It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 04:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-919] Unit works but occasional rattling during playback
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 19:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've got an issue with my 919 that's been bugging me for a while. Everything works great when playing a disc, picture is great. Sound is perfect.

However, it occasionally makes a rattling noise, almost a clicking, at seemingly random points during movies. It usually happens in bursts, like it runs silently for a while then it happens for a minute or so. It's loud enough to be annoying unless I'm cranking the volume. Again, playback is great even during periods where it makes the noise.

Recently, I was inside the unit tweaking the tilt pot a bit to reduce some crosstalk I was noticing. I was able to get it eliminated on all but the very old true CLV (non-CAA) discs. When I was messing with the tilt pot, I could actually make this noise happen deliberately by adjusting the pot in a certain position.

I didn't break it, this issue happened before my adjustments, but the fact that I was able to cause it based on where the pot was turned could be useful information here.

I'm suspecting something going on with something related to the pickup assembly, but of course I don't know which is why I'm asking here. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I can live with it, but it would be nice to fix if it's easy.

EDIT: I'll see if I can make a recording of the noise tonight, I was watching Star Trek III last night and it was happening during one part of the film.

I also write software.

Post subject: Re: DVL-919 Unit works, but occasional rattling during playb
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 00:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like tilt servo creaking? I've heard that but it would be one "click" as the tilt servo tilts further, then silent.

You really need frame 115 from a GGV disc to set this to the optimal value.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 01:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You're probably right. I actually would like to adjust this player's tilt properly though. I noticed there's still a little crosstalk in bright areas on the screen. I see a number of different GGV discs available. Is it a particular one that I need?

I also write software.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2021, 01:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mikechambers wrote:
Is it a particular one that I need?

The cheapest 8" GGV10* you can find. I think GGV1069 is $80 new from PacParts, but it is well worth it if you are confident enough to adjust your player.

https://www.lddb.com/search.php?referen ... e&sort=ref

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]