It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] JP NTSC Doesn't respond to remote
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 00:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hey guys,

Been a reader here for years but finally signed up as I've got one I can't figure out.

Pioneer DVL-909 JP NTSC version stopped responding to remote commands suddenly. Player is in pristine condition, has seen very little use. Infrared sensor window unobstructed and immaculately clean. Front panel buttons all work properly.

The remote, a CU-DV012 will not operate my Pioneer CLD-D504 player. Likewise, the CU-CLD106 I use for the 504 won't operate the 909. So can't easily rule the remote itself out as an issue without obtaining another DV012.

However, if I understand the way the mini "remote" input/output works, it is supposed to essentially use one unit as an IR sensor and pass the signal to the other via the cable, correct? If so, trying to pass the signal from the DV012 remote through the 504 receiver to the 909 does nothing. Likewise, trying to pass the CLD106 signal through the 909 to the 504 does nothing. So maybe I'm missing something there, never had a reason to try that technology before.

Lastly, I have verified the DV012 is emitting SOMETHING because if I hold it up to my iPad camera and hit any button, I see the emitter light up. I'm at a loss of where to go next, short of getting another DV012 remote. I'm skeptical of this simply because I can see the remote is outputting something. Seems to me if it was the remote, it simply wouldn't be emitting anything.

Any expert ideas out there?

And yes, tried all sorts of new batteries.

Post subject: Re: DVL-909 JP NTSC Doesn't respond to remote
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 06:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pioneer_ld_fan wrote:

Pioneer DVL-909 JP NTSC version stopped responding to remote commands suddenly. Player is in pristine condition, has seen very little use. Infrared sensor window unobstructed and immaculately clean. Front panel buttons all work properly

Have you tried to unplug the power of the 909 for something like 10 min and press any of the buttons to help accelerate cap drainage? Sometimes this will work if you have a microprocessor that is locked up or malfunctioning and draining out the power will reset it.

Also, I have seen in the past of another IR code locking up a device and the same solution was to power down the affected unit to allow the unit to reset.

pioneer_ld_fan wrote:
The remote, a CU-DV012 will not operate my Pioneer CLD-D504 player. Likewise, the CU-CLD106 I use for the 504 won't operate the 909. So can't easily rule the remote itself out as an issue without obtaining another DV012.

That is correct. Codes changed because a DVL is a different product from a CLD or LD player. What you could try to do is get a generic universal remote and program it to work on Pioneer DVD player codes (I think they will work w/ a DVL). Anyway, moving on....

pioneer_ld_fan wrote:
However, if I understand the way the mini "remote" input/output works, it is supposed to essentially use one unit as an IR sensor and pass the signal to the other via the cable, correct? If so, trying to pass the signal from the DV012 remote through the 504 receiver to the 909 does nothing. Likewise, trying to pass the CLD106 signal through the 909 to the 504 does nothing. So maybe I'm missing something there, never had a reason to try that technology before.

Let's make sure you are doing this right. The SR Control system works w/ mono mini jack cables (but maybe stereo could work too; never tried it before). How it works is that the unit that receives the IR signal means you are going to use the "Control Out" plug that then goes to the "Control In" on the unit you want controlled via wire. Anytime you plug in the "Control In", you are also turning off that devices IR Receiver.

pioneer_ld_fan wrote:
Lastly, I have verified the DV012 is emitting SOMETHING because if I hold it up to my iPad camera and hit any button, I see the emitter light up. I'm at a loss of where to go next, short of getting another DV012 remote. I'm skeptical of this simply because I can see the remote is outputting something. Seems to me if it was the remote, it simply wouldn't be emitting anything.

I doubt the remote is an issue. If it's sending out its IR light, it's probably working fine.

If none of these ideas work, the only thing I can think of is that the unit is on the wrong IR frequency which would easily happen if a device was designed w/ two sets of codes (many Sony VCRs' came w/ multiple IR code options). I kind of doubt this will be the case w/ your player but I do recall cplusplus discussing how to change the code of a Marantz or RCA player back to Pioneer by simply changing resistors on the FL board in an LD player. So what I'm getting at is there is that remote possibility that maybe a resistor value could have changed enough on your FL board and that could explain the remote codes not working properly.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2022, 02:13 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
pioneer_ld_fan wrote:

Pioneer DVL-909 JP NTSC version stopped responding to remote commands suddenly. Player is in pristine condition, has seen very little use. Infrared sensor window unobstructed and immaculately clean. Front panel buttons all work properly

Have you tried to unplug the power of the 909 for something like 10 min and press any of the buttons to help accelerate cap drainage? Sometimes this will work if you have a microprocessor that is locked up or malfunctioning and draining out the power will reset it.

Also, I have seen in the past of another IR code locking up a device and the same solution was to power down the affected unit to allow the unit to reset.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond!

I have not done this. I unplugged the unit for about 30 seconds (several times) but that was it. I will try this and report back.

Quote:
pioneer_ld_fan wrote:

That is correct. Codes changed because a DVL is a different product from a CLD or LD player. What you could try to do is get a generic universal remote and program it to work on Pioneer DVD player codes (I think they will work w/ a DVL). Anyway, moving on....

