It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:23

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: DVL-909 - Frequency 60/50hz?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 23:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kris wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
kris wrote:
:thumbup:

Thanks, Kris! :)

Very useful with some photos.
Too bad, the circuit card is different to mine. Opened my player today. The power supply is integrated into a larger circuit card. The good thing is that my player is actually 120vAC 50/60hz 56w, not only 60hz 57w as stated on the back!
Incorrect information at the back of the player. :evil: Then I should have no problems using it in 50 hz outlet.

My problem now is that my 200 watt voltage converter is not sufficient. Powering up the machine requires a lot more power.

the actual PS board is different? integrated into a larger circuit card?
this is :eh:

I can't be 100 % certain, but from what I can tell, it is integrated into the larger circuit card.

Post subject: Re: DVL-909 - Frequency 60/50hz? (solved)
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 17:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Problem is solved.
I have both 50hz and 60hz frequency.
As for the problem with the player, a dvd had found its way behind the laser mechanism. Got it out and then the player worked again!

This concludes the thread!
Thanks to all of you who have contributed! :)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 17:11 
True fan
True fan

interesting, this must be the first thread on this board that have an "thread concludes" message, usually stuff gets way out of hand and ends up as something completely different, lol.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 17:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cpix wrote:
interesting, this must be the first thread on this board that have an "thread concludes" message, usually stuff gets way out of hand and ends up as something completely different, lol.

These concluding threads might be useful for people with similar problems, that's why I did it. ;)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 17:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserpaal wrote:
cpix wrote:

These concluding threads might be useful for people with similar problems, that's why I did it. ;)

?
I'm sorry but...
a dvd found it's way behind the ....
What does this have to do with the voltage Frequency? :shock:

Did I miss something here? :wtf:

:roll:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 18:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kris wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
cpix wrote:

?
I'm sorry but...
a dvd found it's way behind the ....
What does this have to do with the voltage Frequency? :shock:

Did I miss something here? :wtf:

:roll:

I'll try to explain....

In the beginning, I was not sure if I would be able to use to player since it was rated only 60 hz. When I found out that the player actually supports both frequencies (opened and looked at the power supply - which was not different as first thought), the player seemed to have electrical issues. It wouldn't respond to any actions given and after further analysis I could find a dvd jammed behind the laser mechanism/optics. The dvd explained everything. Now I have a really nice Laserdisc player for backup with functional Laserdisc playback, Dvd playback and playback of compact discs.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 10:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

no I get the :idea:

Some years ago I found myself a dvl-909 that according to the seller wouldn't take a disc.
Opened it up immediatly to find a jammed dvd inside.
After spinning a few dvd's and ld's the same error ocurred once again with dvd playback. ld play errorfree!
For some reason the dvd laser didn't back up far enough when pushing the stop button and it hit the spindle when getting to the rest position. It got stuck on the loading carriage and finally broke a plastic part of the carriage assy.
sooner or later I'm going to figure it out... but since I'm not a big fan of these combi player(s) in no rush :shh:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 19:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Update on the PS boards :crazy:

I decided to do a little experiment. I swapped the PS from 2 us players with european 230volt ones.
Only thing I had to put in is the actuall switch that goes with the european PS board. I never noticed that US models don't have a mechanical Push on Button.
So i put in the PS and the actual swith that normally is operated by pushing on the front Panel with european players. I leave the added internal swith on and power on and off using the original front panel of the US models. No messing around with the players "estethics" :wtf:
This way I got myself a US dvl-91 and a dvl-909 with a simple 230v lead. since I don't like power converters I'm a happy owner now. Had the parts laying around anyway...
Not a big combi player fan but a fun little experiment either way :thumbup:
I have to say the dvl-91 s-video out isn't that bad... it's very nice PQ actually for a combi player that is...
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 21:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kris wrote:
Update on the PS boards :crazy:

