It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:38

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: [CDV-W901] Red standby lit, no action power button press  Topic is solved
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 15:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi C++,

Thank you for the reply.

Okay, today after plugging in all the cable to the front panel and plugging the power cord back in, the standby light came back - as it has been doing. I press the power button and again the lens was doing its rapid tick.tick.tick.tick (like in the video).

This time, rather than just unplug again, I left the unit plugged in to the power for about five minutes.

I held the power button in and the unit went tick.tick.tick then the ticks started to get slower tick.tick.tick...tick...tick....tick......tick.........tick (you get the idea)

then the Quick Turn light started to flicker whilst I was holding / pressing the power. The the "Side A" flashed, then the Open/Close CD and LD buttons flashed on.

I released the power button and then pressed it again the the unit tried to turn on ! Display lit up. Then the machine powered down.

I pressed the power button again and this time the lens moved up and down the rail / runner at the bottom and the machine powered up.

Then I got a U1 error. uuggh

I then turned it off and went away to think.

Came back a few hours later and had to repeat all of the above just to get it "on" (it seemed to have gone "cold") - again U1. Most likely the rubber belt. I cleaned it and this time the display read "No Disc". Open CD / LD opened their respective trays.

I though I'd give a CD a go. Opened the CD tray, put a CD in, pressed play - tray closed, CD was mounted and unit started to spin the disc. - Error "E3"

had to unplug the unit and manually open the tray to the CD out successfully. Started to the close the tray and that is when I noticed it (two small gears near the lens) -- the M Holder (VNL1700) had now cracked. :(

So that's where I am at-the-moment.

I don't know why the unit started to slowly power-up after being plugged in for five minutes. If there is a problem with the FLKY board shouldn't it either "work" or "not work" -- but here once the unit had been left on for a while and the the power button held in for a bit - you would eventually get a result.

I don't know why this happens / is happening?

Once I get the m holder issue sorted, I'll continue to focus on this.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: [CDV-W901] Red standby lit, no action power button press
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 04:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Could very well just boil down to a capacitor issue, etc.

Possible case here could be you attempting to repeatedly turn it on, the unit getting warmer and capacitor ESR lowering, etc. Ton of different explanations though- this is just an example.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2021, 08:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

cplusplus wrote:
Could very well just boil down to a capacitor issue, etc.

Possible case here could be you attempting to repeatedly turn it on, the unit getting warmer and capacitor ESR lowering, etc. Ton of different explanations though- this is just an example.

Hello C++, thank you for the reply.

Have got the mholder issue fixed. :)

Yeah, have had the player plugged into the mains, red standby light on, 20 minutes after initially plugging it in, press power and machine powered on.

Tested a few CLV/CAV discs - - ejected the discs and pressed Power off. Left machine plugged in (red standby light on) - throughout the day, did random tests - press power and machine powered up straight away.

So, it's as you say - some ESR levels in the capacitors ( on the power-board ? ).

Next the step would be to: get an ESR meter, check the capacitors, find out which ones are causing this issue, remove them and solder in new ones.

I don't have an ESR meter, nor do I know how to solder -- have watched a few youtube videos - :) or take it to an electrician who could hopefully fix it.

But as long as the player stays plugged in (and the standby light is red) the unit should turn on when power is pressed ...

Cheers

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 15:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

david4 wrote:
So, it's as you say - some ESR levels in the capacitors ( on the power-board ? ).

Some better info here: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... n-the-cold

david4 wrote:
Next the step would be to: get an ESR meter, check the capacitors, find out which ones are causing this issue, remove them and solder in new ones.

I don't have an ESR meter, nor do I know how to solder -- have watched a few youtube videos - :) or take it to an electrician who could hopefully fix it.

Probably cheaper to just do a blind recap of power board. I'd order ones for FLKY too in the event power supply recap doesn't resolve it.

It isn't too bad- the most time consuming part is measuring existing capacitors and noting their values for ordering. You have to ensure you orient them the right way (like batteries) and avoid damaging board while removing them (I use solder sucker, some use braid).

