It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:39

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-D704] Belt and grip ring replaced - not recognizing LDs
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 03:40 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Last November 2020 I followed guidance from krbahr (Kurtis) and cplusplus and swapped the load belt on my secondhand CLD-D704. That restored the unit to working order for many months. More recently though, the player has stopped playing Laserdiscs. CDs still load ok. A LD will load and appear to start , but apparently never get to the first chapter of a given disc. The LD will spin up, but the output displayed never advances beyond the "Laserdisc Play" text. Shortly thereafter, the LD spin rate slows and the player stops. I swapped the grip ring - twice as my first attempt was slightly misaligned. My diagnosis is likely wrong, but behavior-wise, it's almost as if the motor isn't spinning the disc up to proper speed to begin playback. Any guidance is appreciated because I was just starting to make good progress at copying my disc collection to mp4 files for playback via Plex.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D704 belt and grip ring replaced - not recognizing L
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 09:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Either the motor drive circuits have an issue or more commonly the large electrolytic capacitor on the main board has shorted and the +5VDC for the video processing is bad and the unit cannot sync to play LD’s. CD playback turns off the video processing and syncs to the digital audio bitstream and that is why CD’s will play.

Post subject: Re: CLD-D704 belt and grip ring replaced - not recognizing L
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 19:33 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Kurtis, thanks for the quick reply. I have found a couple other players I may pick up in the greater SD area to continue my project.
Happy to cast off this CLD-D704 if anyone wants to pursue repairing it. Not sure I want to deal with further troubleshooting.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]