It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-A100] Looping playback Issue
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 19:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello! I have a CLD-A100 that I recently refurbished. It is my first LD player. I love refurbishing retro video game consoles but this was my first crack at refurbing a LD player. When I got the player it would power on but wouldn't open the tray.

In order to refurb the unit, I totally disassembled the console and replaced all (over 200 ) capacitors. I re-greased all the gears and tracks and replaced both belts (thank you Console5!).

Thankfully it all seems to be working except for one small issue. At certain points during movie playback, the player will begin to loop certain segments of the movie. It will get stuck in an endless loop of roughly 4-7 seconds and will not be able to progress.

Does anyone know what may be causing this issue?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-A100] Looping playback Issue
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 00:59 
Third post and above
Third post and above

UPDATE: The more that I am examining the issue, it seems that the LD player is struggling to reach the end of each side of the LD. When playing Bladerunner, I can get near the end of each side, but that is when it starts skipping/looping a few seconds and wont advance.

I wonder if there is something on the track that is keeping it from advancing?

Anyone ever experience an issue like this?

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 01:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm not a tech but it sounds like centering but if CDs play then it shouldn't be that.
Also sounds like its something from keeping it to get to the end of the disc.
Did you remove parts and not get the gears aligned when putting back together????

Can't remember the terminology now for what is going on, I sort of remember reading stuff like this on players with bad M-holders
but this isn't supposed to be one of those players.

Hope others chime in to help who have knowledge.
Also can't believe there were 200 caps, I do believe it but its crazy that you needed to replace all but good job on that part.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 01:40 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
I'm not a tech but it sounds like centering but if CDs play then it shouldn't be that.
Also sounds like its something from keeping it to get to the end of the disc.
Did you remove parts and not get the gears aligned when putting back together????

Can't remember the terminology now for what is going on, I sort of remember reading stuff like this on players with bad M-holders
but this isn't supposed to be one of those players.

Hope others chime in to help who have knowledge.
Also can't believe there were 200 caps, I do believe it but its crazy that you needed to replace all but good job on that part.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, it was a big undertaking to replace over 200 caps, but I really want this to last a long time! I really love using it even though I only have one movie (Bladerunner, but planning to get more).

Yes, it is strange. It plays absolutely perfectly all the way up until the last few minutes. Even stranger, I can't access the "Supplementary Section" at the end of Side 4 of Bladerunner.

I really hope I can get this solved. Cheers!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2021, 19:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The A100 sled mechanism should be similar to other single side players with a belt driven sled assembly. Check the following.....

Sled belt marked in "blue" for excessive play. If it feels normal, remove and clean the belt and the gears it touches w/ alcohol as it could be slipping due to dirt or grease. If too loose, need to order a new carriage assembly drive belt (part VEB-1077). You can find one here.... https://console5.com/store/catalogsearc ... q=cld-a100

Sled gearing marked in "yellow" might show cracks on the track. I have cracks on mine but they don't affect playback. However, if a crack is big enough, it can impede movement. If you have cracks, see if they coincide w/ the timing of your skipping issue. Not sure what the solution would be if it's really bad.

Metal sled marked in "red" could need cleaning and then a new coat of a light synthetic oil that is safe for plastic. I use one geared for slot car motors.

Hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 13:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
The A100 sled mechanism should be similar to other single side players with a belt driven sled assembly. Check the following.....

Sled belt marked in "blue" for excessive play. If it feels normal, remove and clean the belt and the gears it touches w/ alcohol as it could be slipping due to dirt or grease. If too loose, need to order a new carriage assembly drive belt (part VEB-1077). You can find one here.... https://console5.com/store/catalogsearc ... q=cld-a100

Sled gearing marked in "yellow" might show cracks on the track. I have cracks on mine but they don't affect playback. However, if a crack is big enough, it can impede movement. If you have cracks, see if they coincide w/ the timing of your skipping issue. Not sure what the solution would be if it's really bad.

Metal sled marked in "red" could need cleaning and then a new coat of a light synthetic oil that is safe for plastic. I use one geared for slot car motors.

Hope this is helpful.

Wow! Thank you so much for the response! I replaced both belts on the LaserActive, so I should be good in that department. I checked for cracks and couldn't find any. I also thoroughly cleaned and re-greased all rails and gears.

I am actually now having another issue. The laser doesn't want to focus anymore and thus does not recognize CDs or LDs. The laser itself is working but it wont move up and down vertically to adjust focus. Do you know what may be causing this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]