It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replacing The Loading Belt On A Pioneer DVL-90?
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 20:21 
My Pioneer DVL-90 sometimes won't load the disc. I place the disc in the tray, close the tray and push Play. The disc starts to spin, stops and the tray opens.

I saw somewhere that a worn belt can cause this problem. I ordered a belt off ebay from jorgeospina83 (aka All Brands Electronic, Woodside NY) for $6 delivered.

I took the top off the unit and I couldn't see a belt. I plugged the unit in with the top off and watched the loading process using a laserdisc. I still couldn't see where the belt goes.

I am reluctant to start taking the unit apart. I have limited technical skills but feel that I am capable of replacing a belt.

Where is the belt located and how difficult is it to replace?

Post subject: Re: Replacing The Loading Belt On A Pioneer DVL-90?
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 00:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The loading belt is an issue when the mechanism cannot raise fully. If the pickup is moving and the discs starts to spin the load process is completing and that is not your problem. You either have a laser pickup reading the disc issue or the spindle motor not speeding up fast enough. I'm guessing a bad pickup.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 02:06 
Thanks ... I guess I had better take it to a local Pioneer service center that works on Pioneer units.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 05:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

chiphp wrote:
Thanks ... I guess I had better take it to a local Pioneer service center that works on Pioneer units.

:shock: good luck with that one.
you'll have to get one of the LD repair gurus here.
krbahr, do you repair these???

check with him, ldservice or grasshopper, they are the 3 that will do the best as they know LDs
and something tells me that a local pio repair may have started repairs after LD was dead :problem:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 16:43 
rein-o wrote:
... check with him, ldservice or grasshopper, they are the 3 that will do the best as they know LDs and something tells me that a local pio repair may have started repairs after LD was dead :problem:

Thanks for the advice ... I saw those names from reading old posts. If I could hand deliver the unit to one of those guys, I would definitely do it. I am concerned about damage to the unit during shipping.

I talked to an authorized Pioneer service shop in Plano (near Dallas) that claims to have a tech who can service LD units. Should run around $200 plus parts.

I have 4 other working LD units ( CLD-D505, CLD-701, CLD-2090 & CLD-1070) but the DVL-90 is the best one (and probably the only one on which that I would spend $200). I still find working LD units locally for $25 to $50 (usually with remotes).

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 17:49 
True fan
True fan

chiphp wrote:
rein-o wrote:
... check with him, ldservice or grasshopper, they are the 3 that will do the best as they know LDs and something tells me that a local pio repair may have started repairs after LD was dead :problem:

Thanks for the advice ... I saw those names from reading old posts. If I could hand deliver the unit to one of those guys, I would definitely do it. I am concerned about damage to the unit during shipping.

I talked to an authorized Pioneer service shop in Plano (near Dallas) that claims to have a tech who can service LD units. Should run around $200 plus parts.

I have 4 other working LD units ( CLD-D505, CLD-701, CLD-2090 & CLD-1070) but the DVL-90 is the best one (and probably the only one on which that I would spend $200). I still find working LD units locally for $25 to $50 (usually with remotes).

Well, the problem with that, is that I can sell you a DVL-90 for around that price with DVD working as well as the other Techs.

The parts will eat you alive at those service places, Im sure others including me can save you up to 50% off labor or parts or even both.

Duane, MI

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 18:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

$200 plus parts...is probably more than ldservice would charge and that guy's got provenance, PROVENANCE, like no other.

Not that this problem is likely to be all that special, but a guy with a lot of LD experience is going to know instantly what's wrong with it and probably bill you an hour instead of three and not gouge so much on the price.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 19:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I always found that Pioneer repair centers, even ones that claimed LaserDisc experience were oblivious to the little bugaboos of LaserDisc like crosstalk - if they had a picture, they were happy and didn't seem to care about crosstalk. Duncan is the only person I've found who aligns players properly, although I'm sure Kurtis and Duane do too.

Post subject: [DVL-90] Replacing The Loading Belt?
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 19:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yeah, it would cost you less with shipping and repair/parts than dealing with a local who has never seen an LD player before.

i'm sure that each of these guys forgot more about LD repairs than the local tech knows hahahahahhaha

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 19:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

chiphp wrote:
rein-o wrote:

If you pack it well, you won't have to worry about damage - Duncan ships players all the time with no problem - shipping damage is only a worry when dealing with eBay sellers who have no idea how to ship or pack an LD player.

You'd probably be better off buying a unit from Duane rather than fix the player you have now.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 20:31 
Thanks for all the good input ... I will re-think the local service approach ... Is there a Sticky or thread about properly packing a LD player for shipment?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 00:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

NEVER USE PEANUTS!!! that is the number one rule for shipping players. Use Bubble wrap minimum 2 inches around the unit. Peanuts shift crumble pieces get everywhere including inside players, hate cleaning them out.

I can repair this but my initial guess is you need a new LD pickup or a good used one. Cannot remember if I have a good used one but I do have new ones. I actually suggest buying a CLD-D704 if all you need is LD playback as it is a superior player. It you want a LD/DVD unit I prefer the DVL-909/919/ Elite DVL-91.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 04:10 
krbahr wrote:
NEVER USE PEANUTS!!! that is the number one rule for shipping players. Use Bubble wrap minimum 2 inches around the unit. Peanuts shift crumble pieces get everywhere including inside players, hate cleaning them out.

I wouldn't use plastic peanuts ... I have some experience shipping vintage stereo equipment but wanted to see if there were specific requirements for a LD player.

Quote:
I can repair this but my initial guess is you need a new LD pickup or a good used one. Cannot remember if I have a good used one but I do have new ones. I actually suggest buying a CLD-D704 if all you need is LD playback as it is a superior player. It you want a LD/DVD unit I prefer the DVL-909/919/ Elite DVL-91.

I don't need DVD capablity (I bought the DVL-90 because it was available locally at a reasonable price) ... I use a Pioneer DV 563A player for DVDs ... I'll keep my eyes open for a CLD-D704 (I have a CLD-701).

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 04:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

krbahr wrote:

:problem: i've used peanuts with all my shipping and have never had any issues.
you always have to wrap in bubblewrap so none get inside of anything but it's not a fast rule to not use.

i've sent 30 pound CED players to germany using them, i've sent 80 pound speakers using them.
so this is just wrong, you just have to know how to pack with them.

make sure you shake the box and push them down so it's nice and tight, very easy to use once you get them settled around what you are shipping :D

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 05:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I've never had problems with peanuts either.

I mean, I absolutely HATE the suckers and wouldn't buy them myself, but I've never had anything damaged because it was in peanuts.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 02:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've had too many players sent to me with peanuts only. Very mixed results when I receive them.

Also: just check the shipping companies. If all you use is peanuts then they normally deny damage payments as they require 2 inches of bubble-wrap. Stating peanuts break-down and shift.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 04:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Over the years I've shipped millions of dollars of government and commercial equipment. Peanuts are a good addition if you have sufficient protection around the item to begin with. But peanuts are very, very annoying -static, they stick to everything. I use peanuts when I don't care about annoying the buyer.... The best way to ship is in a pelican case with high quality (density) foam, next best is use expanding foam in a sturdy box with reinforced edges. Problem is that a good shipping container can be more expensive than the item you're shipping.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]