I thought of this as a step to try if all else failed. We'll go there if we have to.

Quote:
pioneer_ld_fan wrote:

Let's make sure you are doing this right. The SR Control system works w/ mono mini jack cables (but maybe stereo could work too; never tried it before). How it works is that the unit that receives the IR signal means you are going to use the "Control Out" plug that then goes to the "Control In" on the unit you want controlled via wire. Anytime you plug in the "Control In", you are also turning off that devices IR Receiver.

Yep, that's how I interpreted it. I ordered a mono cable off Amazon just for this because, like most people, I don't have mono audio cables laying around the house. When trying to control the 909 I had the cable in Control Out on the 504 and Control In on the 909.

Quote:
pioneer_ld_fan wrote:

I doubt the remote is an issue. If it's sending out its IR light, it's probably working fine.

If none of these ideas work, the only thing I can think of is that the unit is on the wrong IR frequency which would easily happen if a device was designed w/ two sets of codes (many Sony VCRs' came w/ multiple IR code options). I kind of doubt this will be the case w/ your player but I do recall cplusplus discussing how to change the code of a Marantz or RCA player back to Pioneer by simply changing resistors on the FL board in an LD player. So what I'm getting at is there is that remote possibility that maybe a resistor value could have changed enough on your FL board and that could explain the remote codes not working properly.

Roger that. I wasn't aware of this feature on any player. Let me try some of the above and report back. Thank you.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2022, 02:09 
Third post and above
Third post and above

No luck. I left the player unplugged for almost 24 hours, from last evening until now, pressing all kinds of front panel buttons randomly throughout. Still no response to any remote button press.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2022, 04:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Is it possible you might have a broken piece of metal stuck inside the Control In jack? That could disable the IR emitter. Also, if there happens to be a short in the said plug, that could set it off as well.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2022, 04:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:
Is it possible you might have a broken piece of metal stuck inside the Control In jack? That could disable the IR emitter. Also, if there happens to be a short in the said plug, that could set it off as well.

I'm not sure how a piece of metal could have suddenly got in there... The player is on a home theater shelf with other A/V equipment, none of which ever moves. I'm not aware of any of them shedding metal fragments, any piece of metal in there would have to be of the tiny metal shaving variety, as I was able to plug my mono audio remote cable in without any kind of obstruction when I did that test.

The remote functionality literally stopped while I was in the middle of using the player, last week. I had started watching an X-Files LD and everything was working fine. Play, chapter skip, audio channel select, etc. At some point I went to try to pause it to get up to grab a beverage and it wouldn't pause. No remote button has worked since, despite everything I mentioned trying in my above.

Is there an easy way to test of there is some kind of short in that jack? I pulled the cover off the unit, and it's the most complex player internally I've ever seen. Daughterboards on top of motherboards with further daughter boards, and ribbon cable galore. It appears I would have to remove and disconnect every single piece of hardware in order to get to the board that has those jacks on them.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2022, 08:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pioneer_ld_fan wrote:

I'm not sure how a piece of metal could have suddenly got in there...

Just checking if you recall anything like that happening so obviously not likely. However, if we could assume the jack is bad and shorting, you could try sticking something like a thin toothpick into the jack to see if it makes a difference to separate any metal contacts that might have collapsed on itself. If that doesn't do anything, it could also be a cold solder joint on the jack that could also be causing a break in the circuit.

Moving on, maybe there could be a cold solder joint on the IR sensor itself. However, if the Control In jack was working properly, it probably wouldn't be the IR.

At this point, I would look into getting some universal remote and program it for a Pioneer DVD player. No sense in mucking around inside the player if you are uncomfortable with it and it's worth a shot verifying for certain if the remote is bad. If it does turn out the universal remote works, then you know you need a new remote (so yes, it's possible it could be broken even though it emits a signal even as unlikely that could be).

Adendum.......

Here is something explains an issue regarding a defective headphone jack on a Denon AV Receiver that creates a virtual glitch that it's plugged in when it is not....

https://adamnash.blog/2010/10/01/soluti ... -no-sound/

The solution for some of these users was to blow air into the jack to clear up any dust. I also know this issue has been caused by cold solder joints.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2022, 19:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sometimes there would or could be a broken piece of jack in that, it would be doubtful that it would work and then stop with that piece
inside if you didn't know about it but may be worth checking.

Hope you can figure it soon, I liked the unplug as that just happened to my dishwasher and it worked again so I was hoping that would
have been an easy fix for the LD player.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2022, 00:59 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks guys. I'll track down a cheap universal and report back in a few.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] JP NTSC Doesn't respond to remote
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2022, 05:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you tried to use the remote VERY close to the IR sensor?
No difference?

My Pioneer Amp Remote started to work less and less reliable, had to get closer and closer to the amp until it stopped working completely
Got another remote... same. I guess the IR sensor in the Amp slowly died.

Julien

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] JP NTSC Doesn't respond to remote
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2023, 22:32 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Wanted to update this one… It was the remote. Finally tracked down a replacement and it works perfectly. Very odd the old one does not seeing as it does actually emit a signal when the buttons are pressed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]