It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-90] Turn Mechanism Jamming
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2021, 23:24 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I have had this DVL-90 for about a month so far and it has been flawless up until now. It started when I wished to play a movie and the laserdisc drawer would not come out. I thought it was just a bad belt so I manually retracted the tray, removed it and inspected the belt which seemed perfect. It was doing some odd things like retracting and showing open on the display. I browsed constant threads here on LaserDisc database to look for other people who may have had similar issues and noticed that both my laser pickups were in the turn mechanism which can cause this. I started to dig further and noticed that what I believe the DVD laser pickup is what is causing the issue. It looks as though it sits a bit cattywampus in the turn mechanism and I have to give the mechanism a jiggle while simultaneous turning the worm gear on the pickup for it to come out. Once I get it out halfway between the spindle and turn mechanism and give it power it moves back and forth like it should searching for a disc then stops since I have no disc in there. When I press open LD it backs into the turn mechanism with a nasty sound and stops. I then manually moved the turn mechanism to the other laser pickup to see what it did. It moves back into the turn mechanism with no nasty sounds and rotates fine. Also important to note I do not have to jiggle anything to manually move it out of the turn mechanism.Not exactly sure which one is which but I believe the DVD laser pickup assembly is the one jamming. If everything lines up in the turn mechanism it will move out fine. Something is binding up and I am not sure where to look. Any pointers would be much appreciated! Thanks.

P.S. I did ohm out the only limit switch I could easily get to which is the one that is binding. It rang out good but I did take a picture of its position.

With the pictures below you can definitely see one pickup side is askew and the other is straight. My best guess is it over traveled somehow and went to far back in the turn mechanism if that is possible.

DVD Carriage in Turn Mechanism (Top View)

CLD Carriage in Turn Mechanism (Top View)

Limit Switch Position

Look into the Turn Mechanism with CLD carriage out

Post subject: Re: DVL-90 Turn Mechanism Jamming
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2021, 04:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'd recommend taking the back extension off find the ribbon cable going between the mechanism and the DVD and LD main boards and the take you fingers and move it tapping up on it and see if it then works. These cables do fail and Pioneer does not supply replacement cables anymore. The DVL-90 and DVL-700 have unique cables. I have also replaced DVD pickups in the past and fixed this so you may want to check the connection between the of the ribbon cable to the DVD pickup. I have not seen any bad microswitches on the turn mechanism but you could swap the switches between the LD and DVD sides.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2021, 10:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:
I'd recommend taking the back extension off find the ribbon cable going between the mechanism and the DVD and LD main boards and the take you fingers and move it tapping up on it and see if it then works. These cables do fail and Pioneer does not supply replacement cables anymore. The DVL-90 and DVL-700 have unique cables. I have also replaced DVD pickups in the past and fixed this so you may want to check the connection between the of the ribbon cable to the DVD pickup. I have not seen any bad microswitches on the turn mechanism but you could swap the switches between the LD and DVD sides.

Will do. Thanks!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2021, 22:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So I tried jiggling wires and nothing seemed to change. It really does act like the player does not know that the DVD pickup is in the turn mechanism. Every time I manually move the dvd carriage onto the main rail and power it up it moves as it should and stops as it should. If I hit power it will go home and move the assembly down and shut off correctly. If I hit open DVD it will open the DVD tray. If I hit open LD it runs to the turn mechanism and stops. It will then come out just a hair and move back again and stop. Sometimes the player will show stop and sometimes it powers off automatically (assuming a watchdog timeout). I also took the lever off the turn mechanism for the DVD carriage switch to see what it would do if the switch was never made. The symptoms were identical. I did a continuity test from the limit switch board to the board that sits on the back of the turn mechanism and it ohms out when the carriage is back. Somehow the signal is not being transferred to the processor to tell the turn mechanism to rotate to the CLD carriage. Based on the print I have looks the LCSB and DCSB go through a ribbon cable to the main board. I might have to dig deeper and possibly ohm out the cables to see if I have lost connection. Looking like the ribbon from CN904 to CN801 on the CLD main assy. I will check continuity tomorrow.

