It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:11

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [MDP-600] Player issue, laser?
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018, 21:13 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Had this player for like 7-8 yrs from when I bought it off ebay. Worked good then. Recently ive been having issues playing discs after the player sat unused. The first time I took the cover off and q-tipped the lens and cleaned it then it fixed said issue. Now im back at square one with the same symptoms happening again. A bit ago I tried to repeat the above process but it did not even have a effect this time.

So what happens:
Put a disc in it says "play" on the front display but disc does not spin. Then after blinking play it just says STOP, but shows LD and SIDEA/B is lit up on the display. IF I push Side B the laser sled goes nicely around to side B and the discs starts spinning up (before the laser even gets to its position for side B) but then it stops spinning and just says STOP again after the laser gets to its position and stops.

Laser comes on i see it when its down in Side A position and it looks like its trying to focus, but then nothing happens. Everything else seemingly works well, gears and everything is working well. Putting in a audio CD I get "NO DISC" on the display when attempting to play a music cd.

Before when it was working I'd put in a disc for side A it would sit there and not spin the disc up right away but would seemingly recognize the disc or get the contents of the disc(whatever the technical term is for this being at the center of the disc) then start spinning up there after under normal operation.

Other side note looks like this unit may have been possibly repaired or worked on a bit before me as taking off the cover theres seemingly some non traditional wiring with a couple of extra wires soldered to some resistors on top with some foam pads to protect against shorting.

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-600 Player issue, laser?
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 02:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I know this sounds like a pretty unconstructive answer, but the easiest solution is to get a player that isn't a Sony. They're damn near impossible to maintain in the absence of spare parts.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 02:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

bigtanks wrote:
some non traditional wiring with a couple of extra wires soldered to some resistors on top with some foam pads to protect against shorting.

They would have done this type of thing if there was an adjustment on the schematics that was changed with jumpers rather than
re-make a new revised board.

As for repair, its a Sony as said above.
Take your chances, see if you can get it working and move onto another LD player

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 06:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
bigtanks wrote:
some non traditional wiring with a couple of extra wires soldered to some resistors on top with some foam pads to protect against shorting.

They would have done this type of thing if there was an adjustment on the schematics that was changed with jumpers rather than

Take your chances, see if you can get it working and move onto another LD player

Yeah sort of what it looks like from what I observed, its not major components, and as said they just ran a few short wires with some resistors wired in.

takeshi666 wrote:
I know this sounds like a pretty unconstructive answer, but the easiest solution is to get a player that isn't a Sony. They're damn near impossible to maintain in the absence of spare parts.

Yeah I think I caught a drift of this in another post elsewhere about lackness of spare parts.

Ill keep this unit around its not totally shot or a dumpster piece. Its acted up in the past then like I did nothing and came back and it was working. IDK probably doesnt help I had it on the bottom of a stack of other players and systems. Possibly the weight did something to it. Although nothing is bent or mis shapen in the case.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 07:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

In my not insignificant experience, Sony players are more robust than Pioneer ones, try to keep this one alive.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 08:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

bigtanks wrote:
rein-o wrote:
bigtanks wrote:

Yeah sort of what it looks like from what I observed, its not major components, and as said they just ran a few short wires with some resistors wired

Sounds more like what you are describing is an aftermarket AC3-RF output board. :idea:

Anyway, I have nothing to really add about the problem with the player but it sounds like it could be a laser pick-up focus adjustment. Just a guess.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 09:47 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:

Sounds more like what you are describing is an aftermarket AC3-RF output board. :idea:

Anyway, I have nothing to really add about the problem with the player but it sounds like it could be a laser pick-up focus adjustment. Just a guess.

Nah theres no AC-3 output jack on this model...nor anything drilled out in the case.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 16:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh yes, it could be an AC-3 but also if they decided to do a running change after board were made they would typically just run jumpers or something like that
until there was a revision on making a new board.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 20:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

bigtanks wrote:

Nah theres no AC-3 output jack on this model...nor anything drilled out in the case.

Could also be someone started to do an AC3 mod but never got it completed. Only way to know is to trace the wires back and see where they were going.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 21:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yeah I hooked it up again today and fiddled with it. Wont even recognize a audio cd at all says no disc.

With a 1 sided only LD I put that in and it recognizes the disc enough to only show Side A on the display, but it will not play.

Is there any adjustments I could do to the laser or try? Pots to adjust or dont even think about messing with that. Something I can check for visually next time I take it apart? Any kinds of tricks or tips would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 21:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sounds like alignment issues, If your player can play a CD then you need to tweek to play an LD.

So if you can't play the CD then it sounds like its out of something.
Do some searching and see if you can find a service manual or look for the other service manuals on what to adjust with tilt, focus, centering etc.
But you are doing this at your own risk and very very small adjustments should be done, also make sure you mark or picture before you start fiddling inside.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 07:51 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Sounds like alignment issues, If your player can play a CD then you need to tweek to play an LD.

