It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1450] Disc spinning up intermittently
PostPosted: 18 May 2021, 14:05 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm an electronics novice, so thought I'd better try and work out what the problem is, rather than tinkering and doing the wrong thing!

The player (CLD-1450) has been unused for a few years but I'd put my system back together and the player started by spinning up maybe one in three times, in a few days it has dwindled to not at all. When playing the picture/sound was great although chapters took ages to find and quite noisily.

One issue, maybe connected or not, is that the tray will open via button/handset but only closes if physically nudged. When the disc is in, the display shows 'PLAY' and the smaller 'PLAY' flashes as well as the CD/LD/CDV lights. There are noises suggesting that it is trying to find the disc but after ten seconds or so it stops and the display shows 0000m00s and all of the CD/LD/CDV lights are lit.

As I say, the times it worked the picture was fine and play was perfect (and as noiseless as you can get).

Any ideas? If I have to start digging around the inside I would need some advice on things not to do.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-1450] Disc spinning up intermittently
PostPosted: 18 May 2021, 14:16 
Third post and above
Third post and above

pheap wrote:
I'm an electronics novice, so thought I'd better try and work out what the problem is, rather than tinkering and doing the wrong thing!

Any ideas? If I have to start digging around the inside I would need some advice on things not to do.

I should also say that I have tried this with CD and the same thing happens.

PostPosted: 18 May 2021, 16:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wonder if the disc is somehow slipping, I would take the top off and see what its doing.

See if the laser is moving or anything, don't touch anything just see what it is or isn't doing.

PostPosted: 18 May 2021, 23:18 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Okay, I've just gone through a lot of discs, testing them. Some start straight away, a large number took two or three attempts (ejecting and then trying again). A small number didn't start at all (including one I played both sides of perfectly yesterday - the 1929 Showboat from the Complete Showboat Box).

I opened up the case and the laser moves each time. Just that sometimes it engages and the disc spins and other times it doesn't. Only once did a disc start to spin and not continue. At all other times, when the disc started to spin it played perfectly. I can't see what is happening under the disc to get a better look at what makes the difference.

The question is, what would do this?

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 00:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is at your own risk.

I just had this problem actually today.
My LD-S1 was giving me trouble for the past few years, some discs wouldn't play and some were fine.
So I finally unplugged it to take it upstairs to my work room, took the top off and saw the clamping was fine,
my guess was that it was slipping.

Anyway looked at the laser and saw it looked a little foggy to me so I took the risk and was very careful to clean it
and its fine now.

I guess years of being on the planet built up a film on the laser.

I used a qtip, don't use alcohol and don't press too hard BUT do this at your own risk.
I used window cleaner and have been told that is a good thing to use BUT do this at your own risk.

I'm no tech and this is my best guess from reading your post fast and having a similar issue.
If you could post a video others may be able to help more before you start trying stuff.

Also it could be a centering issue, did you try playing a CD, if thats fine then I would look into the cleaning issue.

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 18:15 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
This is at your own risk.

Also it could be a centering issue, did you try playing a CD, if thats fine then I would look into the cleaning issue.

CDs won't play at all, which from what I've read seemed to suggest it might be a centering issue. I looked up the service manual and I don't have the equipment to deal with that that properly but another post I read, said it can be done using a screwdriver. Different model, though.

PostPosted: 19 May 2021, 19:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've only worked on centering once on a player I used to own, it was easy and you could do this with a screwdriver.
BUT I have no idea where that side A adjusting is, I know its below :lol: but not sure where.

I would try looking for a model similar to yours and look at the service manual to find out where the centering is.
VERY small adjustments, I think you even have the CD playing at the same time.

I believe all centering is very similar unless you have the older gas laser players which you adjust something else and its much harder.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]