It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-99] Anyone recommend a nice Sanatorium? (broken ribbon)
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 20:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Am I the only one ,that these crazy things ,drive nuts?..lol…Ive rewritten this,was in a hurry and it showed….
So…Elite 99…built from the leftovers from rebuilding a thrashed EAD/TV ,it has Elite(allegedly) 99 and a cld503 parts also..worked well for nearly a year..had a flipping to B issue that took care of itself early on…Yesterday I got distracted as I moved the 99 and dropped one end about 6 inches..nothing would play..Opened it up ,broke out the SM and did the outside adjustments only ,found the right side was 90degrees rotated…somehow the bump did that,the carriage is spring loaded to the plastic base....got the cd playing nicely ,then tried the LD (both clv/cav) ,could only get it playing correctly by being in test mode and feeling my way thru the commands..Only A side played…B was a jumbled mess..didnt try the middle adjustment on the laser assy or any other pots ..ie focus etc..
My question is…why does it play ok under Test Mode ,but under normal play it doesnt/…the CD does play….any suggestions on how to fix this beastie would be appreciated.

Last edited by wildwall9 on 08 Sep 2023, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-99] Anyone recommend a nice quiet Sanatorium?
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2023, 03:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Need pictures or something. This was a modified CLD-99. What exactly was rotated 90 degrees? Hard to follow what you are talking about.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2023, 03:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Sorry..it was the A &B centering adjustments…B was rotated to the point when I turned the knob the platform dropped down considerable…Its plays fine in Test mode….wanted toknow the why ,before I feel my way thru the adjustment/alignment…I know Zilch..trying to follow the SM, and what others post…and now…the EAD/TV has gone toes up..geeez…lol….at least their the same platform.
Its a cld 99 built from 3 different units …the best of what was left from rebuilding the thrashed EAD ,which has been terrific for many months ,until now..

Attachments:
IMG_2679.png
IMG_2679.png [ 230.31 KiB | Viewed 2897 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2023, 22:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Is the side A centering adjust there as shown in the picture you enclosed? That is the spindle centering adjustment for side A and if needs to be adjusted properly to play an LD. I'm wondering it this broke with the player drop. Does the unit play CD's?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2023, 21:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes it plays CDs..again I miss spoke…it was A/centering that I turned that made the cd play and that dropped the deck down…LDs only play under Test Mode…the only adjustments I tried were the A&B that I circled

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2023, 23:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the CD plays then the side A centering is close enough to play a LD so don't adjust that. You need to look at all the connectors as a CD does not required the Video section to operate to play as it sync's to the CD bitrate but when you play a LD it needs to be able to sync with the Video signal. You need to keep looking at connectors or maybe something came loose and is setting in the boards and maybe shorting connections. It's too hard to tell whats happening without having the player. The other issue could be the tilt of the mechanical assembly might not be working properly.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 00:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

OK..thank you Sir…I will go thru it completely ,checking for loose wires…Could you explain why it plays LDs in test mode only?….
now on to the EAD/99 issues..

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2023, 22:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Watch the unit when a LD loads in play mode, you should see the back of the mechanical assembly tilt up or down initially before it starts reading the disc.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2023, 19:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yes it does…goes thru the usual loading ,just as the LD spins up ,the mechanism does a slight movement up & down..the disc spins ,isnt ejected ,only shows all Zeros on the unit.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 00:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

OK, it's either something in the electronics or a connector as mentioned before.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2023, 01:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I pulled the entire laser assy ,flipping mech…reseated all the ribbons etc…still nothing …Ive got too many projects at once going on,.Im gonna shelve this for now..on to the EAD…or maybe the Mac…Thanks for your help Mr Bahr.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-99] Anyone recommend a nice quiet Sanatorium?..UPDA  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 21:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Fixed..I want to thank Mr Bahr..he sent me in the right direction..after cleaning and reseating all the connections I still had nothing..butt..I noticed the ribbon cable from the flipping mech to the board had a sharp crease in it…It looked odd..so I broke out the microscope and saw one of the wires was broken…watching it work ,it was connecting/disconnecting as the mech moved..which I think caused the distorted ,grainy picture,no pictture output...Replaced the ribbon cable and voila…shes good…ah my sweet Frankenstein 99..lil Frankie….Ive got 2 now…I never sell anything..Im considering selling this one…If anyones interested ..PM me ..Remember its a Frankenstein…cld 503 & 99 parts ,boards are 99..now..and built bya …calling me a neophyte ,is being kind..lol back to the..egad… EAD..
Thanks again for everyone's help

Post subject: Re: [CLD-99] Anyone recommend a nice quiet Sanatorium?..UPDA
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2023, 21:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Cool!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]