It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Are they all single sided laserdisc players?
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2022, 23:09 
True fan
True fan

No autoflip feature?

Post subject: Re: Are they all single sided laserdisc players?
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2022, 23:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you're asking about just DVD/LD combo units, they were all both side play models.

For CD/LD or LD only players, there were many that were single side play only.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2022, 00:08 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
If you're asking about just DVD/LD combo units, they were all both side play models.

For CD/LD or LD only players, there were many that were single side play only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195526425966?h ... R56-0LipYQ

Was thinking about possibly bidding on this laserdisc player in the last couple seconds but I might not because Seller won't give me a straight answer if the laserdisc side works or not. I think it's kind of dumb to pay a couple hundred bucks for a player that may only work with DVD. He won't give me a straight answer and says stuff like he has no laserdiscs to test it out. You would advise me to stay away from this and be happy with the LX-900 revision 1995 and LX-H670 that I already have? I think that thing is a gamble like flipping a coin. If it ends up not playing laserdiscs the buyer is basically s**t out of luck since the seller claims they don't know...

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2022, 08:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just read the posting and I think the seller is just being honest. He doesn't own an LD to test so he's being honest that he can't verify the operation of it and at that point it's your decision to take a risk on it or not. And if I was the seller, I know I would be on the winning side if you complained later that the LD portion didn't work since I made no bones it would work. Thus, pass on it.

In any case, why would you want a DVL when they are basically both an average DVD player and an average LD player in one package? I've always avoided the DVL models for this reason. Also, I wouldn't buy it anyway if the unit is going to be shipped because it's a known issue that the majority of these units are going to get damaged.

I would recommend at this point when shopping for a player that you should exercise extreme patience to see about finding one locally where you can just pick one up (e.g.: craigslist, FaceBook Marketplace, next door, local used electronics store, etc.). You'd be surprised what deals you might find. I have literally picked up something like four players in the last two years for next to nothing and these were mid to high end models.

And regarding your Panasonic models, you can read my past answers about them from other threads. I don't feel the need to regurgitate the same answer to this question again. You're happy with them and that is all that matters.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2022, 14:32 
True fan
True fan

The dvl-700 is not a good player? I thought people said the image quality is good on the laserdisc portion or you are saying my Panasonic crushes it? I'm still pissed that my Panasonic cuts a side of the screen off. Other than that it's close to being a 10/10 player. :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2022, 18:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

In my stupid opinion, a lot of people in this game are very rigidly focused on "THE BEST".

Stop. Perfection is an illusion.

Guess what? LD looks like LD in every LD player/Display you put it LD in/on. It will never *not* look like a LD. No matter how you scale it or project it you're still watching a LD with all its inherit limitations and nostalgia. DdD is the only way to improve what you see on a LD.

DVLs are fine. Karaoke Players are fine. Panasonics with issues are fine. Old flip top players are fine. Whatever.

Oh, but you want the best? Spend the $2K for an X0 and call it a day. Guess what, it will still look like an LD and likely have issues :)

I hope that answers your question :|

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2022, 19:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
The dvl-700 is not a good player?

Didn’t I say average?

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I thought people said the image quality is good on the laserdisc portion or you are saying my Panasonic crushes it?

I’m sure there are people who feel the image quality is acceptable on the DVL-700 just as much as they feel the LX-900 is acceptable too.

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I'm still pissed that my Panasonic cuts a side of the screen off. Other than that it's close to being a 10/10 player. :lol:

Yes. I would be pissed too. That’s why I have no interest in getting an LX-900. However, if the Quasar LD-700 came up for a good price, I might want to procure it since it doesn’t have that issue. Either way, I rate the LX-900 a 5/10 player.

Last edited by ldfan on 27 Dec 2022, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2022, 20:43 
True fan
True fan

Why do you rate the LX-900 so low when it's considered Panasonic's best player? Is it the fact that for some idiotic reason Panasonic cut off about 5 percent or so of the right side of the screen like idiots? It is a pretty big fault and it does irritate me. However overall the picture quality looks pretty good to me and it plays through warped discs pretty well even hiding some of the flaws.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 01:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Tell you what, I'll change my rating to an 8/10 and that is solely because of the right side cut off issue ;).

I'll place back in two points because of the lack of "CLV Smear" which a lot of Pioneer units unfortunately have.

I'll also return one point on the digital looking picture of the player since this is really a personal preference; some people like it and others prefer the more analog look.

Hope that makes you feel better.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 01:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

For the LX-900 Panasonic remember when it was developed we all used CRT’s which were set to a minimum 5% overscan and usually much more so the 5% on the Panasonic was not such a problem. Now people use flat panels and care. You cannot expect all old technology to be perfect on new technology. Think of the head switching line issues at the bottom of the screen with tape. Designed to be viewed on a CRT.

The DVL-700 and other DVL players are equal to the CLD-D604, high midline quality. Only exception is the S-Video output only on the DVL-91 was equalized for a sharper picture.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 02:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The laserdisc smear really shows you the quality of the power supply in you tv or scaler. With my Pioneer Elite plasma it is very minimal when properly calibrated. It can also be enhanced by your black level set higher than NTSC specifications. Yes the Panasonic and Pioneer HLD-X9 don’t have it but it you really look there is an enhanced black verses the smear.

Everything with video is personal preferences so just get what you like and enjoy it. It’s fine someone prefers something else.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2022, 02:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
The laserdisc smear really shows you the quality of the power supply in you tv or scaler.

I had no idea regarding this and that is great information. I assume you mean switching power supplies found in most newer devices is what you are referring to?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 05:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
krbahr wrote:
The laserdisc smear really shows you the quality of the power supply in you tv or scaler.

I had no idea regarding this and that is great information. I assume you mean switching power supplies found in most newer devices is what you are referring to?

Power supplies have performance based on the designed, how fast the signal can transition full white to black depends on the quality of the supply along with a proper power distribution. It is not that it is a switching power supply, it is that not all are equal. You can have an average switching supply and the tv will work and give a nice picture. High end products have extensive power and distribution designs and while the better performance may not always be noticeable it is these times it comes out. The question is do you want to spend thousands more for this improvement. The market is get cost down so you get the simpler design allowing low cost. There are still quality TV’s but you won’t find them in the discount racks. I don’t know which ones are better as I still use a Pioneer Elite Plasma.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2022, 05:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You won’t find any TVs with linear power supplies. Even the best of the best Pioneer and Runco plasmas had switch mode power supplies.

To step down the mains voltage to suitable levels the TV or the player can operate, you need to use transformers. Transformers work only with AC current and their efficiency is exponentially higher with higher frequencies. Switch mode supplies chops the 60Hz mains to increase the frequency to KHz (or even MHz) levels. This way you can use a transformer which is 2 ounces heavy and smaller than an inch square instead of several pounds and the size of a shoe box. Since the chopping occurs above hearing range (20 KHz), we don’t hear the switching noise but electronics can. However, this noise can be easily filtered out.

The energy on higher frequencies is exponentially smaller than the energy on a 60 Hz sine wave. You can use relatively small inductors and capacitors to create a low pass filter to get rid of all but the clean DC output. Since the entire power supply circuitry is much more minimized, you can place a copper shielding around it for EMI/RF filtering too. So a well designed switch mode supply is actually a lot more sophisticated and complex than a linear supply. Not every manufacturer goes to length to ensure the highest quality. Because of this, switch mode supplies have a bad reputation.

I am still having difficulty tracing the smearing issue to the power section of the TV. The outside shield is also common ground on the RCA connector. It perhaps leaks into the LD player through the grounding and effects the video d/a convertors on the LD player?

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2022, 01:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I totally agree with what substance quotes. I should point out that I’m only discussing how TV’s reproduce the amount of smear in the Pioneer players. Discussing the actual player, I tried some initial searching into the cause of the smear and I determined it was internal to the IC’s that Pioneer used. Wondering if the IC’s building had slower than ideal settling times or too much parasitic capacitance.

I wonder if Pioneer used professional monitors or theirs with better quality switching supplies to approve the design or it was an economics decision.

Hope you can find something. I did not try buffering out the raw analog signal before digitization, I only viewed it on an oscilloscope.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]