It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony MDP-455 Won't spin or read discs
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 09:09 
I just recently moved and tried to use my Sony MDP-455 for the first time tonight only to find out it no longer works. It will turn on and there is a video signal, and the tray opens and closes. But when I load a disc in it does not spin and the laser does not move up or down the rack. I have taken some pictures of the insides and a video of a disc trying to load. If you can help me repair it please let me know your suggestions.

Here are the pictures.

http://imageshack.us/g/694/4qlt.jpg/

and here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0e2ZVy ... e=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-455 Won't spin or read discs
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 16:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Maybe the flex cable needs to be reseated?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 18:59 
Which one is the flex cable? The one on the laser? I already pushed that one in as far as I could.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2013, 22:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, that's the flex cable.
from what others say sony LD players aren't that great anyway, i would just look into getting a better player.
you can find some great working units for under 100 if you can afford more then look for even better ones.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 00:50 
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a better one, do you have a suggestion for one that would have the best picture, or is there somewhere on this site you could point me with a list of good models or something? I was going to be using it to capture rare movies and transfer them to DVD so one with a good picture from an S-Video out would be ideal.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 01:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

you will have to search.
my 2 cents are:
double side play, parts available for future repair, picture quality.
i've only had 5 players, i can only tell you about 3 of them, the other two were so long ago that i can't remember.

CLD-3070 older player but great, real workhorse, used it daily for LD and CD playback from 89-2004
it still works but the old grease is sticky and i need it cleaned, just cleaned.
parts are no longer available so you will have to stock up on players or get in touch with duncan/ldservice or duane/grasshopper
grasshopper has parts players around so i know that he can still fix them into the future, i'm sure duncan has parts also, but i never asked him about that.

CLD-D503 great double side player, lower quality but works fine for what i need in my office space.
parts are still available.

CLD-R7G great picture quality, lesser build quality, have it from 2004 to now and i've had to get it fixed twice.

others say the panisonic 900 is a great player, i'm sure it is but you can't get parts anymore.
hope that helps.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 16:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
you will have to search.
my 2 cents are:
double side play, parts available for future repair, picture quality.
i've only had 5 players, i can only tell you about 3 of them, the other two were so long ago that i can't remember.

CLD-3070 older player but great, real workhorse, used it daily for LD and CD playback from 89-2004
it still works but the old grease is sticky and i need it cleaned, just cleaned.
parts are no longer available so you will have to stock up on players or get in touch with duncan/ldservice or duane/grasshopper
grasshopper has parts players around so i know that he can still fix them into the future, i'm sure duncan has parts also, but i never asked him about that.

CLD-D503 great double side player, lower quality but works fine for what i need in my office space.

CLD-R7G great picture quality, lesser build quality, have it from 2004 to now and i've had to get it fixed twice.

others say the panisonic 900 is a great player, i'm sure it is but you can't get parts anymore.
hope that helps.

The LX-900 is a great player, but you have to be willing to buy another to have as a spare for parts, or an LX-600 which uses most of the same major parts like the laser, slider/U-turn system, spindle motor, etc... It's like the Runco - now that's a truly superb player but again I have to keep spare LX-900's around for parts replacement in case something goes wrong - luckily all of the custom Runco circuitry was off-the-shelf stuff like another power transformer for the audio section, AD811 video opamp's (in both the video and audio sections due to their speed and performance), Zettler relays, a better master clock for both the audio and video sections, etc. One major advantage of the LX-900 and players based on it, is the analog FM audio - its head and shoulders above Pioneer's analog audio playback, which is weird because Panasonic used Pioneer's analog audio FM demodulator/CX NR IC in the 900 - anyway, the 900 suppresses the ticks and pops and chatter of rotted discs and you never hear helicoptering - nor do you hear sibilance splatter or any of the other ills that can affect the analog FM audio tracks - that can be important if you have or collect a lot of the older analog only titles or prefer the analog tracks to the digital ones.

Rein-o, what have been the problems you've had with the R7G that required repair? Does the player feel cheap and give off the low-cost 'clackity' plastic sounds when it loads or changes sides? I just wonder because I didn't know that was a cheaply made player - and doesn't it use Mitsubishi's Super 3D Adaptive Comb Filter IC?

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-455 Won't spin or read discs  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 16:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I guess I'm lucky as I've had my R7G since 2005 and haven't had a single issue with it :knocks wood:. It is light. Lighter than any of the "higher end" players like the D70X or LX-900. So I guess that's one of the indicators of the build quality.

The Mitsubishi comb filter is great. Really cuts down both dot crawl and cross color.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 19:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i've played over 700 discs from 2004 to now, and the laser was going bad.
when i received it, the bar on tracking the laser poped out during shipping from poor packing,
and i didn't know what else may have been wrong with it.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 14:23 
could you take a look of it trying to load a disc, make sure there is no disc there so you can see the laser movement.
and also with a cd, if it plays audio cds?

it could be the laser got knocked a bit and cant find the disc. on most optical laser , the laser will move up and down to try to focus on the disc.

also see if you can manually move the laser gear forward/back. just dont force it , but see if the gears or track broke.

the noise could be the laser or laser gears, or the spinner or something else... try to locate it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]