It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-700] Maintenance of neglected player
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 06:04 
Second post
Second post

Finally getting to watch my library of discs after many years of them just sitting around. I was a heavy smoker, carton a week, for the first 10 years of the players life although I haven't smoked for over 10 years now.

I plugged it in and tried a DVD first with poor success. But that isn't too important other than reassuring me that I got the physical connections to my AV receiver correct. Then I moved to a LD. Side A was fine but B would play just a few seconds then skip back in time and repeat. I fast forwarded a bit and the same thing happened again.

The player is almost 25 years old obviously. My memory of using the player years ago was that it always was fussy with DVD playback but otherwise worked well. It was and is noisy but that seems to be part of the Pioneer design.

I read through a number of threads here and have some plans on things that I should do.

There are enough threads about cleaning off the old grease and replacing it. That seems like an excellent idea especially when I consider that I was a smoker. So that's my first thing to do once the grease arrives from Amazon.

I then saw the threads about skipping during the first few minutes of side B playing. I think I could try those safely but I'm hoping cleaning and greasing the rails might fix it.

Initially when I had DVD playback issues I was thinking that I might need to clean the lenses. But since side A of a LD plays fine I'm guessing that the 2nd pickup for B side play would be equally clean as the A side lens and cleaning won't be necessary.

But since there are folks here with more experience I'm hoping to get suggestions on my plan or for things I've missed.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-700] Maintenance of neglected player
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 07:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm just pointing this out, but tar sticks. It doesn't go away on its own.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 16:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Try cleaning and re-greasing first. Smoke will turn the old grease yellow.

Side A and B use same pickup.

If new grease does not resolve the issue, try making tiny adjustments to side B centering.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 16:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nice smoke with a nice glass of scotch.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 17:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just make sure you are careful about only greasing the parts that should be greased. There are areas with belts and they have to stay grease free.

Also, I assume you have never replaced the loading belt? A stretched belt can cause some oddball issues such as tray loading and disc start errors.

Lastly, I did have skipping issues (mostly on Side B) on my CLD-D704 years ago that was caused by a bent turnstile carriage assembly (where the laser flips). Do you recall how you stored or had the player set-up all these years (e.g.: stacked heavy things on top of it)?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 03:52 
Second post
Second post

ldfan wrote:
Just make sure you are careful about only greasing the parts that should be greased. There are areas with belts and they have to stay grease free.

Also, I assume you have never replaced the loading belt? A stretched belt can cause some oddball issues such as tray loading and disc start errors.

Lastly, I did have skipping issues (mostly on Side B) on my CLD-D704 years ago that was caused by a bent turnstile carriage assembly (where the laser flips). Do you recall how you stored or had the player set-up all these years (e.g.: stacked heavy things on top of it)?

Thanks for the info about the belt. I'll take a look at it and see if it obviously is loose.

The player was stored by itself sitting in the normal position. That is as if I was going to put a disc in anytime. On my large entertainment center. It just sat unused for a dozen years.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]