It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-919] Had to tweak LD tilt pot...
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 20:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I picked up a DVL-919 locally over the weekend. I tested it briefly before paying, but I guess not long enough. When I brought it home, I noticed after a short amount of time playing, it would start to repeat parts of the disc over and over until I skipped forward. Then it would happen again shortly after that.

I was worried I got screwed, but I opened it up and just adjusted the LD tilt pot slightly and it's been perfect ever since. I've watched about a dozen discs on it now and so far, so good.

Is there anything else I should check to get optimal performance out of this? Other adjustments to be made? I'm trying to get the most that I can out of it. It's definitely got the best picture of all of my players, so I'd like to use it to re-transfer some of my rare LDs to digital in the highest possible quality.

I understand there's a mod to add a new composite out that bypasses the internal comb filter on the D604. Is it possible to do that on the 919 too? Or any other suggestions?

I also write software.

Post subject: Re: Got a DVL-919, had to tweak LD tilt pot...
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 21:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nope. You got lucky by eyeballing an adjustment on a player and you’re getting what you say are excellent results. I’d stop there, personally.

CLDs and DVLs have almost nothing in common, btw. I can’t imagine any mods are cross compatible.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 23:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

That's probably good advice. :P

Question about transferring to digital though. I've always used composite on my other players, but since this one has internal filtering, it seems like it would be best to connect to my capture device with s-video here rather than having it go from composite LD signal -> internal comb -> recombine chroma/luma to composite.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020, 23:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Try it both ways and tell us how it worked. Only you can rate results that only you can see.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 00:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Try it both ways and tell us how it worked. Only you can rate results that only you can see.

I'll get some stills from some CAV discs and post samples with both methods later in case anyone else is interested in the difference.

Maybe I'll cap the same frame from all 6 player models I have for comparisons. I might just be bored enough.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 00:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

This.

Yes the DVL can be modded for direct composite out, but you need to know a lot about electronics to accomplish it. Before you get to this level of min/maxing though you would need to make sure all the adjustments are close to perfect. If you are only considering this for archival purposes, you should look into getting a Domesday Duplicator.

I think it would be best to leave the player closed and enjoy your find!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 04:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's a composite vs s-video capture from the 919 of two different frames. I'd definitely say the s-video is a bit sharper/cleaner with less artifacts! Very noticeable on the fine details IMO. Not so much on large patches of color like the sky.

Composite:

S-Video:

Composite:

S-Video:

I also write software.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 17:08 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Zooming in on a section really shows how much less color artifacting there is on the S-Video:

Composite

S-Video

I also write software.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 16:09 
First post
First post

Hi there, I have the exact same player got it from an elderly couple for $40, which I think is a great deal but I keep having the same issue on side B skipping within the first minute or so of playing, now what exactly is the tilt pot? Is there anyway you could post some pictures? It would be greatly appreciated. I've just started getting into laserdiscs so I am not very savvy with these terms but I am really trying to get this player going for the holidays, thanks any help will be appreciated.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 21:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserjunky wrote:
Hi there, I have the exact same player got it from an elderly couple for $40, which I think is a great deal but I keep having the same issue on side B skipping within the first minute or so of playing, now what exactly is the tilt pot? Is there anyway you could post some pictures? It would be greatly appreciated. I've just started getting into laserdiscs so I am not very savvy with these terms but I am really trying to get this player going for the holidays, thanks any help will be appreciated.

You really need to start a new topic with your issue.
I think its centering but not 100% sure as I'm not a tech just know side b can have that issue.
but there are many things you need to figure first before you start messing with the player to make sure its
not just the disc etc.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 05:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I needed an oscilloscope to fix mine, wouldn't try to fix this issue if you don't have access to one:
Successful repair of DVL-919 side B playback issue

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 07:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just to side track this thread more.
If anyone would like a 919 there is one for sale locally for only $1800NZD!! :o

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 2869319077
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 18:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
CLDs and DVLs have almost nothing in common, btw. I can’t imagine any mods are cross compatible.

Yes and no. The turn mechanism is different (more like a 703/4) but the cores of the pickup and spindle motor are compatible. The decoding chips are quite similar too - the LD PCB was laid out in a newer late 90's technology, though, so it looks quite different.

If the composite output of the TBC is brought out and not just grounded, since they probably never planned to do direct composite out, that bypass mod could work fine.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 23:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

happycube wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Yes and no. The turn mechanism is different (more like a 703/4) but the cores of the pickup and spindle motor are compatible. The decoding chips are quite similar too - the LD PCB was laid out in a newer late 90's technology, though, so it looks quite different.

If the composite output of the TBC is brought out and not just grounded, since they probably never planned to do direct composite out, that bypass mod could work fine.

The spindle motors are mostly the same. Motors with red & white wires from a CLD will not work in a DVL for DVD playback. Motors with green & white wires will work in either player. The LD pickups are interchangeable with the exception of an additional clip on plastic part for the CLD pickup with keeps the ribbon cable from folding back on itself when switching from B to A.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]