It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony Hil-C2EX laser pickup on eBay
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 18:08 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hello all,

I hope all is well with you.
I hope to get some advise. My lovely Sony HIL-C2EX stopped working.
I think it is the laser pick dead.
I found an eBay seller selling it for US$300.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KHS-160A-Original-Sony-Pull-Optical-Pickup-Laser-Lens-HIL-C2E-HIL-C2EX-Muse-NTSC-/142695401676
I hope anyone bought it from him and give me feedback. Is it new item?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Post subject: Re: Sony Hil-C2EX laser pickup on eBay
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 18:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unknown but I hope this topic can help Sony HIL-C2EX / Panasonic LX-HD20

pbiancardi has player and I think has fixed without issues, hopefully he can help.
My Panasonic LX-HD20 / Sony HIL-C2EX Information
Work in Progress / Look Inside Sony HIL-C1

Some other posts for this player, please search them up and good luck with getting it playing again.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 21:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think there is something flawed with these when you consider the rate at which the pickups die.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 22:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yep, way too high end of a player to be used on a daily basis to have so many fails.

You would think it was an entry level player for so many bad issues.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 15:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cplusplus wrote:
I think there is something flawed with these when you consider the rate at which the pickups die.

Isn't it pretty much all Sony pick-ups that seem to have issues? KHS-130a is used in a lot of players and always seems to go bad. I have always wondered if sitting unused for a long period of time somehow causes the Sony pickups to die? I have purchased numerous C2EXs and every single one has a bad pickup but works when you put a new one in.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 22:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pbiancardi wrote:
Isn't it pretty much all Sony pick-ups that seem to have issues? KHS-130a is used in a lot of players and always seems to go bad. I have always wondered if sitting unused for a long period of time somehow causes the Sony pickups to die?

I'm inclined to believe so. I've seen the same with KHS-130A. In contrast, the two KHS-150A units I have have were not problematic.

I recently acquired a Sony DVD player that had been in storage for a very long time. Dead KHS-180A inside. Original owner said it was working fine when he stored it away last, and I trust him since he is an acquaintance.

If the NOS pickups are consistently good and the units work fine after it is installed, there has to be something about the pickup sitting in the unit unused right?

Have you tried dissecting one of the dead KHS-160A assemblies to see if that could provide any further insight? I know it is probably a long shot, but given how these are very high-end units I think it would be worthwhile.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 00:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cplusplus wrote:
I recently acquired a Sony DVD player that had been in storage for a very long time. Dead KHS-180A inside. Original owner said it was working fine when he stored it away last, and I trust him since he is an acquaintance.

If the NOS pickups are consistently good and the units work fine after it is installed, there has to be something about the pickup sitting in the unit unused right?

My Sony, DVP-S7700 uses the KHS-180 and it currently has what I believe is a dead DVD pick-up (CD pick up is still fine). The unit was never in storage but I do admit I didn’t play that many discs on it for the past couple of years or longer. In any case, I did notice over a period of time (prior to it totally stop reading DVD discs) that it had trouble identifying DVD’s and chalked that up to newer discs with more aggressive copy protection (obviously that is not the case).

I plan to see about adjusting the DVD drive’s pot to see if that might bring it back but if not I picked up a used DVP-S300 as a donor unit to make a pick-up swap. Either way, this 7700 is getting fixed one way or the other as it’s an awesome player. But I admit I’m disappointed with the pick-up giving me issues but it does seem to be common. This pick up is also used on the 1st gen SACD players and they had problems as well.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2021, 01:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have the exact same situation. I'll PM you to avoid completely derailing this thread :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2021, 15:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

cplusplus wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
Isn't it pretty much all Sony pick-ups that seem to have issues? KHS-130a is used in a lot of players and always seems to go bad. I have always wondered if sitting unused for a long period of time somehow causes the Sony pickups to die?

I'm inclined to believe so. I've seen the same with KHS-130A. In contrast, the two KHS-150A units I have have were not problematic.

Have you tried dissecting one of the dead KHS-160A assemblies to see if that could provide any further insight? I know it is probably a long shot, but given how these are very high-end units I think it would be worthwhile.

I am not skilled enough for that.

So we have pickups that have been used in players then players sit for extended period of time and pickup is bad.
We also have NOS pickups that have been sitting on shelves for what 30+ years that work fine when put into players.

I can't explain it, what would cause a pickup that has been used to go bad when a NOS one that has never been used is still good?

I have witnessed the same with KHS-130a, buy a player and pickup is bad, put NOS pickup in and everything is fine. If you see an old Theta Data, EAD, or anything based on the Philips players that doesn't read discs its an almost sure bet that it needs a KHS-130a.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2021, 19:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I recently fixed a Sony, DVP-NC600, DVD Changer that had a bad spindle motor but I had to order a KHM-240 (combined laser pick-up, spindle motor, and sled) and it arrived w/ a defect that did not allow it to read DVD discs (CD's read fine).

The main reason that I believe it had this issue is because it arrived w/ the anti static GND point left unsoldered which is a big no no. The second reason could also be that the pick-up was used and the seller was pulling a fast one on me since I doubt Sony would sell pick-ups without the solder blob on the anti-static GND. In an case, I got my money back after some back and forth but I'll probably never buy a pick-up from any seller claiming a new part especially from China (I'll pick-up a good working player that can be donor from now on like the one I'll use for my DVP-S7700).

In any case, I did end up fixing the player by just transplanting the spindle motor from that bad pick-up and gave it back to my customer @ no charge. He was happy about it ;).

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]