So if you can't play the CD then it sounds like its out of something.
Do some searching and see if you can find a service manual or look for the other service manuals on what to adjust with tilt, focus, centering etc.
But you are doing this at your own risk and very very small adjustments should be done, also make sure you mark or picture before you start fiddling inside.

It wont play a audio CD or even recognize a audio cd, itll try to read than says NO DISC. Itll recognize a Laserdisc but it wont start playing.

From watching it with the cover off when I first posted this thread the laser goes to home position fine (on the sled since this player requires no flipping for side a/b) then sort of goes up and down a bit trying to read. It shows after it fails to play the disc on the display LD icon illuminated, then Sides A/B. Hence my test with the single side LD it only lit up "Side A" only on the display. So its not too bad if its still picking up laserdiscs.

Ill try to lookup some manuals and such when I get it apart again. Wondering if somehow just ever so slightly the gears for the tray is off a little bit somehow and maybe by whatever miniscule amount the tray is just off enough to not allow the disc to drop far enough to the laser. Although I though these players can adjust for this, like for example if you lost power to the player mid playing of a disc and turned it back on it would like reset to home or a base position. Or usually if its out of sync in terms of the loading mechanism its usually so bad that it won't even get into the attempt of loading the disc or the tray will eject back out.. IDK

Maybe someone can advise to that last excerpt of speculation about the loading mechanism(s)

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 15:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

When the top is off will it lift the disc at all??

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2018, 08:06 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
When the top is off will it lift the disc at all??

Not sure exactly what you mean. The disc is level/up in the tray when loading then when it initiates to play the tray and disc gets lowered a bit. And it does all this even with the cover off. When I first fixed it by cleaning the laser(which I thought was the issue) months ago it fired up and played with the cover off that time.

Unless by top you mean taking the top half off the spindle off. That I havent messed with at all. Only thing I ever did was take the case cover off. Never went any further than that myself.

You can see in this guy demoing a 600 model with the cover off to give you a exact visual of what it does upon load/play:
https://youtu.be/EQXLfWxhoUY?t=18

His nearly immediately plays after the disc gets lowered, about 1-2 seconds if even the disc starts spinning up. Mine just sits there with the "play" blinking on the display then it like gives up and says "stop" then on display. But it does know a disc is in there as said above and the LD icon is illuminated and what Sides are available to play.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2018, 16:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

When working the tray will either go down or the spindle will lift up the LD disc.

Does this happen when loading the disc??

If not then you can figure if its a mechanical or electronic issue.

If it does then you can figure its the laser, if not then you can figure its something else.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2018, 20:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, sounds like a loading or spindle motor issue. It’s not yet getting to the point where laser performance matters (unless Sonys use lasers as a prox detector). If this were a Pioneer we’d be saying “clean the loading belt”

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2018, 23:17 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Im gonna tink with it here now. About to take the cover off now.

Im gonna check some of the loading brackets and screws maybe something is loose.

I know on a similar model I watched a video and the guy had to put some shims underneath the top metal bracket for spacing then tighten/loose screws accordingly to balance out the disc spinning/making noise.

EDIT: Well i think its done for, not much I can do without stripping the whole thing down which I dont want to do.

Anyone live near the midwest want to take a look at this or meet me to toss it off a bridge? :mrgreen:

NAH itll just go back in the entertainment tower. Gonna have to keep a lookout for a player now. So much for my Die Hard 1/2 Christmas viewing.

EDIT2: found a service manual got it downloaded. I guess you can short a pin to ground off the board and enter a special menu where you can literally run all sorts of tests and get readout codes back on screen to see whats actually being done in the unit and if it fails or passes. Incredible.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2018, 06:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good luck with it, I'm definitely also thinking Die Hard 1 and 2 this Xmas eve..!

Sorry you probably won't get your McClane fix this year, there's always next year and I'll think of you when I'm mouthing the one liners!

Merry Christmas mo****f***er!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2018, 15:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

bigtanks wrote:
EDIT2: found a service manual got it downloaded. I guess you can short a pin to ground off the board and enter a special menu where you can literally run all sorts of tests and get readout codes back on screen to see whats actually being done in the unit and if it fails or passes. Incredible.

You shouldn't have to strip it down all the way.
But then again it is a Sony.

And this is why I also picked up a cheap copy of Die Hard on DVD to enjoy and keep the Christmas spirit alive :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2018, 17:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

NOW I'VE GOT A MACHINE GUN. HO. HO. HO. ahhhh, one of the great indisputable modern Christmas classics.

i've had the complete DIE HARD BRD collection for several years now, though only the first two films are worth bothering with, IMO, at least...

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next