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 15:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi C++, thank you for your reply.

cplusplus wrote:

Thanks for the read - some interesting info there. Guess I'll be keeping the unit plugged into mains fulltime now. :)

Quote:
Probably cheaper to just do a blind recap of power board. I'd order ones for FLKY too in the event power supply recap doesn't resolve it.

It isn't too bad- the most time consuming part is measuring existing capacitors and noting their values for ordering. You have to ensure you orient them the right way (like batteries) and avoid damaging board while removing them (I use solder sucker, some use braid).

Yeah, I have seen many 'how to solder' and 'check ESR levels on capacitors' videos :) -- this will be something to visit in the future when keeping the unit plugged in (on standby) no longer works.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 02:35 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello everyone,

A massive(?) update to this problem.

October 2022 my Yamaha stopped turning on (even though the standby light was still lit). Pressed the power button, nothing happened, no response etc. Oh well I thought, that was that.

To quote myself in the previous post:

david4 wrote:
this will be something to visit in the future when keeping the unit plugged in (on standby) no longer works.

Later on that week, I had been watching a few TV shows on my HD media player.

After watching a few episodes I turned off the media player and just before turning off the amp I decided to try and turn on the LD player. Much to my surprise, it turned on without any problems whatsoever. Very strange. But okay.

Following night, I tried to turn on the LD, as above, nothing happened. So I watched a few TV episodes of something, again, after finishing watching TV, I tried the LD player, and again, it turned on!

What the heck ? :)

Now, my AV rack has the amp on the lowest shelf, the middle shelf houses the Yamaha LD player and the top shelf has my two bluray players and a media player which is connected to some HDD towers.
Upon further investigation, the amp has heat vents on the top of it, and the shelves in the AV rack have holes for "air to flow up/out" -- so it appeared the heat coming from the amp had been heating the LD player's capacitors on its power-board.

That weekend, to test my theory I took the player back out of the rack and took off its case on the dining room table, plugged the player back in, standby light was lit, pressed power on, and again, nothing. I removed the cover, manually opened the tray and got the hair dryer from the bathroom. Being *very* *very* careful I waved the hair-dryer over the capacitors on the power-board once or twice, pressed power on and the LD player turned on and loaded as per normal.

Right, it seemed the caps were well and truly on the way out, and the only way to bring them back to life was literally warming them up.

Real life then got in the way of things for a bit.

Fast forward to this August, and after watching numerous youtube videos about soldering and desoldering, and many thanks to @brmanuk 's post brmanuk @ [CLD-D780] Won't power up - PCB re-cap (FIXED!) , which helped with the capacitors, I ordered new capacitors for the VWR-1268-B (which used exactly the same capacitors as his PCB in his post), making sure I got the volts and uF correct for each capacitor.

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning and part of the early afternoon desoldering all the capacitors from the power-board and soldering on the new ones I had ordered. I made doubly sure that the capacitors were the correct rating/voltage, had been oriented the right way etc and my soldering of the capacitors was halfway decent (not complete rubbish) :-)

I put the board back into the player, the standby light was lit, I pressed the power button and the machine powered up immediately, as it used to, as it should. :relaxed:

@cplusplus 's comment from cplusplus @ [CDV-W901] Red standby lit, no action power button pressed , a blind re-cap of the entire power-board seems to have fixed my problem. :)

So, that's where it is at-the-moment, problem seems to be fixed.

A big Thank You to @cplusplus for all his comments/help with this problem, "Thank you", and thank you to all who read this.

Here are two photographs of the power-board, one photo of the PCB before the re-cap and one after the re-cap.

Before:
Attachment:
VWR-1268-B-(1)Before recap.1.jpg
VWR-1268-B-(1)Before recap.1.jpg [ 201.13 KiB | Viewed 1288 times ]

After: ( Please ignore the nasty burn marks in the glue near C20 and C21. :-o )
Attachment:
VWR-1268-B-(2)After recap.1.jpg
VWR-1268-B-(2)After recap.1.jpg [ 201.18 KiB | Viewed 1288 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2023, 03:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

david4 wrote:
A massive(?) update to this problem.

Everyone loves a (well documented) happy ending!

I know that eventually some caps recap will be needed on some of my gears, and I'm not looking forward to doing it myself.

So kudos to you for daring the open-heart surgery approach :clap:

Julien

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2