It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony MDP850D power supply
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 12:19 
Hello all this is my first time on here and I hope someone can help.
I have a very nice Sony MDP850D laserdisc player but it has no power I have taken the power supply board out and its dead.
Would any one of you guys have a spare power supply or know of anyone that would be able to repair it for me.
Barry.

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP850D power supply
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 13:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've a Sony MDP850D player. It was the first player I bought back in 2006 but I no longer use it as I've many other machines.
It cannot be used to play 5" CDV/ CDs etc as they will jam and you will endup having to take the top off to get them out!! - that was the case from when I got it even though it was sold to me as working like new! It also suffered from occasional side change issues which I never experienced with any of the Pioneer machines. Sony LD players aren't very good.

In hindsight it wasn't the greatest purchase I made as it was quite expensive, and unreliable however that was my introduction to laserdisc. It cost quite a bit too because it came bundled with a large collection of LDs - many of which were also rotted! I think the seller knew exactly what he was doing when he was listing it on Ebay.

Given the above it is probably an ideal candidate for a donor machine for someone. PM me if you are interested in purchasing.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 21:19 
Hi new to this and not sure if you got my PM.
Barry

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 22:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I've a Sony MDP850D player. It was the first player I bought back in 2006 but I no longer use it as I've many other machines.
It cannot be used to play 5" CDV/ CDs etc as they will jam and you will endup having to take the top off to get them out!! - that was the case from when I got it even though it was sold to me as working like new!
Re the 5" disc problem - I had something similar with mine a few years ago, it was simply that the upper disc clamp was a little 'sticky' (whatever they'd used to coat it had decayed somewhat after a couple of decades), so when ejecting a disc the lightweight 5" disc would remain stuck for a second on the upper clamp, and then fall off after the tray had slid out. I gave it a bit of a clean and it's been okay since.
laserdisc_fan wrote:
It also suffered from occasional side change issues which I never experienced with any of the Pioneer machines. Sony LD players aren't very good.
Never had any side change issues. In theory the continuous "U"-shaped track on the Sony double-side machines looks as though it should be simpler and less troublesome than the motorised flipping Pioneer design, but perhaps in practice that isn't the case...?

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP850D power supply  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 23:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm just pointing this out, but you do know you're replying to a 5 year old thread, right?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 23:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t see any problem with that. It may be five more years before anyone needs this kind of info but it’s good to get it written down somewhere.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 23:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's fair.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2019, 21:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Honestly speaking i’m glad yaffle did bring it up.

I’ve been having issues with some of my Pioneer units having sticking issues with 5” discs and maybe this post will lead to a solution for me (or not).

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 12:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Exactly what my Sonys did to my one and only CDV when I got it recently, good thread to revive.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]