It is currently 05 Dec 2021, 23:47




 Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2021, 22:37 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Hello, all, new to the forum - wonderful resource! I have a second hand DVL-91 that has performed flawlessly for many years. Randomly the other day, I turned it on and all it will do is show "FLASH SUM" in the display. I unplugged it, let it sit, replugged, tried the power/stop combo push reset - nothing. I've searched here for a definitive solution, but nothing really jumps out. I'd like to get this repaired, and would even be willing to ship domestically for repair and whatever servicing would be prudent while we're at it. Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 01:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2021, 15:42
Posts: 32
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Possibly a checksum error on the flash memory? I guess you could try rewriting it, or replacing / re flashing the IC.

Does the unit have a DVD drive? Sounds like IC603 might be be used to store the DVD region? I’m looking at DVL-919 service manual, which I think is similar to the DVL-91. If you replace the IC you’ll probably have to reset the DVD region.

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... manual.pdf
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 01:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 3541
Location: Tokyo
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 675 times
This issue was fixed before by replacing the DVD board (EEPROM goes wrong):

Flash sum error?
[DVL-919e] Flash sum error

Julien
_________________
LDDb on Facebook
HLD-X0/X9 DHS-8.8 OPPO 105/205 SL-1200G
LDD-1 LG-1 MSC-4000 Radiance2144 P7 MC257
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 12:27 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
deckard wrote:
Possibly a checksum error on the flash memory? I guess you could try rewriting it, or replacing / re flashing the IC.

Does the unit have a DVD drive? Sounds like IC603 might be be used to store the DVD region? I’m looking at DVL-919 service manual, which I think is similar to the DVL-91. If you replace the IC you’ll probably have to reset the DVD region.

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... manual.pdf


I'm pretty handy with fixing most anything, what would the procedure be for this?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 12:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
admin wrote:
This issue was fixed before by replacing the DVD board (EEPROM goes wrong):

Flash sum error?
[DVL-919e] Flash sum error

Julien


Thanks for the quick replies! Where can a replacement board be found?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 13:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 07 Aug 2002, 23:37
Posts: 3541
Location: Tokyo
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 675 times
ggibson25 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies! Where can a replacement board be found?


I guess the quick path is to find a broken/for parts DVL-91 and cannibalize the board?

Julien
_________________
LDDb on Facebook
HLD-X0/X9 DHS-8.8 OPPO 105/205 SL-1200G
LDD-1 LG-1 MSC-4000 Radiance2144 P7 MC257
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 13:46 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
admin wrote:
ggibson25 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies! Where can a replacement board be found?


I guess the quick path is to find a broken/for parts DVL-91 and cannibalize the board?

Julien


I'm watching one on EBay now. A little sketchy, but the photo shows the display reading OFF. I messaged the owner, who would only reply that what I see in the photos is what I'd get. Would not comment of whether it would power on, although it must have in order to get the OFF indication. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334105037769
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 13:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Dec 2006, 19:08
Posts: 1156
Location: Belgium
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 17 times
replacing the top right dvd board fixes this. do you have the partnumber printed on the actual board?
_________________
CLD-D925
CLD-99elite
CLD-959
LexiconLDD-1
LumagenXD
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DMP-UB900
TX-58DX780E
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 18:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
kris wrote:
replacing the top right dvd board fixes this. do you have the partnumber printed on the actual board?


Kris,

No. I'll dismantle and get it tonight. Thanks!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 23:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2018, 03:18
Posts: 1214
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 401 times
DVL-91 is a DVL-909 with two resistors changed on FLKY board.

US DVM ASSY's:
DVL-909/91 VWS1328
DVL-V888 VWS1329
DVL-919 VWS1377
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 02:36 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
cplusplus wrote:
DVL-91 is a DVL-909 with two resistors changed on FLKY board.

US DVM ASSY's:
DVL-909/91 VWS1328
DVL-V888 VWS1329
DVL-919 VWS1377


Awesome! Will any of these work?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 03:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 7483
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 596 times
Question, is this an issue with the DVD part only or does it lock the entire player with the flash sum????

If it needs to be replaced and won't even play LDs then this is bad for these combi players.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 03:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2018, 03:18
Posts: 1214
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 401 times
ggibson25 wrote:
Awesome! Will any of these work?

I don't know about compatibility for these.

I'm wondering if cap failure could be a root cause? This board has a ton.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2021, 22:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
rein-o wrote:
Question, is this an issue with the DVD part only or does it lock the entire player with the flash sum????

If it needs to be replaced and won't even play LDs then this is bad for these combi players.

It's completely locked. Hit the button, it says "FLASH SUM" and that's it.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 00:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2018, 03:18
Posts: 1214
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 401 times
Can you take a look at the leads of the surface mount capacitors on the top and bottom of board? They should be shiny. It is a bit of a stretch, but bad voltage to the flash can put it in an incorrect mode.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2021, 03:19 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
cplusplus wrote:
Can you take a look at the leads of the surface mount capacitors on the top and bottom of board? They should be shiny. It is a bit of a stretch, but bad voltage to the flash can put it in an incorrect mode.

Thanks for the tip! Had to get some work done this past week, will dig into it I hope later this week and post. Thanks everyone for the great advice! :D
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2021, 17:57 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
ggibson25 wrote:
cplusplus wrote:
Can you take a look at the leads of the surface mount capacitors on the top and bottom of board? They should be shiny. It is a bit of a stretch, but bad voltage to the flash can put it in an incorrect mode.

Thanks for the tip! Had to get some work done this past week, will dig into it I hope later this week and post. Thanks everyone for the great advice! :D

They look shiny. I'm not even a novice on this sort of thing.

Question to all - If I buy a DVL-91 / 919 / 909 for parts and just swap the whole DVDM board would that do it provided the donor is in good order? Is it that simple?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2021, 18:39 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Update - not much progress, but I am curious, would simply swapping the DVDM board from a working DVL-91, 919, 90, or 909 do the job? I found these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224605276739

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144226875677

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334105037769

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294209557825

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133862153137

I should have noted that I have no interest in using the DVD player function at all; in fact, I do not even own any DVD's, only Blu-Rays. I just want my Laserdisc player to operate. Thanks for all the inoput!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2021, 14:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2018, 03:18
Posts: 1214
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 401 times
I'd pull one from a DVL-91 or DVL-909 (VWS1328) so you don't have to worry about flash compatibility.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-91 Flash Sum Error
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:55 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post
User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019, 16:37
Posts: 12
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
cplusplus wrote:
I'd pull one from a DVL-91 or DVL-909 (VWS1328) so you don't have to worry about flash compatibility.


I bought a donor DVL-909. The Korean supplier I found said the board he had would work, but the number he had cross referenced as a DVL-919 part. I figured for only $75 more I could harvest the part I need from the donor unit and maybe sell the rest of the machine for something to recover at least that much, plus it had the VWS1328 that was the sure thing. I'll let you know how it goes!
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: