It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] Issue w/ DVD tray not opening
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 14:44 
Second post
Second post

Hello,

This is my first time posting, but I have been reading, learning and fixing from the many great posts on this forum, so thanks in advance. I have been fixing a DVL-909 machine and was able to replace a bad capacitor on the the power supply and also adjust the centering screw to prevent side b of a laserdisc from skipping during the first minute or so. I discovered a new issue, and not sure it is related to the other two, but figured I would give some history of the work I have done thus far on this machine.

The new issue is odd, in that the laserdisc tray opens cleanly, so does the DVD tray when there is a double-sided disc or a CD. But when there is a single-sided DVD in the tray and I go to eject within the first minute or so the tray won't open and it sounds like the motor is getting stuck. I can solve it by removing the top and manually adjusting the tray opener, but was wondering if anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Here is a quick video of the issue in the event that help:
https://bava.tv/w/65bZQftTnqF1NGpgwmS4Ye?start=1m10s

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Best,
Jim

Last edited by reclaimvideo on 23 Jan 2023, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] Issue w/ DVD tray not opening
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 04:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've seen this before, what is happening is that when you stop the playback to eject the tray the DVD immediately travels forward toward the spindle motor and the laser is actually causing the jam. It traveled beyond the normal position and it too close to the spindle. It's been too long for me to remember my fix on this one. It may have been replacing the DVD laser but cannot remember for sure.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] Issue w/ DVD tray not opening
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 11:59 
Second post
Second post

krbahr wrote:
I've seen this before, what is happening is that when you stop the playback to eject the tray the DVD immediately travels forward toward the spindle motor and the laser is actually causing the jam. It traveled beyond the normal position and it too close to the spindle. It's been too long for me to remember my fix on this one. It may have been replacing the DVD laser but cannot remember for sure.

Appreciate you replying here. Based on your reply I was thinking maybe adjusting the laser position with the black gear wheel on the laser housing might help, but that resets every time. Is there a factory/default position for the laser housing? Turns out even when the the disc is beyond the first two minutes and it's stopped it will not have any issues if ejected. But should it be stopped and not ejected, but rather re-started, the disc cannot be read again and it has the same issue as when it is stopped within the first minute or two described above.

In terms of replacing the DVD laser, would that be a crazy job assuming I find a laser to substitute? I did see this post where you listed what units have compatible lasers, and that Pioneer still sells the laser for this unit, is that still the case? Mine is the champagne European model, and I am presenting living in Italy where I found this machine, so may have similar issue as UK poster. [DVL-909] Replacement CD/LD laser

I'll search out any documented examples of folks who did this, and while a novice I am not entirely afraid to try, but also happy to leave it to the professionals should it be recommended given the need for alignment, tilt, focus, etc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]