It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:12

Page 5 of 5 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Panasonic LX-600 and LX-900
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 23:11 
True fan
True fan

So I've had a second 900 I purchased from a good seller as a backup unit for sometime but I noticed the digital audio was crackling/popping and DTS was dead silent. This indicated a laser going out so the seller sent me a 600 to perhaps do a laser swap. I plugged it up and everything works fine but I noticed the picture is noisier than the 900. Is that a symptom of the 900 not having the ability to fully turn off the noise reduction?

I guess my biggest question is: is the laser the same or should I just leave it in the 600?

My main player is a 900 with ac3 mod but the reasons why I got the second one are that the video 1 went out and this player absolutely, positively, completely HATES any disc warpage. Sometimes it usually comes up in a spot or two as some crosstalk/waviness but at others it can just go nuts particularly at the end of a side on CAV.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2020, 23:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

1 Sorry I have no idea if lasers are compatible, I don't really think they are from what I sort of rememer reading in the past.

2 are you sure the digital is not rot? I ask as again I've read that some discs the digital audio will go first and I actually own a disc that plays
perfectly but has static in the digital audio.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 18:08 
True fan
True fan

It's perfectly fine on my main 900 and other players. On the player in question while watching a disc you'll notice all kind of defects pop up where there aren't any. The big sign of it being the laser is that DTS discs simply will play silently with no audio at all.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2020, 01:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Digital audio issues do not always mean the pickup is getting weak, but it does seem like the pickups are compatible based on [LX-900] Potential issue?

Since you are talking about swapping out the pickup, you'll need an oscilloscope so I would just go through the adjustments listed in the service manual before actually swapping them out. It sounds like it is in need of some. I'm not familiar at all with Panasonic units so I'm not sure if you'll need a 8" LD in order to reach all of the adjustment points while it is playing.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 21:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have you checked/measured for leaking or bad capacitors in the audio section?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 00:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserpaal wrote:
Have you checked/measured for leaking or bad capacitors in the audio section?

Definitely a possibility and worth checking. I've even had audio issues from a failed diode.

sdraper wrote:
the reasons why I got the second one are that the video 1 went out and this player absolutely, positively, completely HATES any disc warpage.

I've had two players where one of the two composite video outs failed. Both cases were the result of the 75ohm resistor failing. Either way this is pretty easy to debug with an oscilliscope by working back from the connector until you get a signal.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 02:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would not assume this is a laser until every other possibility had been exhausted. There are loads of issues that could cause the digital audio to be less than perfect (and it has to be perfect for DTS to work).

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 01:04 
True fan
True fan

I've had more weird issues pop up on my main 900. I had been testing out a number of new discs when I noticed some that were analog only had no right channel sound signal. Since I never use analog unless it's an analog only disc I had no idea that the right analog signal on both sets of ports has gone out. Sometimes it will cut in and out if you wiggle the cord but that's it. You can faintly hear the signal when it's plugged in.

Then suddenly my video signal dropped out and came back after I gave the player a break. This is the same main player I have that lost the signal in the port 1 and i had been using Port 2 composite with no issues. It has worked fins since then but I have been babying it. I use regular cables with no tight connectors or heavier audiophile cables.

Now that I have the 600 as my backup player I've used it some more and find it's similar in performance but lacks the ability to see all that you fast forward. While advancing it will skip though with gray-white frames. The picture quality is similar but with greater noise. Is the 600 supposed to be very close in performance to the 900? That's what I was hoping for as I wondered if i could just keep it as is as a backup unit.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 01:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You could have cold solder joints. You would have to remove the board to get to the under side to inspect to see this is the real problem and if it is then re-flow the solder.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 07:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sdraper wrote:
Now that I have the 600 as my backup player I've used it some more and find it's similar in performance but lacks the ability to see all that you fast forward. While advancing it will skip though with gray-white frames.

That is correct for any LD player that lacks the digital field memory circuit. When you FF or REW on a CLV disc, you will either get a distorted picture or gray fill ins (at least for Pioneer, I think they started doing the gray fill in sometime around the CLD-S201).

sdraper wrote:
The picture quality is similar but with greater noise. Is the 600 supposed to be very close in performance to the 900? That's what I was hoping for as I wondered if i could just keep it as is as a backup unit.

They mechanically should be identical but definitely the 900’s pic will be better since part of the use of the digital memory circuit will also provide digital video processing to the signal. You obviously won’t get that with the 600.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 10:25 
True fan
True fan

disclord wrote:
Gee, can you tell I love the LX-900? Until I bought it I was a die-hard Pioneer LaserDisc player fan and thought that only they could make an excellent LaserDisc player. My experience with the LX-1000 just reinforced those feelings, but now I think the 900 is an excellent alternative to a Pioneer Elite player. Of course, it comes down to personal preference - some may like the sharpness of the 900 and others may think its too sharp and prefer the slightly softer look of the Pioneer's. But it is a valid alternative and competes nicely with the CLD-97. And [b]you can get them much more cheaply than a CLD-97, 95 or 99.

LX-900 for the win! Downside to LX-900 is that earlier version of it 1992 ad 1993 have agl/apl color issues when it comes to the blacks and whites I believe I read on here. That and the LX-900 cuts off a small percent of the right side of the screen which will be noticeable on a big lcd screen. I notice that my right black bar side is slightly bigger than the left because of the lost pixels. That's weird that Panasonic LX-900 does that and even stranger it does it in the 1995 revision model too. So they never even corrected this and I don't know why. It does produce a gorgeous video picture though.

Page 5 of 5 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5