It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] Playback Issue
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2019, 18:19 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Posted this on FB also;

Posting this issue here because I’m out of ideas of how to resolve this and have been all over the internet looking for an answer.

Equipment
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc
Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver
Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector

For the past year I have had no issues watching Laserdisc movies and yesterday I went to watch a movie and had sound but no picture. On the lower RH screen I get a “ Frequency Out of Range” message that from what I have researched is the Sony projector telling me a connection problem is detected between the playback device and video projector. I have no playback issues with the cable box, DVD, VHS, PS4 or Prime Firecube, just the Laserdisc player.

I connected a TV directly to the Laserdisc player (using video out) and had a picture. I than connected the Denon HDMI Out to the TV and had a picture with the Laserdisc as well as all the other video sources I have connected to the Denon. Reconnected to Sony Projector and no joy still get a “ Frequency Out of Range” message for the Laserdisc player only. I even tried using the Laserdisc Comp (RGB) as the video source into the Denon but that didn’t work either. I unplugged and rebooted everything, no joy. Checked all firmware is up to date.

Lastly I connected the Projector HDMI to the Denon HDMI Monitor 1 (original setup) output and the TV to the Denon HDMI Monitor 2 output. When I cycle through all the input sources (cable box, DVD, VHS, PS4, Prime Firecube and laserdisc) I get a picture on both the Projector and TV for everything except the Laserdisc. Get a picture on the TV and projector says “ Frequency Out of Range”.

Stumped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas???????

Thanks
Dennis

Update: I connected a RCA to HDMI Converter gizmo and feed the signal directly from the Laserdisc player to the Sony projector and got a picture. So the Denon AVR-X6500H has a pass through problem. Guess I need to reach out to Denon tech support tomorrow

WTB: Pioneer CLD-R7G

Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL-909 Playback Issue
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2019, 20:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No time to read all above.

RGB component is for DVD playback only on that 909
You need to use S-video or Yellow composite for the LD playback.

And all connectors should be the same from player to TV with the same in-between.
If it worked before it really shouldn't have and you must have the same chain from point 1 to end.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 00:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Maybe you need to check the video conversions settings for your Denon AV Receiver. Here is a link to that section.....

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6500H/NA/E ... xuhedk.php

Also, I have a Denon, AVR-2808CI, and I do find that this receiver does need to make sure there is stable sync on the composite and S-Video sources to pass video. Otherwise, when I do FF or REW on VHS or LaserDisc I will get a momentary blank screen (and this is when I send a composite signal or HDMI signal from the AVR to the TV).

In any case, I don't use my AVR to upconvert my composite signals to HDMI since it does a very terrible job of it. Better to still run a composite video cable all the way to the projector and let it do all the processing including the comb filtering.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 08:20 
Did you revert to any other LD that had displayed in the past?
Is it possible you have an LD mastered at a subnormal resolution? (Did that ever happen?) If so the problem would be not hitting your AVR's resolution threshold which is probably 480i.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 08:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Could the “frequency out of range” be the audio signal? A lot of stupid electronics will not display video if the audio is defective or even just unplugged. Cables with bad grounds can cause a semi-working situation where a more robust analog TV would display with minor defects but more modern stuff might refuse the signal outright.

As has been mentioned, if it works to leave the AVR out then do it. A quick search of your gear would seem to indicate that you’ll have a massively better picture that way anyway. The newer 4K Sony’s work very well with LD from my experience.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 13:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

ldfan wrote:

In any case, I don't use my AVR to upconvert my composite signals to HDMI since it does a very terrible job of it. Better to still run a composite video cable all the way to the projector and let it do all the processing including the comb filtering.

Agree with ldfan. Running composite/s-video directly to yr projector should solve your problem.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]