It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-919] Strange issue: won't spin LD singles
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2022, 17:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Had to readjust Side B centering and tangential on my 919 again after moving it from Japan to the US. Had a minor panic attack as the first disc I put in after ejecting the GGV test disc was an LD single, and for some reason it couldn't spin it, neither Side A or B (I think this player played singles before but I can't remember for sure):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tsA_u3 ... share_link

But thankfully regular LDs work fine, as does the GGV test disc as it's the same thickness.

Not sure why the 919 has trouble with LD singles though. It doesn't seem to need the adapter as it wasn't mentioned in the manual.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-919] Strange issue: won't spin LD singles
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 01:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The only players that require that adapter are 80s units; a new player like the DVLs should not need it
This is a really basic guess but have you ever replaced the belt? If not perhaps you could give that a shot; perhaps the belt is getting old and is not providing enough strength to clamp the Single properly
Others probably know a lot more than me on this subject

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 15:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, I think I replaced the belt when I first got it a couple years ago, and it still seems tight enough and unrotted from when I briefly took out the tray just now, but I'm not sure if much can be determined by a visual inspection.

I'm guessing it isn't thick enough for the spindle, but I wouldn't want to try messing with that just to fix playback of LD singles unless I knew for sure it wouldn't affect standard LD playback.

FWIW DVD playback also seems OK.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 16:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Do CDs work???

It obviously has an issue but if you are collecting and keeping this player I wouldn't mess with it unless your OCD is really kicking in.
Otherwise I would leave it and enjoy your LD only discs until the player buys the farm.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 00:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Haven't tried a CD yet, I mostly just thought this was a strange problem that others might find curious. I have another player that still plays LD singles (probably, haven't checked recently) so I don't have much need to play them on my 919. If someone knows of an easy fix that has little chance of messing something else up, I'd maybe try that.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 02:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I don't know if this is one of these, but early on they made LD music video 8" discs and probably other 8" LD's from what I remember. They were single sided and there were issues. Manufactures started putting a White colored spacer or a side stating video in other side for side B to make the same thickness as LD's. I cannot remember if this was a playback issue but I believe it was a clamping issue.

Side B centering adjusting has nothing to do with Side A centering, they are independent. If this is an old disc it could be laser rot. This is not a loading belt issue.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 15:31 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah, these are 8" 1-sided anime promo discs like All That Gundam (1989) [NT-1] and You're Under Arrest: File.2 1/2 (1995) [BELL-783] They're not too old and aren't rotted AFAIK since I played them without issues on my other player. The 919 at least detects that they are Laserdiscs when they're first inserted, but it won't spin them up so it probably is indeed a clamping issue.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]