It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] DVD Pickup won't get out from the rotator
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2022, 20:45 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi everyone,

I just collected a DVL 909 from the post and it has been shocked.
Besides a fractured PSU that I temporarily replaced with a working one,

I also noticed the following issue:

The DVD pickup is stuck inside the rotator. When inserting a DVD, it never gets out from the rotator.
The rotator itself seems ok, I can play LD on both A and B sides (although with a floating horizontal white line on both sides).

I tried to manually move the DVD pickup it by turning the black worm gear: no luck, it is not sliding a bit, as if nothing happens. I don't think I felt any resistance to the motion I try to apply to the pickup, but I am not sure.

I also tried to manually move the DVD pickup worm gear from both top and bottom sides (by turning the rotator manually through the big white gears on the back): same issue.

What could be causing this? Derailed pickup? Any suspicion of breakage of the plastic rails? Or the M-Holder?

What should I try from there to get more insight? Are there other ways to make the DVD pickup slide?

As a last resort, is the rotator """easy""" to take apart so I can investigate further?

Thanks for any reply!

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] DVD Pickup won't get out from the rotator
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2022, 04:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have spare DVD pickups so I normally replace the pickup to put in a working one. The other cause could be the ribbon cables. Remove the back cover for the mechanism so you can access the ribbon cable and take your fingers and try tapping or moving the ribbon cable and see if the laser starts working. If it is the cables then check the connections, after that you have to find a parts unit.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2022, 09:42 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi Kurtis,

Thanks for your reply!

I think the DVD pickup is at least partly responding. For example, when I put a DVD in the DVL 909, I see the exact following sequence of events in the player:

1. it checks it is a LD
2. nope? it retracts the LD pickup into the rotator mechanism
3. the player rotates pickups, so DVD pickup is now on the lower side
4. now the DVD pickup instantly does a focus test. It does it once, right inside the rotator mechanism.
5. nothing more happens.

Q1. Step 5 is certainly abnormal, but is step 4 expected? I though the focus test would happen only after the pickup slides an reaches the DVD disc.

I'm ok to change the DVD pickup if needed, I already did it on another DVL 909 in the past by sliding it with the worm gear while on the upper side (upper rail unscrewed, of course).

Q2. In the current case, how can I manually remove the DVD pickup from the rotator as it doesn't slide when I manually turn the worm gear?
I will try to poke it from the back of the rotating mechanism, but other than that I'm out of clue.

Q3. Where could I find DVD pickups? :)

Thanks a lot for any advice!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2022, 14:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So LDs spin fine, then leave it alone.
This is a player for LDs anyway, go buy a upscalling DVD player for 30 bucks, I just saw them at wallyworld and even 4K BD players for

I know we can get better stuff than what's offered at wallyworld but don't bother with breaking or making this work for DVDs
when its a poor early gen DVD player.

I think when I owned a 919 the LD part was great, the DVD so so, only played about half the discs I put in and that was back in 2003

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2022, 01:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I agree it is a very average DVD player. Use it for LD's and don't worry about DVD's.

If you have to fix the DVD laser you should press DVD to make that laser on the bottom and then unplug the unit, then turn the worm gear on the laser motor to turn it out of the turn mechanism and then plug it back in and power it on. See if the DVD laser starts working.

You have to debug the unit to see it it is a laser assembly, ribbon cable, or position switch error. We cannot tell you, the person actually debugging it has to determine that. Is it worth paying someone to fix it when it plays LD's fine? Only you can make that call.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2022, 21:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Sure the DVD part of the DVLs is an outdated novelty compared to any cheap DVD / BD player today.

I am just a bit frustrated that it works half-way as I find this particular dual-mode optical player quite magical... when it fully works :)

I will try to poke the DVD pickup a couple of times and report my experiments here if they lead to something new.

In the meantime if anyone here has already experienced the same issue, I'd be glad to have your feedback.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2022, 16:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If you rotate the worm gear on the DVD pickup and you cannot get it to come out of the carrier, it's probably jammed. I've had that happen a couple of times.

On the side of the rotation assembly, the side opposite the pickup motor, is a limit switch. It tells the player when the pickup is docked. It has a little paddle which is pushed by a post on the pickup. I've seen it where the post has managed to get behind the paddle, and therefore locking it in place.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]