It is currently 27 Jan 2023, 18:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony MDP-500 Power Issue
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2022, 06:51 
First post
First post

Howdy, everyone.

My back up player has long had an issue with powering up. It takes a dozen clicks of the "power" or "play" button to power the machine on, and lately it has been powering off randomly after it finally powers on. I've heard these Sony machines are not the greatest available, but it was made well and has earned the right to stay alive, no? It's a nice piece of equipment, I'd prefer to fix it.

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? It reads discs fine and usually it stays on, but it always has an issue powering up. I have to press the power button at least 10-15 times rapid-fire style to boot it up. Any help would be amazing!

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-500 Power Issue
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2022, 07:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

More than likely it’s the same issue affecting MDP-600 units which is dried capacitors in the power supply and possibly main board (if the 500’s main board has a similar set of caps).

This would be a good case scenario as cap replacement is not too overly complicated and caps are simply generic parts that are always available. Worst case is a bad laser pick-up and/or spindle motor (probably not if you say it plays fine when it does play).

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]