It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fried my Sony MDP-650 : (
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 10:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So I'm so stupid, I was rearranging cables and I plug in my 240 volt connected power cord for my VHS deck into the US 110v MDP-650. Fried it and it wouldn't power up with the proper transformed power supply returned to it.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then I popped the hood and I can see a standard fuse near where the power cable goes in. It looks burned.. it's well hidden so I used tweezers to pop it out over about an hour of maneuvering and it's burned out good, coulda saved my machine tho..

So next move is somehow pop a new fuse in..I have spare 250V rated fuses of the same size for some reason. Would it work to use one of these or would it impede the normal power supply since I'm only feeding it 110V? The original fuse is 125V rated of course.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fried my Sony MDP-650 : (
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 11:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forper wrote:
So next move is somehow pop a new fuse in..I have spare 250V rated fuses of the same size for some reason. Would it work to use one of these or would it impede the normal power supply since I'm only feeding it 110V? The original fuse is 125V rated of course.

250V rated fuse if plugged on 240V will guarantee you fry things deeper inside.

Stick to the original rating, not a good time to be creative in electronics design power protection!

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 11:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I just checked apparantly you can load 250V fuses with the same amperage but after thinking it through, I want that 125V limit for a good reason! like you say.

I'll order a new fuse.

I'm my own worst enemy. Anyone here revived their LD player after doing something similarly dumb?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 11:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forper wrote:
Yeah I just checked apparantly you can load 250V fuses with the same amperage but after thinking it through, I want that 125V limit for a good reason! like you say.

I'll order a new fuse.

I'm my own worst enemy. Anyone here revived their LD player after doing something similarly dumb?

If the design was well made, the fuse took the hit and the power adaptation was spared.

If you are less lucky, the power adaptation level got hit but didn't damage anything further and the module only needs to be replaced.
Maybe the player had multiple worldwide releases at different input voltages, that would require a modular design.

If the design expected a perfect power feed with no extra margin, it's up to the original designers...

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 12:19 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

That's unlike you to have to replace something in your Sony. These things can happen. Hopefully you'll be watching it again soon.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 12:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
forper wrote:

I'll order a new fuse.

If the design was well made, the fuse took the hit and the power adaptation was spared.

If you are less lucky, the power adaptation level got hit but didn't damage anything further and the module only needs to be replaced.
Maybe the player had multiple worldwide release at different input voltages, that would require a modular design.

If the design expected a perfect power feed with no extra margin, it's up to the original designers...

Julien

Ah thanks for that, fingers crossed, I'll report back here after I get my fuses in.

Thanks Xtempo.

Post subject: Re: Fried my Sony MDP-650 : (  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 07:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My fuses arrived this week and I got some time today. Now for a guy who looks at electronics wrong and they break replacing a fuse isn't as easy as it sounds. First I didn't want to remove anything except the top/side panel and that left a tiny gap to try and position the fuse into the housing with tweezers. Tried this for an hour unsuccessfully before giving into the fact I may have to lift a circuit board and manually move the tray (something that has every time resulted in me messing up the complex Sony tray and door mechanisms on other players). Then I looked at the back panel. Lots of screws, are those inputs and outputs attached to it I thought..? Hmmm, removed all the screws and it came away clean, giving me clear access! Put in a new fuse and the rear panel back on.

Plugged the power in..good as new! Looks like the old fuse did its job and protected the player. Phew, that was a close one, almost lost my only dual sided player and losing any otherwise reliable player at this point is bad news.

Very happy. Think I'll celebrate tonight with something with a lot of sides, probably Gojira vs King Ghidorah (Heisei version) in CAV.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2019, 23:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
My fuses arrived this week and I got some time today. Now for a guy who looks at electronics wrong and they break replacing a fuse isn't as easy as it sounds. First I didn't want to remove anything except the top/side panel and that left a tiny gap to try and position the fuse into the housing with tweezers. Tried this for an hour unsuccessfully before giving into the fact I may have to lift a circuit board and manually move the tray (something that has every time resulted in me messing up the complex Sony tray and door mechanisms on other players). Then I looked at the back panel. Lots of screws, are those inputs and outputs attached to it I thought..? Hmmm, removed all the screws and it came away clean, giving me clear access! Put in a new fuse and the rear panel back on.

Plugged the power in..good as new! Looks like the old fuse did its job and protected the player. Phew, that was a close one, almost lost my only dual sided player and losing any otherwise reliable player at this point is bad news.

Very happy. Think I'll celebrate tonight with something with a lot of sides, probably Gojira vs King Ghidorah (Heisei version) in CAV.

:thumbup:

That is good news, it lives on :thumbup: .

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]