Also, not sure if I am looking at it wrong but why is the DVD carriage actuating the LCSB limit switch. Based on my reading and the terminology should it not be actuating the DCSB limit switch? Definitely could be wrong.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021, 23:31 
Third post and above
Third post and above

krbahr wrote:

I checked the pins on the IC chip to see if my switches were being made and they work perfect (Other than SDCOUT which I cannot find where it lands). I then started to check the ribbons again but this time with the LD carriage out. I think I found my problem. I good nick in one of the ribbon cables. I gave the cable a jiggle with a plastic stick and it started moving the LD carriage. You can play a whole LD but once it returns back to switch carriages or do a side change it looses connection and symptoms are repeated. Anyone have spares that I can buy whether it be a cable or the whole turn mechanism?

Thanks for your help on this one. Definitely not going to scrap the machine. If all else fails I can try to get spares from ebay if someone is scrapping a unit for a different reason

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 01:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've not seen this done on LD players but have seen it on other ribbon cables in the past and know it can be done.

You need wire wrap wire, knife to scrap the white plastic and solder.
You solder the wire wrap wire as a jumper to bypass that nick.

I don't know if this will work on LD players but its an option if you can't get a new replacement.
And unknown if you can just use any ribbon cable that has the same amount of wires or if you need a special
plug at the end.

I am not a tech just giving advice. Good luck.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 02:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
I've not seen this done on LD players but have seen it on other ribbon cables in the past and know it can be done.

You need wire wrap wire, knife to scrap the white plastic and solder.
You solder the wire wrap wire as a jumper to bypass that nick.

I don't know if this will work on LD players but its an option if you can't get a new replacement.
And unknown if you can just use any ribbon cable that has the same amount of wires or if you need a special
plug at the end.

I am not a tech just giving advice. Good luck.

Strangely enough I was looking up the same thing on the internet. Once I get another long weekend I may try to tackle this. The nick barely goes into that first wire so it must make and break connection as it rotates. If it does make the darn thing runs flawlessly.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 08:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Do a search on ebay or any electronic supply company for "FFC Cable". You just might find one w/ the pin count and length needed for the player.

I did this fix a bad cable on a Sony DVD Changer.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2021, 17:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So I have some good news.

I decided to tackle this project yesterday and today because I cant stand unfinished business. Got the whole loading mechanism assembly out and found the nick cut right through the first trace which is the DVD carriage in position input which makes perfect sense. I got confused a little early on because the limit switch boards are labeled backwards. The inputs are correct though. I first scrapped back the plastic to expose fresh conductor and soldered a bridge running at 450F with 60/40 leaded solder which is about as low as I can go to avoid damaging the plastic. That lasted about two revolutions by hand. So I got a bigger chisel style tip so I could flat it out better, soldered it again. I then applied flux and reheated again to ensure a good joint, cleaned the area with isopropyl and then applied scotch tape over the cable at this point (probably 2 inches wide) to help distribute the force away from the solder joint. I then manually moved the rotation assembly 100 times by hand, testing continuity every so often. The tape really helps everything glide as before it would bind up ever so often. I then installed the loading mechanism back in and plugged everything in. The DVD sled was jammed because it over traveled due to lack of a input signal so I freed that. Now it switches sides perfectly and the DVD carriage no longer slams into the turn mechanism. I have watched 2 movies so far and will report if anything changes. Another option to consider is the conductive epoxy which may be a little more flexible if this was to fail again.

Last edited by plutonius on 06 Jun 2021, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2021, 19:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Looks good, the wire wrap is really made for this type of repair but this is a quick and dirty job.
But if it works keep running it until it goes again and I would do the wire wrap.

Is very thin and now that I think of it I should pickup a roll to have for emergency.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-90] Turn Mechanism Jamming  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 02:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I just wanted to give a update. Everything is still working like a champ and I have played roughly 50 movies since. This and my CLD-D503 get weekly action.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]