It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-700] Skipping, and Spindle motor problems
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 04:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have Pioneer DVL-700 player, and it has developed a couple problems.

It began to skip on most, if not all LD's, (honestly, I don't think I've ever played a DVD in it), within a minute on side B. came across:
DVL-909 issues with first minute of side B?

And tried to fix it myself, with very limited results. Had a local electronics shop look at it, and just had them do a 'service and lube', thinking it might just be dried out a bit. But I think its worse now.

And it looks like I have spindle motor problems too, since its new thing is to intake a LD, and strain to make a electronic motor sound, and then kick it out. In looking at this, it would also begin spinning the LD, and then just coast to a stop, once in a while.

1. Are spindle motor's still available anywhere? Can they be refurbished in any way? Are they difficult to put in,or is there a lot of re-calibration involved.

2. Thinking I might just put it on the spare shelf, and have the shop look at it again, and make sure they know about the adjustment mentioned above. I think my CLD-59 Elite looks better anyway :)

Comments or suggestions, please? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-700 Skipping, and Spindle motor problems
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 16:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That shop isn't going to do anything for you other than take more money.

I bet since they don't have any LDs they just tested it and made it work for DVDs which use a different laser inside I believe.

You are best trying to figure out yourself or asking here and waiting for others to help.

I hate to say this but could the disc be slipping?? Will it actually play a CD you can figure stuff out if it actually plays a CD.

Spindle is not going to kick it out, it won't play.
Could also be a belt as they do more than just the tray.

Do some searching and good luck.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2018, 03:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Side B skipping at the beginning is either lubrication or the track on the upper mechanical piece not fully engaging into the movement gear on the laser assembly. You need something to add slight pressure down on the track so it will properly engage the laser assembly gear.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 23:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

As for spindle motors, any motor from any of the "DVL" series players will work. I replaced the motor in my DVL-700 with one from a DVL-919 because the 919 motor has the improved disc grip. I have even taken the entire playback assembly from a 919 and put it into DVL-700 (and DVL-9 from Japan) and they work ... as well as the DVL-700 can work.

As for the skipping issue on side B, there is a "limit" switch on the top rail that tells the pickup where the inner limit is. The little plastic lever that rubs up against the pickup to actuate the switch is a real pain in the a**. I've seen it hang up the pickup from moving and what you get is the optics going as far as they can without moving the slider, but then snapping back. shaving a little bit off the end where it engages with the pickup usually resolves the problem. Sometimes greasing it will make matters worse because the grease can become the binding agent. If you find that lever is lubricated, remove it and clean all the lubricants from it and off the pickup where they meet and see if this improves your situation.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 23:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've always found the LD skipping on first couple minutes of side b on a DVL to be a very (very) slight centering adjustment, nearly everyone I've had needed it at some point.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 03:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pbiancardi, blam1, Can either of you post some photos, of what you speak? Please. Thanks,

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 07:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I think I am on to something. I looked again at the player, and seem to have jogged some memory. In this first image, we see the player, and the red box outlines the second, closeup image.
In the close up, we see the set screw, in black, and what I am calling the cam, in white. This is the adjustment screws we are talking about I think.

I got out my small flathead screw driver and found the cam, was 'loose', and roughly pointed to the position marked by the small red line. With the player playing side B, and in the process of actually skipping at around 56 seconds, I gently turned cam clockwise. The pickup head suddenly moved to around 2 minutes. I stopped the disc, and began again at 0, and it started skipping at around :45. Gently turned just a tiny schosh clockwise, the cam feeling a bit tighter each time. it jumped again. Stopped, and started at 0. This time it played all through 2:00, and I felt the problem was fixed. So I may be onto something. Didn't mess with the set screw yet. I wonder if its loose? or if the cam jumped in transit from the electronics shop?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 04:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That is the side B centering that pbiancardi was telling you about.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 05:06 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Right. But I didn’t know where it was until I opened it and remembered I’d been there before.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 21:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

bryanb wrote:
I think I am on to something. I looked again at the player, and seem to have jogged some memory. In this first image, we see the player, and the red box outlines the second, closeup image.
In the close up, we see the set screw, in black, and what I am calling the cam, in white. This is the adjustment screws we are talking about I think.

I got out my small flathead screw driver and found the cam, was 'loose', and roughly pointed to the position marked by the small red line. With the player playing side B, and in the process of actually skipping at around 56 seconds, I gently turned cam clockwise. The pickup head suddenly moved to around 2 minutes. I stopped the disc, and began again at 0, and it started skipping at around :45. Gently turned just a tiny schosh clockwise, the cam feeling a bit tighter each time. it jumped again. Stopped, and started at 0. This time it played all through 2:00, and I felt the problem was fixed. So I may be onto something. Didn't mess with the set screw yet. I wonder if its loose? or if the cam jumped in transit from the electronics shop?

The white thing is the D-lever assembly. (VXA2205)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]