It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems with Sony Lasermax MDP-1700AR
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013, 00:29 
This is my first post. I have searched but cannot seem to find any answers to my problems.

I bought this Lasermax not knowing if it worked or not. When I hooked it up the power light worked (hey maybe this thing is OK) and although the first few times I pressed 'Open/Close' the tray came out. I then put in a disc and it closed, but now I cannot get it to eject. Is there a way, when the cover is removed to manually activate an eject? Also, although I have it connected to my TV with RCA cables when I push 'Play' nothing happens. It appears most of the other buttons work such as power, side A & B, repeat and when I press screen color I get a lot of static on the screen but no picture - push it again and I get no static which leads me to believe something (not sure what) is working. Oh, all the lights seem to work in the center display. It was quite dusty and I carefully blew out as much dust as I could.

Any and all help would be appreciated including a copy of the operators manual by email otherwise I guess this is just a boat anchor.

Thanks,
Madonna

Post subject: Re: Problems with Sony Lasermax MDP-1700AR
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013, 03:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

if the buttons work when you press them then it sounds like it's working :think:
if you don't hear spinning disc then it's not working.
if you didn't pay too much i would take the risk and try to open it up and see what you can do.
but if you don't think you can do much i would just open it up and get your disc out.

sounds like you have like you said the anchor OR you can send it away for fixing.
good luck.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013, 22:34 
Thanks Rein-O for the comments. For information I do not hear the disc spinning and I have opened the case but cannot figure how to get the disc out? Is there a button to push, etc or do I have to take a screwdriver and take out everything to gain access to the disc?

Actually I paid $35 at a farm auction for 28 discs plus this machine. I do not have another player but if worse comes to worse and the machine will not play I will give the discs to our Son who has a player.

Appreciate all help.
Madonna2

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2013, 23:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

First, avoid SONY players!! Second you need to look beside the tray on each side for plastic pieces that move forward or back and manually push them to get the tray into open mode. If that does not work I'd just take it apart and throw it away after you get the LD out.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 02:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Not really a great thing if it won't play, regardless of the brand. I think yours has laser troubles possibly and may have been originally a school/demonstration player. This kind of thing happenes with those models and others that were used/misused a lot and then sat for many years.

I've had and still have several 1700's and they are actually some of the better of the Sony bunch. They are the lasermax industrial player with the dual side play mechanism. Better picture than the later Sony players with the exception of the MDP-V series Asian market players.

If you don't get it to operate, toss it my way, I'll take it.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2019, 10:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

krbahr wrote:
First, avoid SONY players!!

Honestly in my experience they are overall more reliable than Pioneer players. I may be an outlier here but if a Sony player works it works. Only caveat is Sony door mechs, usually over complicated and beautiful (Sony players look better than Pioneer imo) they fail a lot and I have destroyed more than one Sony deck trying to fix the door mechanism.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]