It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 04:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-700] Side A Centering Problem?
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 16:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello all,

A few months ago I picked up a lightly used DVL-700 locally. It seemed to work well at first, except for minor slipping issues which I resolved by replacing the grip ring. But over time it has started to act much more temperamentally.

When playing on Side A, it started out playing fine, but would start to glitch out after a few minutes (extreme video noise and eventual loss of signal - player goes to "STOP"). The exact time was different every play, sometimes around 5 minutes, sometimes not until 15-20 minutes in. Sometimes skipping ahead would avoid the issue completely, but usually by the end of the disc it was unplayable. Side B, on the other hand, plays completely perfectly from start to finish.

Reading up on this it seemed to likely be a centering issue on Side A. Given that I don't (yet) have a scope or reference disc, or even an 8" LD, I've pretty much had to do this blindly - ejecting the disc, adjusting, putting it back in, ejecting again, adjusting, etc). I went ahead and marked where the Side A centering screw was set to then started making tiny adjustments. Eventually, I managed to get the end of the disc playing correctly by adjusting clockwise about 1/8 of a turn. However, now the beginning of the disc wouldn't play! So I tried moving it about halfway back to where I started, now neither the start or the end of the side would play. But strangely, I moved back the screw to the original position I marked and now it will not play anything at all. It attempts to find Chapter 1 and fails -- the laser ends up going up and down the disc until it gives up and goes to "STOP", without slowing the disc down. I can't do anything until the disc slows down on its own (about 60 seconds?). Not sure if that is normal behavior when it gives up, given that I have a replaced grip ring -- it's like it chooses not to engage it to slow the disc.

I don't see the laser moving up and down trying to focus, just moving across the length of the disc. I'm not exactly sure what has happened since now any centering adjustment results in the entirety of Side A being unplayable, even the original position (nor does my adjusted position that got later chapters working work anymore). Given that Side B is working fine, it doesn't seem to be a bad laser. Could something else have gone out of alignment coincidentally? Where do I go from here?

Post subject: Re: [DVL-700] Side A Centering Problem?
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021, 21:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Check that the white plastic track isn't cracked.

Also, adjust centering using a CD instead of LD since it requires more precision.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-700] Side A Centering Problem?
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2021, 13:30 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well, attempting to check with a CD revealed more problems. Now apparently the CD/DVD eject doesn't work (I know it worked when I first got the player, as I did do some testing then). The laser moves back and forth and then nothing happens and the blue light on the front of the machine starts blinking. The full LD tray eject works fine, but if I put a CD in that way, it doesn't try to spin it up or read it at all, which I think is expected behavior. LDs still spin up and attempt to play. Not sure what causes this... usually I hear of the opposite happening (CD/DVD ejects but not LD) or neither working. It kinda looks like the laser is trying to get out of the way so it can pop out the smaller tray, but it gets stuck. It kinda clicks while moving back and then reverses. You'd think that something is in the way, but when I put an LD in, the laser moves freely and I can even flip it to side B and back to side A without issue.

Then while observing all this I noticed that the little peg on this thing broke:

I did not notice this earlier as it appears normal until you look at it very closely. I'm assuming it's been broken since this issue began. According to the service manual this appears to be the D LEVER ASSY (VXA2205). I assume this is related to the problem, but I couldn't really find a description as to what this lever does.

So far, this is the only thing I can find that actually has any damage.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]