It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] Side A to B turn problem...
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 05:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have a DVL 909 that in LD mode will not play side B. DVD laser is fine and the LD laser is fine on side A, moves on the track okay, loads into the rotator fine. When it rotates to side B, the laser assembly attempts to move out onto the track but seems to be obstructed or held back somehow. The assembly will move about 1/8 inch forward then stops and seems to be pushing against the rotator unit, trying to move forward. It slacks off, then it attempts moving onto the track again, does this a couple of times to no avail then the laser is returned to the lower position.

Before I get into taking things apart more that I need to, I wonder if anyone can pinpoint what the problem might be?

Post subject: Re: DVL-909 Side A to B turn problem...
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 22:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Either the guide post that guides the pickup into the turn mechanism is not lined up properly with the side B post or the tabs that hold the movement gears in the pickup assembly broke loose which may not be an issue for side A due to gravity but gravity causes issues with side B. The black plastic piece holding the pickup movement motor would need replacement if this was the issue.

I'm guessing it is an alignment issue.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 18:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm currently having the same problem with my DVL-919E (amongst other problems). Do you have any tips on how to correct the alignment?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 21:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

After looking over my player tonight and observing its movements I found that my problem is with part VNL1728 (Shipping Lever):

Although not clear on this diagram there should be some sort of lever sticking out from the part which catches on the shipping cam to move the shipping lever out of the way to allow the laser head to move across side B of the disc.

Here is my shipping lever and shipping cam
ImageImage
You should be able to see how the parts would move when the tray raises to read position.

As I'm currently having problems getting hold of another part I need to fix another problem with this player (no one seems to provide them in the UK) I thought I'd have a crack at repairing this one myself. I used a cut up cotton bud and some sticky tape and it works like new. I've tested it multiple times and it seems to be holding fast!
ImageImage

Blue Peter would be proud.

If I manage to find someone who will provide the other part I need I will try to replace this one too, but for now it will do.

I hope this can be of help to rixrex or anyone else in a similar position.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 00:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This part has nothing to do with shipping. What is does is lock the turn mechanism so in side A/B position so the pickup can slide out and into the mechanism. If you press the side change you will see the mechanical assembly move and that position will move out the locking lever so the turn mechanism can flip over. If this is keeping the pickup from coming out you have a bad alignment as this will not hold in a pickup. I would suspect your metal guide pins may not be lined up properly as mentioned before or gear track is missing. If this lever moves out and in during side flip operation then it is fine.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 00:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The service manual I have lists the part as a shipping lever. When changing sides the whole mechanism lifts upwards, before I applied this fix the "shipping lever" did not move and so the pickup could not move out of the rotator. Now with this fix when the mechanism lifts the lever catches in the "shipping cam" and pulls the shipping lever into the open position allowing the pickup to move freely.

If this isn't the way it's meant to work then it certainly seems to work well anyway lol : ) Now the pickup rotates and reads side B no problem. The first picture in this thread on another forum seems to confirm that this is how these parts operate :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1238451

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 00:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Now I see, you added the white plastic tab to move it out. Thought it was there originally. Didn't look close enough at the pictures.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 00:22 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
Now I see, you added the white plastic tab to move it out. Thought it was there originally. Didn't look close enough at the pictures.

No worries, I'll just take it as a compliment that I did such a good job fixing it lol. Hopefully I'll track down a replacement part, in the meantime this should do the trick. Don't think I can do anything so makeshift for fixing the Cam Plate though, but that's another problem for another thread.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 00:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As mentioned in the other thread, I'll check but I should have both these parts.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]