I decided to do a little experiment. I swapped the PS from 2 us players with european 230volt ones.
Only thing I had to put in is the actuall switch that goes with the european PS board. I never noticed that US models don't have a mechanical Push on Button.
So i put in the PS and the actual swith that normally is operated by pushing on the front Panel with european players. I leave the added internal swith on and power on and off using the original front panel of the US models. No messing around with the players "estethics" :wtf:
This way I got myself a US dvl-91 and a dvl-909 with a simple 230v lead. since I don't like power converters I'm a happy owner now. Had the parts laying around anyway...
Not a big combi player fan but a fun little experiment either way :thumbup:
I have to say the dvl-91 s-video out isn't that bad... it's very nice PQ actually for a combi player that is...

Nice!
I'm actually satisfied with the picture quality of my DVL-909 as well.
cpix mentioned that the dvd player in it is crap and not up to date. Well, I didn't expect hd-quality when playing dvds but it gives a great picture in the end with composite cables - had not connected the component cables at the time. Tested it with a disc from season 2 of MacGyver.
I felt like MacGyver when I fixed it. :P

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 17:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

yep, it's nice to keep a player running :clap: keep up the good work

PQ , it' s a very subjective matter for sure.
What is good, better , best, "high end"...
Different equipment can have other results in diff. setups.
I'm not saying a combi player is rubbish, it's different. I had some dvl units breaking down over the years... nothing to serieus though. Unpleasant... Yes :problem:

I never understood the Fuzz about so called high end Ld players. I'm convinced they are solid quality and have a great picture but in today's setups.... Pioneer didn't make any "garbage" players especially not when the end was near for our beloved format.

I'd buy an hld or S9 if I would find one at a reasonable price but let's be honnest, shipping a player half way around the world isn't an option for everyone. I like to see the actual player I buy. A damaged disc one can throw away, an expensive player would cause me some pain for sure :cry:

Enjoy your player is my advice. "high end" or not :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 11:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

kris wrote:

I'm not saying a combi player is rubbish, it's different. I had some dvl units breaking down over the years... nothing to serieus though. Unpleasant... Yes :problem:

I never understood the Fuzz about so called high end Ld players. I'm convinced they are solid quality and have a great picture but in today's setups.... Pioneer didn't make any "garbage" players especially not when the end was near for our beloved format.

I'd buy an hld or S9 if I would find one at a reasonable price but let's be honnest, shipping a player half way around the world isn't an option for everyone. I like to see the actual player I buy. A damaged disc one can throw away, an expensive player would cause me some pain for sure :cry:

I will certainly enjoy it, "high end" or not.
Would you consider a NTSC/PAL player as a combo player?
Btw, nice job with the L-9. :)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 14:21 
True fan
True fan

laserpaal wrote:
kris wrote:

I think a better description of NTSC/PAL is multistandard =)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 18:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserpaal wrote:
kris wrote:

Thanks :D The L9 proves to be a fun player. It performs great using the s-video out routed trough a simple Iscan Hd+ (can be found fairly cheap in mint condition btw) Nothing fancy but a nice unit with decent scaling.

I'm sure you could enjoy a dvl unit but my advice is get yourself a de-interlacer. even an iscan pro that does 480p-576p. I have one of those (spare) and they are great little units. I never was a big fan of combi players but with dvdo on their side they are decent performers.
Believe me, I've been experimenting for many years with several players and scalers. it only gets better in the end. :thumbup:
Since Blu ray is the standard these days and has marvelous PQ there is no point in setting expectations too high for LD anyway. I'm sure we all try to get some kind of HD picture from our LD's. IT WON'T HAPPEN :cry:
Watched The Omega Man LD last night . I liked what I saw :thumbup:
Enjoy, be happy :clap:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 19:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks, Cpix! I knew there was a much simpler word for it, I had it on my tongue. :P

I'll take your advice about getting a de-interlacer to make the picture look better.

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2