It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: [MDP-600] Repairing a Sony Laserdisc Player
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 01:01 
First post
First post

I stumbled into a Sony MDP-600 Laserdisc player at a local thrift store. The mic volume knob was physically damaged like it had been hit or dropped, and something was rattling inside. I asked if I could plug it in, and they did. It turned on, but would not eject, just sat there acting like it was trying. They offered it to me for free if I wanted to try to take it home and fix it...which I did. Now I'm looking for an expert...or maybe just someone who knows where I can get a service manual. :-) Though from what I'm reading just browsing the forum with regards to Sony equipment, my best bet may just be to toss it in the trash and move on...

Pulled the cover off and found the head assembly laying in the bottom, attached only by the ribbon cable. It travels on a rail that also goes upside down so it can read both sides of the disc without taking the disc out and turning it over. Part of the mount had broken off. Fortunately, it was still stuck in the bottom. Some reconstructive surgery on a "fin" at the top that trips sensors was performed, as well as careful and hopeful super-gluing of the broken piece. Amazingly enough, I was able to slide it back on and it moved to its home position at the bottom...and hasn't yet broken!

Unfortunately, that still didn't help. With some more work, I got the front cover re-seated so the drop-down front is attached properly and dropping down when moving the tray gear train to eject. Powered off, I can manually move it from fully ejected to injected and disc locked ready for play. Unfortunately, with the power on, it's just not happy about something. I can't get it to eject or inject by the button. If I force it open, I can turn it on and nudge it to close and it closes, but trying to play or anything, it will not lock the disc down and try to play. Not sure the exact sequence now, but I could put in a laserdisc and at one point the front panel indicated that it knew it was holding an LD and it looked happy...but as soon as I tried to play or otherwise, it just flashed like it was trying, but only sat there. Tried everything I can think of...all the sensors seem to be ok as best I can tell...head moves around a bit sometimes...though I guess it's possible there is something in the head assembly that got damaged...or who knows what...clearly it took a bad hit to snap off the head assembly.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm not going to put any real money into it...just always though LD's were cool...and I even have three discs I found at another thrift shop a while back...

Thanks,

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Repairing Sony MDP-600 Laserdisc Player
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2023, 21:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I realize this is very old. Just in case this comes up in someone else's search: There are two micro switches on the main display board, and at least one of these gets pressed by the front drop-down panel. If you remove the drop-down panel, hold it open, or for some other reason (damage) it doesn't close the micro switch, then the player will not play the disc.

You can load / eject. You can 'nudge' it as you mentioned, and it will respond. However, it will not play unless you close that tiny switch.

-Adam

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]