It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LX-600] Trouble with DTS audio
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2022, 16:55 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My LX-600 doesn't like DTS audio. Normal PCM audio is fine. Playing several known good DTS discs results in dropouts and distortions. These discs play fine through my system on other players so it is for sure a player issue. The optical cable is good and works on other players.

What can be done, if anything?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: LX-600 has trouble with DTS audio
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2022, 23:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like the same issue sfmarine0311 is having with his McIntosh MLD-7020.

DTS Issue, receiver or rot?

If it's RF level being the issue, that may not be fixable since Panasonic players lack the ability to manually tweek it from what I recall Kurtis mentioning about it.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 15:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks man, yeah I'm aware of the DTS/Digital Audio Laser sag thing. I'm hoping that isn't it and maybe just a dirty lens.

I do have the remote and the SM describes how it sort of auto calibrates things via the remote unlike how Pioneer machine are totally manual. I have yet to want to go down that road.

I'm in sort of a LD player issue whack a mole right now; 704 spindle motor replacement, CLD-99 Power Supply caps, LX600 dirty lens or bad laser, S2 #2 needs work loading, V888 side B skipping.....remind me why we like these things again ;)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 14:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yep -- focus and tracking are auto adjusted. Great idea in 1993. Terrible in 2022. The test CD used in this adjustment pops up every now and then, but the test LD I have never seen (and I even have the Sony and Yamaha 8" test discs).

Someone brought me a LX-900 with similar issue. Can't remember if DTS specifically but digital out would dropout every now and then. Was hard to reproduce -- seemed to show up more often right after several rapid chapter seeks. Rail grease had become like dry powder. I re-greased everything. VCXO in audio section was ever so slightly off, so I tweaked that.

I've got a LX-600 I've been meaning to run the auto adjust on with a Pioneer disc for science.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2022, 15:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cplusplus wrote:
Yep -- focus and tracking are auto adjusted. Great idea in 1993. Terrible in 2022. The test CD used in this adjustment pops up every now and then, but the test LD I have never seen (and I even have the Sony and Yamaha 8" test discs).
If you see it get it. I'll pay for it or if you have it and can make me an image to burn I'd appreciate it!

cplusplus wrote:
Someone brought me a LX-900 with similar issue. Can't remember if DTS specifically but digital out would dropout every now and then. Was hard to reproduce -- seemed to show up more often right after several rapid chapter seeks. Rail grease had become like dry powder. I re-greased everything. VCXO in audio section was ever so slightly off, so I tweaked that.

I've got a LX-600 I've been meaning to run the auto adjust on with a Pioneer disc for science.

When I put this one back in rotation I'll check with several DTS discs and see if that is really the issue. Never had an issue with PCM. I did clean the rails when I got it. Whats the VCXO? Video Carrier Crystal Oscilator? :)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 03:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sonicboom wrote:
Whats the VCXO?

"Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillator"

This can be checked and adjusted easily with a frequency counter, but it might not have been to root cause.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]