It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [MDP-600] Looks great but Side A play is weird
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2022, 01:33 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Picked up a mint condition, one-owner Sony MDP-600 in a lot local to me. These things get a lot of hate online but I don’t see why! The picture is nice and sharp with no smear, to my eyes at least!

THAT BEING SAID, it has a weird problem sometimes where the video on Side A plays all glitchy and terrible (audio is fine). When I flip to side B (on the unit, not physically), Side B ALWAYS plays perfect. Then I have the unit flip back to Side A and that plays perfect? This doesn’t happen EVERY time when you start with Side A and I’m not entirely sure why it would only happen sometimes and then not happen on Side B at all. If you start the disc on side B, it tracks fine as well. The tray is a bit loud and the unit hadn’t been used for years — maybe the gears just need some grease?

Here are some photos of it misbehaving on Side A (before flipping to Side B and back to A): https://imgur.com/a/UF4dkAr

My Pioneer LD-V4400 has more vibrant colors but I’d say this Sony has a sharper image and less smear; looks like you’re watching a DVD. I’ve read that some of these were bad and some were good and this one looks really impressive! That being said, I probably won’t hold on to this machine just because I don’t have the space (if anyone is interested — I’m in Massachusetts)

Any tips on maintenance to make this go away? Great player otherwise!

Post subject: Re: [MDP-600] Looks great but Side A play is weird
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2022, 16:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Wanted to give a quick status update on this.

The gears on my unit were extremely, extremely slow from hardened grease. I used the linked YouTube video as a reference and cleaned it all up / re-greased and the player started working much, much better. Also made sure the ribbon cable on the laser assembly wasn't getting snagged.

The one I have must have avoided the capacitor plague as all electrolytic test fine and look totally good to go.

that being said... the player DOES still have this Side A playback issue, just a lot less frequently. The quick fix is load a disc, press the "side B" button, then press the "side A" button and it always plays fine from that point forward. Player is still very enjoyable and I will be giving it to a friend who is just getting into LD.

I might be psyching myself out on this but it also seemed (prior to re-greasing the gears) that Side A would play better based on how I sat the disc in the tray? Not sure.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/n2uu2RtwUf8[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: [MDP-600] Looks great but Side A play is weird
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2022, 21:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

zw12345 wrote:
Picked up a mint condition, one-owner Sony MDP-600 in a lot local to me. These things get a lot of hate online but I don’t see why!

1st its a Sony, there used to be one who loved Sony here on the forum. Sony stopped making them only a few years into the LD market
and kept with CDs.

Also even back in the day there were no parts or people who could fix them.

Then you have the dreaded cap issue where lots of Sony stuff suffered from poor quality caps in a certain time period, and their LD players
fall into this time period.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]