It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-90] Has red stand-by light, wont fully power up
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2024, 23:54 
First post
First post

hello all

Ok, so problem started after watching a full movie ( brain candy ), unit would not eject the disk, it displayed " open" and did nothing. I powered it down, tried again and it gave me the disk. Push close and displays " close", nothing happens so i give the manual assist to which it closes. I then power it back up, and i get no display or any sign that it's powered up.

Now, here comes all the things i've tried. I pulled the power supply supply and tested everything that i could as per the schematics. I even bought a sacrificial parts unit (dvl-700) to try things with. Using the 700's power supply that worked within the 700, i had the same results in the 90.Put original PS back and tried the laser/mech assembly from the 700, and I get a successful boot-up with display, but still no movement in the mech for disk loading, power off and back on with no display again. So i'm now stuck at this point. I decided to purchase all electrolytic caps for the power supply should it be something related to not having enough ummph to run the mech, i replaced all caps with the exception of C201/C202/C203/&C204 due to the originals had more capacitance than the new ones. I try it and the unit powers up with display, runs the laser out and the tray transport for a moment ( mech is loose & not fully installed, only by the ribbon cables). i put unit back together and the unit is back not fully powering up again. SMDH . I've even tried swapping the CLDmain and DVDmain boards with no success, and the laser/mech from the 700. I've also traced and continuity checked the entire path from power button, through the dvdmain board, and back to the power supply. I have all supply voltages ie: 3.3, 5, +/- 14, -30 < the power supply definitely switches on.

I'm missing something for sure. Is there any testing I can do to prove out a failure point, or any guidance from those that have done

Post subject: Re: [DVL-90] Has red stand-by light, wont fully power up
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2024, 16:46 
Second post
Second post

On the front panel circuit board there is a capacitor (c105, 47uf 6.3v) that is probably bad. You will have to take the tray out and the front panel off and apart to access it. The esr may look good or marginal, but trust me it’s bad. I used a 47uf 50v and just bent it over but observe polarity.

From what I have seen it pulls the power down and the turn on signal never triggers.

- Jeff

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]