It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CDV-W901] E3 error code
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 17:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Have a problem with my Yamaha. When the LD or CD button is pressed to open the drawer, I get the E3 error code. Opened up the top to get a look at what's going on and the laser assembly tries to move but stays in one place continually trying. I have included a link to the video of the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha CDV W901 E3 error code
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 22:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The laser is too far forward and is actually trying to move into the spindle. Manually turn the worm gear to move it back toward the back and then try to open again. If the laser moves all the way forward again then the micro switch that senses the position is bad or intermittent.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 23:37 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

The laser is too far forward and is actually trying to move into the spindle. Manually turn the worm gear to move it back toward the back and then try to open again. If the laser moves all the way forward again then the micro switch that senses the position is bad or intermittent.[/quote]

Manually moved the worm gear back but it keeps returning to the same spot and "stuttering" before it stops. Certainly seems like the micro switch. Is this a big job to replace the switch or is it really worth it? Thanks.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 23:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I feel if you can find a correct switch it sounds like an easy job but then again I don't have the player.

I'm no tech but if you can get it working its really worth it to keep as many players alive for as long as we can.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 00:02 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Have two working 901's rein-o but would sure like to get this one working as a backup. Always had good service from my Yamahas. Also have a Yamaha CDV 870. Works flawlessly.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 02:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it is the switch then this should have a board the LD and CD switches are mounted on that you need to swap out. I would first get the service manual for the 604 from the manuals section and follow the switch connections back to where you can measure them with an ohm meter. You would unplug the unit, move the pickup back and then measure the connections while moving the switches with your finger. You need to determine if it is a switch issue or laser movement circuit problem.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]