It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:21

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-1070] Disc Tray Issue
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2021, 15:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have been attempting to get into laserdisc after wanting to own a player for many years, but my attempts so far to obtain a working first player have not been going well. My initial player, a CLD-D505, has been giving me numerous error messages that seem like it would need a professional to fix, the biggest indicator of a problem being the disc tray refusing to open most of the time, something I understand tends to happen with this model.

I decided to try again and purchased a different player, a CLD-1070, which has a different problem. Whenever I close the tray with a disc inserted, it opens again after about ten seconds. The tray was rather dusty, so I think it may be the same for the rest of the player and maybe the laser is covered and unable to read anything, causing the issue. It's also making a sound that indicates something could be preventing another component from working properly.

Is this a normal issue for this unit? Am I anywhere close to right about either hypothesis, and either way is this something that can be easily fixed, or at least with a good cleaning?

Post subject: Re: CLD-1070 Disc Tray Issue
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2021, 21:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Try replacing the loading belts of both units and go from there.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 18:34 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Checked the belt in the CLD-1070- focused on that one mostly for now- and it's in great shape. The inside of the player was not nearly as dusty as I was expecting either.

I did notice something about the laser though. The mechanism only moves along the track when the tray is empty and the disc raises slightly off of the tray while inside. I had read that players can have problems properly clamping the discs- could that be the issue?

Please keep in mind that I'm not particularly technically adept, so I may not notice something that others would.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2021, 19:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You can’t simply look at a belt and assume it looks good to you. A bad belt can still look and feel elastic but the bigger issue is that they stretch over time. Once that happens, all sorts of issues occur due to slippage.

A good way to prove this point would be to clean the belt and the hubs it attaches to with alcohol and see what happens afterwards. You might be surprised that the player will suddenly work better for awhile but will probably have issues again until a new belt is installed.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 16:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i had a similar issue with the 1987 PIONEER LD-838D i had back in the mid-2000's; the tray would expel all the way out, but then immediately begin the retraction cycle.

today, i could probably have fixed the issue in minutes, but back then, i hadn't a clue what was wrong or how to go about remedying it.

all water under the bridge in any case, as i replaced that 838D with my CLD-3030 around 2007.

first thing i'd check is cleaning/relubing the tray's gear/trackwork, and, perhaps also belt replacement, if necessary...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]