasionaly...
it loads correctly etc. Spindle cushion was replaced along with the loading belt.
occasionally it just doesn't make it on startup... it goes to the first chapter then some doubt (10-15 sec.) and most of the time it plays eventually.
I guess the PS board is on it's way out...
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 20:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've had that happen when the cross supports were bent. It bails then slowly spins down.

Is CD playback ok?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 09:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Recapped the PS board meanwhile.
Perhaps the caps on the main board should be checked next.

Cd plays fine. Ld eventually also.
It sounds like the player is in doubt about reading the disc every now and then. It makes it eventually with the B side starting after let’s say one minute into the movie. When you hit next chapter on the B side it also sometimes takes a longer time to make it to that chapter.
I’m thinking the pick up is on it’s way out. Should investigate what’s going on sometime.
Most of the time it works like it should!
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2021, 23:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Still thinking this is something mechanical. Wobbly back panel or bent crossbars, clamper etc.

Next time it gets caught up searching, try applying gentle pressure to those parts and see if it makes it better or worse.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 16:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cplusplus wrote:
Still thinking this is something mechanical. Wobbly back panel or bent crossbars, clamper etc.

Next time it gets caught up searching, try applying gentle pressure to those parts and see if it makes it better or worse.

changed the top clamp today and succes!
I opened up the top clamp. there is a washer sitting in between and this turned out to be worn.
the white plastic round washer looks like it has been worn in the middle by the years of spinning. the ball bearing is to blame for that after all these years!
I took plyers to take it of and found it is simply held by glue and a sort of rubber cushion in between the metal bracket and plastic washer.
no more doubts when spinning up now!

I have some scrap cld-2950's around that use the identical loading assy etc.
I knew they would come up handy one day.

Thank you for the advice on this. mechanics can be challenging small things that make you think....
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 21:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Glad to hear it. These type of issues are the most frustrating to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]