It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yamaha CDV-S100 / CDV-M777
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 01:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

In this topic, discussion of working on this CDV-Single player (M777 seems to be mechanically & electrically the same as S100), as well as modifications.

Belts There are two belts, one which opens & closes the tray, & one which traverses the laser pickup assembly. These are likely to be fossilized. The Yamaha part numbers, VE801800 & VE023400, are unlikely to be available anywhere. The loading belt cross-references to VEB1184, the standard loading belt for Pioneer LD players such as the CLD-D704. This belt further cross-references to SCQ4.0 in the PRB series. I have found that is too slack for Pioneer LD players, & SCQ3.6 should be used instead, but for this case it works fine. The sled belt should probably be SCX3.2, but I have found that SCQ3.2, although somewhat heavier, seems to work OK.

Door On the S100, at any rate, the door-flap which is pushed down by the tray during the loading operation is held in a very peculiar way. It presses up against the inside of the front panel by pure spring tension. It is thus very likely to get dislodged, and jam, in which case the tray cannot be ejected. It is a simple matter to remove the faceplate & extract this flap. Be sure you get the spring at the same time! The door is by no means necessary to the player, but I found it easy enough to reinstall. My spring was stretched beyond use, but it was easily replaced with a similar-sized spring from a kit of VCR generic replacement parts.

Functional Check When you receive the player, it's not a bad idea to plug it in & switch it on. Also connect a video monitor to the video output, & a pair of headphones to the headphone jack (warning, there is no volume control). The front panel should light up, & a blue screen with "Yamaha CDV System" is the most likely thing to appear on the monitor. Now press the "open/close" button : if "Open" on a gray background appears on the monitor, & you hear a noise from inside the player, but nothing useful happens, the mechanism is probably jammed. Switch off, unplug, & remove the top cover of the machine. Find the loading gear & rotate it counterclockwise to try to eject the tray. (Fortunately, unlike many LD players, this gear is kind of self-adjusting, & shouldn't get "out of sync".) If it won't go, remove the faceplate & check the door flap. Also observe the loading belt. If you have a replacement belt, there's no loss in simply cutting it to remove it. Then you can rotate the loading gear by hand. Eject the tray, put a disc in, & return the tray inward.
Plug in, switch power on, & when the loading motor begins to spin, turn the loading gear clockwise so that the little limit switch registers "loaded". At this point, if all else is well, the disc should be detected, & spin briefly to read the Table of Contents. ToC information will appear on the front panel, as well as on the screen of the video monitor. Press "play", & the disc should start to play normally. I recommend starting with a burned CD, so that you haven't lost much in case something goes badly wrong, & also because they tend to be harder to read. Check skip forward & such operations. Then put in a CDV. The OSD should show the times for the two parts. You can then play the audio part, & press the "audio/video select" button to skip to the video part. If it plays, congratulations! If not, there's a long troubleshooting path ahead of you.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha CDV-S100 / CDV-M777
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 20:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

SPDIF Output Modification

There are several reasons for wanting to make this modification. A leading one is that the CDV-2201/M777 uses a single DAC to output both channels.

After carefully perusing a variety of Yamaha service manuals, I have not been able to find one which uses the same YM3618 chip. I have, however, familiarized myself with other similar chips, & the following is my conclusion.
There is no SPDIF output pin. Most later chips seem to include a segment in the block diagram marked "Digital Interface Transmitter", giving output via a pin marked "DIF". There is no such pin available.
It is both necessary and possible to fit a DIF chip. The CDX-1050 uses a YM3613B, hooked to a variety of pins on the YM3616, each of which has a corresponding pin on the YM3618. This takes the audio & subcode data as inputs, & generates the SPDIF signal. Several such chips are now on the market.

I am currently reading through datasheets to identify which chip will involve the least work.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 05:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Received two more of these today. Neither one plays. Both have some plastic breakage (the whole chassis is one great mass of injection-moulded plastics), but the main problem seems to be that the turntables aren't turning freely. The motors work, though. I'm really thinking it could be useful to remove & reinstall the turntables, using the procedure in the service manual in case of motor replacement as a guide, but first I have to obtain the turntable height gage, or somehow develop a substitute.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 08:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tried to describe both the best I could:

Yamaha CDV-S100
Yamaha CDV-M777

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]