It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Sony MDP-MR1 player will not unload CD's
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 13:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My Sony MDP-MR1 plays 12" and 8" LD's and CD/CDV's very well. The problem is that it will not unload the CD's. The first time it happened I had to take the cover off the player and physically push the CD down to get it off the spindle. The LD's have enough weight that they come off the spindle with no problem. A CD does not have enough weight to drop off the spindle on its own. Has anyone experienced this problem and is there an easy solution?

For me, this problem is not a show stopper. I have other players that can play CD's so the lack of CD playing on the MDP-MR1 is not a big problem. I just have to remember not to play CD's on this player.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Post subject: Re: My Sony MDP-MR1 player will not unload CD's
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 17:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had a SOny player once that had a similar problem, and it turned out the spindle had gotten a little bit of sticky residue on it. I think it might have been a tiny bit of the LD glue that came out of the inner edge of a disc. I cleaned it up, and it was fine afterwards.

If not that, check to see if there's a burr or something causing the discs to stick. It wouldn't hurt to clean it up good to see if that resolves the trouble.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 18:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Rixrex:

What do suggest that I use for a solvent to clean up the spindle?
CED

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 20:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

This old thread (featuring this board's own KBahr) about cleaning a CLD-79 spindle says to use Radio Shack Head Cleaning solution:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.vide ... 5e96?pli=1

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 22:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is a different cleaning issue from the Pioneer unit cleaning. If this only happens with one CD then the center hole may have debris on it and needs to be cleaned out. If it is all CD/CDV's then I agree the top clamp positioning tab probably has something on it that is holding the CD/CDV's.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 23:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I can't tell you if it was this one CD or all CD's. I tried to play a CD only once and the sticking occured and I decided not to do it again. When I have a chance, I will open up the player and take a good look at the spindle. I am not certain if any sticky residue will be visible. I will give it a cleaning just the same anyway.
CED

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 04:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The residue wasn't readily visible. It took a bright spot flashlight and close inspection to see anything at all. I always found that this glue residue is easily cleaned off with a tiny bit of lightweight petroleum, like WD-40, on a paper towel, then a good cleaning with isopropryl alcohol to get any oilyness off. I also like to use Rawn rubber drive cleaner.

But it is a good idea to see how other CDs do firsthand.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 22:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

More on the sticky CD problem.

I opened up my Sony MDP-600 and watched it as it loaded a CD. The tray comes out for the disc and I placed the CD on it. I then pressed the disc tray button and the tray went in alright. The mechanism then lifted the CD up to a round white plastic disc which pressed down on the CD followed by the turntable spinup. The CD then played ok. Now, when I pressed the tray eject button, the turntable drops to deposit the CD on the tray for ejection except the CD stayed attached to the white plastic disc. I removed the CD and checked the white plastic to find that it has a sticky substance all around the bottom of it. I tried to clean it off with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and the IPA did not touch it. I stopped here and reassembled the player for later work. I need to find some Goo-Be-Gone to do more cleaning. While I had the cover off the player, I observed that the turntable comes up and touches the white plastic disk when the power is turned off. Meaning that the white disk is in constant contact with the turntable when the player is idle. Does this seem to be where the sticky material is coming from?
CED

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 00:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I had the exact same problem with a Sony MDP 850D laserdisc player. It played 8" and 12" LDs fine but would not unload 5" CDs or CDVs.
I also had to take it apart to get the disc out! It wasn't a very good player anyway in terms of picture quality so I discontinued using it after about 6 months.
It hasn't been used since then but it seems to be a common problem for Sony players if this thread is anything to go by.
All of my other players are Pioneer and I've never seen that happen once.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 01:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had problems with one of my Pioneer players. It actually took a bit of the label off one of my laserdiscs. As it ended up the rubber mat part that is on the motor spindle was sticky. Cleaning it didn't work as much as I tried and was still sticky, so I ended up removing the rubber and any residue on the bottom and top of the disc clamp and putting a new rubber mat on. That solved the problem.

Yours being it clamps together when idle might have sticky residue from the bottom motor spindle rubber. Something to check.

I would be careful using Goo Gone on any plastic parts. I used it on a CD case once for sticker residue, and the Goo Gone ate right into the plastic.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 02:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

dumbchemist wrote:
More on the sticky CD problem.

I opened up my Sony MDP-600 and watched it as it loaded a CD. The tray comes out for the disc and I placed the CD on it. I then pressed the disc tray button and the tray went in alright. The mechanism then lifted the CD up to a round white plastic disc which pressed down on the CD followed by the turntable spinup. The CD then played ok. Now, when I pressed the tray eject button, the turntable drops to deposit the CD on the tray for ejection except the CD stayed attached to the white plastic disc. I removed the CD and checked the white plastic to find that it has a sticky substance all around the bottom of it. I tried to clean it off with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and the IPA did not touch it. I stopped here and reassembled the player for later work. I need to find some Goo-Be-Gone to do more cleaning. While I had the cover off the player, I observed that the turntable comes up and touches the white plastic disk when the power is turned off. Meaning that the white disk is in constant contact with the turntable when the player is idle. Does this seem to be where the sticky material is coming from?

Don't use that Goo Gone stuff or anything likeit that may mar some plastics, like acetone. Re-read what I wrote before, it will do the job:

I always found that this glue residue is easily cleaned off with a tiny bit of lightweight petroleum, like WD-40, on a paper towel, then a good cleaning with isopropryl alcohol to get any oilyness off.

Isopropryl Alcohol by itself will not do it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]