It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LX-200PX] Only playing certain discs
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 16:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

There are some laser discs that work on my machine. The ones that don't seem to get an error where it shows all zeros. Does that mean it does not recognize a laser disc?

I tested my discs in alphabetical order, and broken down the list into stuff that does work and stuff that doesn't. Be mindful that if I play enough of a disc tht does work, a disc that may work will work once, but when I eject it and reload the same title, (which I didn't test) it ceases to work the next time. It's like I get a one-disc reprieve for any disc working.

Here are the ones that do work:

Apocalypse Now
Arachnophobia
Beckett
Cliffhanger
UFO Vols 1, 2, & 4

Here are the ones that don't:

Amadeus
Batman & Mr Freeze – Subzero
Batman Forever
Batman – Mask of the Phantasm
Congo
Fantasia
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
Innerspace
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie
Paramount Pictures Promotional Sampler Laserdisc
Sleepless in Seattle
Star Wars: IV, V, & VI
Superman: The Movie
Toy Story
Undersea Kingdom
The Voyager Odyssey
Wayne's World

This laser disc sometimes working makes me think one internal part is off. Anyone now what that one part is, how much it would cost if I ordered it from Panasonic Parts directly, and how much a typical electronics repairman would charge in either labor dollars or labor hours.

Post subject: Re: Panasonic LX-200PX only playing certain discs
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 23:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

And it was working on every disc before, and it's the same error on all the non working discs, showing zeroes. I assume if the discs were damaged, there'd be runtime errors of various audio and video problems, but the fact that all are reading zeroes, and a CD sometimes reads all zeroes in between all this, and I played the CDs successfully on an alternate CD player, makes me think there is a read error, and it's an issue with the player, not the media.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 16:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I took it to a local repairman, and based on my description, his analysis was a weak laser. He said he can fix it for $200, but I could get a laser disc with Toslink and Component video for $150 on ebay. Anyone with a DIY solution, or must I start enjoying UFO to get the other discs to work?

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 17:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

???? I don't know if i would trust him.
Does he have experience with LD players.
Kurtis has more knowledge of Panasonic players and in a post once he said something like they are different than Pioneer players.
Can't remember what he said just that they were something like switches???
Also that player really isn't worth 200 bucks if you ask me.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 23:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Exactly, previous poster, for $150-$200 I could have bought on Ebay a Pioneer Laser Disc/DVD player with component video outputs and both Toslink and Coaxial digital audio, and that includes the heavy $50 shipping to me. I'm seeing if someone with more knowledge can point me in the right direction.

If I'm right about the Laser Disc, the disc is either encoded in AC-3, which is an old name for Dolby digital 5.1, so it should work with my Turtle Beach X42s, or it could be encoded in DTS 5.1. I believe all players with digital audio outputs, either Toslink or coaxial, can play Both Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 and the disc player reads and "passes through" the digital signal to be decoded by either a surround sound decoder or gaming headphones. If that is the case all Dolby discs will work on my x42. The X42 has no method of decoding DTS and converting to Dolby. Most people listening with a modern surround sound machine can natively accept both and would play both, but in my sitch, I need Dolby all the way. Don't some Laser Discs have separate Dobly and DTS versions of the disc and would say so on the package and disc, kind of like original ratio widescreen and "fits my tv" which, unless your watching on a CRT TV, DOESN'T fit your TV and you lose a big percentage of the original frame anyway? .)

The problem is that the laser only seems to "wake up" after watching UFO for 10 minutes. Then I can insert another disc maybe watch side A and B and maybe one more side, and then it falls asleep and reads all zeroes. Once I pause, rewind or fast forward too much it also looses it. Even with CDs, yet when I play a CD on an alternate CD player, it plays perfectly fine. but load UFO a few times and t*t works again. I'm seeing if someone who can fix it lives close enough to Cleveland Ohio, we can go as far as Detriot, Cincinnatti, Pittsburgh, or Erie to make it travel there, we have errands to do in Pittsburgh and Erie anyway, sometimes we visit Cincinnatti, and my Uncle lives in Ann Arbor. If we plan in advance, we can make a stop somewhere with my Dad's permission. I can drop it off continue to my destination, and you can repair it. You call us when it's done, and we'll pick it up. Save on shipping.

Any takers? I'm in no hurry. If anyone in a 200 mile radius of Cleveland, Ohio can fix this, let me know. I want to hear your diagnosis, estimate of part cost if applicable and your labor cost, and I'll see whether it's worth a trip, or whether I should get used to the first episode of UFO. Because $50 shipping there and $50 shipping back is not worth the cost of a Panasonic, when $150-200 can get me a guaranteed working Pioneer with YCbCr and Toslink Dolby 5.1.

PostPosted: 12 May 2017, 00:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tripletopper wrote:
YCbCr and Toslink Dolby 5.1.

YCbCr only works with the DVD section.

Good luck with your player or future player.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]